“DISGUSTING - STAY AWAY”
Review of The Beeches Hotel

The Beeches Hotel
Ranked #44 of 50 Hotels in Norwich
Reviewed 20 March 2014

Upon arriving at this hotel I had to stand outside as I had not received my key code (there are no staff). The room itself was in the basement and reached via a hallway cluttered with old sofas, mattresses and a clapped out old TV. There was no window, no TV, no kettle and no WIFI (they advertise the rooms with WIFI). There was a dirty stainless steel sink in the corner the type that you might find in an industrial kitchen. When I complained to the manageress she rudely told me it was my own fault, and that I should have checked whether there was a window or not before I booked!
I asked if I could be moved to one of the empty rooms upstairs and was told yes, of course, as long as I pay again (yes, no refund). The hotel's cleaning policy is terrible. They allegedly change towels and bedding on the 5th day of your stay! I was in Norwich for work, and elected to commute rather than stay here. Do not stay in this place. It really is disgusting

Room Tip: Go to another hotel - preferably not part of the MJB Group
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
5  Thank paul s

Reviewed 18 February 2014

I booked a room for 2 of my guys who are working away to stay in. We book rooms at the same price and the same quality about 15 to 20 times a week an in the most you get what you pay for standard rooms with not many facilities however they are nearly always clean.
Cleanliness in my opinion is a basic standard for any hotel or service industry to meet and if you fail on that you try your hardest to put it right. It seems at this hotel that is not the case.

Unfortunately when the guys checked in they were met with a horrible smell, dirty bed linen and small beetles/bugs in the bathroom. They called me and i spoke to a lady on reception who although tried to help me by saying she would get the room cleaned when her maintenance man came back from another hotel was unable to let me speak to a manager/duty manager or even a supervisor. Most hotels have some sort of manager at night to deal with any problems but again the procedures of this hotel seem to be lacking. I asked for a refund so i could book another hotel and was told that they had a no refund policy!

The guys did stay until the room was cleaned again but afterwards it wasn't any better and the linen that was changed was just as bad. They decided it was better to sleep in the van than stay at the hotel!! not good!!

I rang up to speak to the manager today and as you can imagine i got pretty much the same terrible attitude from him and i can now see why the hotel is so poor. Imagine how good the staff feel when they have this kind of attitude directed to them all the time. I did explain that i was going to be leaving a poor review and was told by the receptionist that she didn't take kindly to my threats! The manager informed me that he would not be authorizing a refund due to me being rude with the receptionist ( see comments about trip advisor for me being rude) i thought i had the right as a customer to leave feedback but it appears not! He told me to take the matter up with booking.com as they were my booking agent and then hung up. I have spoken to booking.com and they are looking into the matter.

As a final note i do like to find positives on every review i do but in this case i have nothing, i would just say if you decide to book here good luck and i hope the hotel can improve it's service for you.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
7  Thank Mark T
Reviewed 15 February 2014

I accidentally entered the wrong date for my on line booking, called them straight away to change it and in fact I wanted two nights instead of one! They completely refused, its your mistake tough, you have to pay for a date you don't want. The manager Damian was rude, and I am totally shocked by their attitude. I could understand if I was trying to cancel the booking although together but changing it for another date and for an extra night - beggars belief. Needless to say I will be asking my credit card company to reject the payment - what a bunch of losers!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Everden99
Reviewed 29 January 2014

First comment - it is ridiculously difficult to even gain access to the building as a paying guest.

I booked a room two weeks in advance and was told that I would receive a door code for the hotel and my room by email. 1 week before, the code had not arrived, so I emailed and was told that it would arrive 24 hours before the booked night. At 10 am on the day the code had still not arrived so I telephoned and was told it would arrive by 4 pm at the latest. This meant I would not be able to drop my bags at the hotel prior to attending an event as I had planned. 6:30 pm that evening, the code had *STILL* not turned up in my inbox. I telephoned to ask where it was and the hotel representative finally, after huffing and puffing, told me the code to the hotel and my room. This is a completely unacceptable level of customer service! Not to mention it could be disastrous for guests who do not have smart phones or the telephone number of the hotel.

Second comment - bad smell.

When I finally gained access to the room, it had a smell which I can only describe as sickly-sweet mould with an undertone of old tobacco smoke. In the corner of the room there was a broken mini-fridge which clearly had not been cleaned for some time and smelled of off cheese when the door was opened, adding to the general bad odour of the room.

Third comment - broken/missing amenities.

The TV in the room switched on but could not detect any signal - I tried reprogramming/scanning with no success. In addition, the soap was missing so I had to use shower gel to wash my hands.

Fourth comment - noisy

Once in bed, I discovered that the room had extremely thin walls which transmit noise easily from the next door guests. I found myself kept awake by a snoring couple on one side and a TV-watching insomniac on the other.

All in all, I think I would have done better to save my money and stay out all night.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank Jessica W
Reviewed 16 January 2014

My girlfriend and I stayed in the Governor's MJB for one night before her Medical school interview. It cost £22 for both of us. Coming from London, this price is unheard of! Seriously, I have never come across accommodation this cheap! Having read some awful reviews we had extremely low expectations, but were pleasantly surprised. NEGATIVES: bad smell, very lumpy mattress and no plug in the bath (if you fancy one). POSITIVES: my uni accommodation smells like a colonoscopy ward, has a mattress that makes gordon ramsay's face look like a Dove model, doesn't have a bath, or tv, or double bed, and it sets me back 4x the price! So to conclude, a high-end student digs for a fraction of the price-what more do you need!

• Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank saudet1
Reviewed 5 January 2014

I am an older woman and was on a business trip. The company booked me into the Beeches for my final night. The locations was great. However, there was no reception and the staff I found were unfriendly and defensive. Once I had been given the entry code (begrudgingly) - I found the room and decided I could not stay there. Might have been ok if you were a builder working away (but even then - I'm sure some builders would want more). It did not feel safe and it did not seem particularly clean. The duvet cover was all creased as though it had been left screwed up for awhile - the window was whitewashed over (to save having curtain?) and there was a general run down feeling. I told reception I could not stay and as I returned to my car - a large man in a dark suite shouted to ask if he could help me - in a tone that indicated there would be an argument. I said 'no' and just drove off and left. This company have an 'attitude' - maybe they are setting up for newly arrived immigrants to use because they won't stay in business in a general way.

Room Tip: Don't stay
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
5  Thank woowoo77
Reviewed 31 December 2013

They took £100 from my card for "damage" that was already there when we got the room. Nobody cleaned the room during the entire stay. Mattress was disgusting: no cover ancient and stained. Walls were marked and dirty. Huge cobwebs in the first room. Pillows were revolting. Stay well AWAY!

• Stayed: December 2013