“DON'T STAY HERE!!”
Review of The Beeches Hotel

The Beeches Hotel
Ranked #44 of 50 Hotels in Norwich
Reviewed 17 November 2013

I booked a room for a Saturday night in the Plantation Hotel, £80.00. No breakfast included, ok, similar priced hotels were not providing breakfast either. The best things that can be said about this hotel is that it's very easy to walk to city centre, it's also very quiet. But...
I received the codes to get into the hotel and a separate code room code, for Room 39, along with a statement that if I found anything wrong with the room on arrival, the only way they would take a complaint is by email, and absolutely not by phone. I don't have email on my mobile phone (I'm sorry, some of us just don't!) so I couldn't email to let them know that there was no light in the fixture above the basin in the bathroom, the bathroom floor was filthy, the light on the wall above the TV didn't work, there was no soap in either of the soap dispensers, no bathmat to step on to, there were unidentifiable, but definitely unpleasant stains on the carpet, possibly vomit related, no hairdrier, the toilet handle had to be practically wrenched three times to get the loo to flush, I couldn't open one of the windows, which incidentally are covered with a white substance, so no natural light into the room, but then again it saves on curtains - yes there were no curtains. There was only one towel for each guest, the shower curtain and the loo roll were of the cheapest flimsiest material possible, the bedding was appalling - I'm not sure the sheet, pillowcases and duvet cover had been changed since the last occupant of the room, the pillows - only one per person and no spares in the wardrobe - were lumpy, as was the duvet. I put a tee shirt over the pillow as an extra pillowcase and slept fully clothed. I have stayed in hotels all over Europe and have rarely found one as bad as this. It is possible to have a clean, comfortable room, with all lights working, hairdrier supplied, plenty of towels, breakfast included for £50.00 (check out The Big Sleep in Cheltenham - great hotel). Please do not make the same error as me - don't stay here.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jelytoda

Reviewed 10 November 2013

We stayed at the beeches hotel in Norwich for 1 night. Previously a nice hotel we understood it had been taken over by another company, so were dubious but because of cheap rate and only a short stay thought it was worth the risk. Wrong!!! Cheap yes it was but certainly would not return. Initially couldn't find the room, it appeared we had been allocated a room in a stable/outbuilding. There is no reception or any staff based at the hotel and the email received pre stay did not provide directions to our outbuilding accommodation. Once we found the room, we then found a small dark windowless room, with no separate bathroom but a shower in the corner of the room. The toilet was filthy, previous guests excrement still visible. The room was extremely damp and smelt foul so much so once home all clothes had to be washed due to damp smell. Cobwebs everywhere in the room. The shower was broken and found it difficult adjusting temperature. We have travelled the world and stayed in more plush backpacking hostels. It was a bed for one night but would recommend no families or children stay in this so called hotel!! Finally it seems to be appropriate for younger guests who apparently find it reasonable to be very loud throughout the night without consideration for others. It reminded me of university halls but the beeches is far worse.

• Stayed: November 2013
2  Thank Amesord100
Reviewed 9 October 2013

Pam J - Australia
Do not touch this place with a 100 ft barge pole .... how it still operates as an accommodation facility defies logic, and serious questions should be asked of the governing body that approves such a place.
We arrived late afternoon in early September 2013 - firstly the code would not work for the front door - we then knocked on the door for a while, and a guest opened the door which we thanked him for. We then tried the codes for our x2 rooms. Only 1 of these worked, however we were able to check out a room. 'Disgusting' was our combined first response - the smell, the broken springs on the bed, the painted over windows, etc, etc, etc. was more than enough to have all our hackles rising.
I immediately rang the number on our booking sheet, only to have a recorded message - and even that was extremely rude !!
I left a message regarding the codes, the disgusting state of the premises and to let them know I would be contacting Booking.com to express our total disgust that they would handle bookings for such a place, and also to let them know I would be contacting Trip Advisor as well as the Tourinst Information Centre in Norwich to express our opinion of 'The Beeches'.
We decided to write our money off and found a lovely B&B a short distance down the road.
We spoke to a couple of locals in the carpark as we were leaving and they made the comment - "You're not stopping there are you??"
We also let the owners at the B&B we stayed at, of our experience at 'The Beeches'.
Hopefully our comments, with the many others on this page, will 'save' others from doing their money or having a 'horrible experience' on their holidays.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
5  Thank Pam J
Reviewed 8 October 2013

Avoid MJB hotels especially The Governor's Hotel in Norwich. Non-existant service and non-existant security.

The standard of the accommodation was very poor and the security could not have been worse.
The room was very disappointing: no windows, broken taps and broken shower-fittings, a shabby solitary towel each, no soap, no wi-fi (even though this was advertised). I was presented with a long list of forbidden activities, including smoking on the premises - ironically, in a room full of your staff's cigarette smoke! The only reason that I did not request an immediate cancellation was that the location was very convenient and I had arrived at the last minute.
On the second evening, the room had not been made up and obviously no effort had been made to clean. After getting into bed, we were suddenly surprised by a party of guests entering our room and announcing that they had booked it! Obviously security is non-existent, as these strangers had the code to our door - what might have happened to our belongings if we had not been there when they arrived? We had to spend the remainder of the night wondering who was going to wander in from outside (there was no way to bar the door as it opened outwards). No staff appeared to change the code or to provide any assistance - a minimum precaution I would have expected. No apology was offered the next morning - your staff found the situation amusing but were otherwise totally indifferent.
In addition, I was informed that rooms are only cleaned after a stay of 4 nights or more - an unacceptably poor standard compared to other hotels.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel...
Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Jane G
Reviewed 6 October 2013

Just had a lousy weekend at the Beeches. No staff at all to help you, codes and keypads for all the doors, very anonymous. A bit like staying in a holding cell. Windows painted out, carpets grubby, no toilet paper in the communal loo and no spare to be found anywhere. Avoid like the plague. Only gave it a one star review because I can't choose 0.

Room Tip: Just don't stay here.
Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Rob D
Reviewed 1 October 2013

Do not stay in this hotel .
I have never had such an unpleasant and frightening experience . Two of the walls were covered in squashed insects ....brown gunge dripped down another .Most of the lighting didn't work and the windows didn't open. I was woken at 3 . 45 am by some drunk trying to get in the room below mine , swearing and shouting . I have visited third world countries by myself and not once felt afraid .....didn't think I would experience fear in Norwich.....and all for £80 for a night . What a scandal !!!!

Room Tip: Don't stay in any of them
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank lizzie468
Reviewed 25 September 2013

Booked this hotel not only was it like staying in a third world prison but when i got locked out my room as they had given me the wrong code i called them and had a very rude arrogant guy telling me it was all my fault and they were going to take £120 out my account for compensation. i am currently trying to block the transaction with my bank and block all further transactions. im horrified this has happened and the company are just bothered about taking more money! Please i advise anyone who is booking a hotel not to touch this one. its mouldy dirty, mushrooms growing through the carpets and they charge you the earth for the pleasure and keep on taking!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business