“STAY AWAY”
Review of The Beeches Hotel

The Beeches Hotel
Ranked #44 of 50 Hotels in Norwich
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Without a doubt the worst hotel experience and not at all cheap - blood in the room doors that wouldn't open A 100 pound parking ticked levied by operators working for MJB despite informing them of the numberplate - they are not interested in helping or listening. STAY AWAY AT ALL COSTS - a false economy. Dreadful. You have been warned

• Stayed: May 2014
4  Thank Unthank

Reviewed 28 April 2014

One of the strangest places I have ever had the misfortune to stay in, there have been very few worse in this country.

The only positive thing I can say about the place is that it has a good location, close to one of the city's cathedrals and within easy walking distance of the city centre.

It is fairly cheap, but I wouldn't say this represents good value for money (see below).

Visitors are emailed a code to access the main front door and another one for their room. Beeches House has a dirty, haunted, derelict feel about the place and an overwhelming sense that any expense is too much to the detriment of the staying guests.

Sure enough, on entering your room, this is confirmed. The bedding was truly revolting and had past guests' hair in it as well as stains (blood or poo, I didn't put my face close enough to try to find out), doubtless it had not been washed for some time. The room itself smelt like most badly kept, grotty accommodation. The carpet was also dirty.

One of the worst features is that the windows are all coated up with some adhesive material, ensuring that no natural light is allowed into the room. This adds a whole extra layer of depression about the place.

The bathroom was just about functional, although the bathroom door could not shut as it was swollen from the damp. The toilet flush did not work particularly well and a bowel-like groan accompanied each attempt at using it. I was actually surprised when the shower dispensed hot water. Towels, (like the toilet paper....), were very thin.

Anybody contemplating a romantic trip with a partner should be warned this place could and should end your relationship, with whoever booking it being extremely culpable. Then again, this may have its uses for some.

It is a disgrace to run properties to this standard, especially when the original buildings do not look as if, once upon a time, they were all that bad.

To be avoided at all costs

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Damian B
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Stayed one night, room was smelly and mouldy. Also wasn't given my pin code to get in until I rang them confused. Also despite registering my car in the car park I still got a parking ticket of £100, which I refused to pay. Disgusting service and mack on the phone was extremely rude.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank Hollie P
Reviewed 27 April 2014

This place is a nightmare. Arrived late at night only to find that I had not been sent the keycode as promised. Others in our group were sent the wrong key codes, or else their rooms were occupied by other tenants. One person had to drain their bathtub of dirty water. The beds are awful---ours had fleas.

Room Tip: You must be kidding
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank ChristineAmsterdam
Reviewed 9 April 2014

Looks like a dive from outside bedding was dirty windows were borded up in bedroom, took one look at the room and bedding and turned straight back out!! Heard good things about MJB definitely not using them again!!!

• Stayed: April 2014
5  Thank ldought
Reviewed 5 April 2014

We stayed here for 1 night arrived at 4pm, first of all no reception as apartments the email we received with key code was wrong so we had to phone another mjb hotel nearby to get code. it appears prostitution was going on as a lady in a dressing gown talking to 'a client' on mobile when we got back to apartment later that evening. We were in the converted school annexe, our room had painted out windows, was filthy - we had to sleep on top of bed as we suspected infestation, the bathroom had no door, shower filthy and loo did not flush. Hardboard partition walls meant we could hear snoring and a battered microwave and tv with no remote control high up wall.
We paid £25 for the night, found out nearby budget hotels were better value.
The only plus point was it was near to city centre and restaurants.

Room Tip: Try travelodge or premier inn.....
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Darryl T
Reviewed 20 March 2014

Upon arriving at this hotel I had to stand outside as I had not received my key code (there are no staff). The room itself was in the basement and reached via a hallway cluttered with old sofas, mattresses and a clapped out old TV. There was no window, no TV, no kettle and no WIFI (they advertise the rooms with WIFI). There was a dirty stainless steel sink in the corner the type that you might find in an industrial kitchen. When I complained to the manageress she rudely told me it was my own fault, and that I should have checked whether there was a window or not before I booked!
I asked if I could be moved to one of the empty rooms upstairs and was told yes, of course, as long as I pay again (yes, no refund). The hotel's cleaning policy is terrible. They allegedly change towels and bedding on the 5th day of your stay! I was in Norwich for work, and elected to commute rather than stay here. Do not stay in this place. It really is disgusting

Room Tip: Go to another hotel - preferably not part of the MJB Group
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business