“Dosshouse”
Review of The Beeches Hotel

The Beeches Hotel
Ranked #44 of 50 Hotels in Norwich
Reviewed 11 August 2014

All MJB hotels seem to have the same low standards and lack of service. I have no idea how they survive in this day and age. I guess their roots are in the dosshouses of medieval times.
I went like a lamb to the slaughter. Couldn't get in - I'd been given a wrong passcode. Couldn't find my room - I'd been given a wrong number. Sat miserably in a scruffy, gloomy environment wishing I'd spent £5 more on a slightly less terrible Travelodge. Considered suicide.
Most people who stay appear to be workmen on local building projects trying to find a bargain. I don't get the impression many return.
You will find MJB dosshouses show up on hotel comparison sites. Avoid unless you like hassle and discomfort.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
7  Thank AirGuitar

Reviewed 10 August 2014

This hotel is absolutely vile nobody should book this hotel. A taxi driver warned us that this is where the local prostitutes and drug addicts stay. As soon as you drive in there is debris on the floor broken glass litter. Rooms are filthy mould on walls stains on sheets cobwebs very unclean. No customer service anywhere so you cannot complain. You cannot open windows and they are painted. Shared bathrooms disgusting you would not want to enter. The smell when you walk in was vile I cannot describe. DO NOT BE TEMPTED BY THE PRICE STAY SOMEWHERE ELSE. I will be contacting environmental health Norwich tourist information and Norwich city council this hotel and others managed by MJB should be closed down. NOT EVEN A ONE RATING SHOULD BE GIVEN WORSE THAN TERRIBLE. THE HOTEL WAS THE PLANTATION PART OF THE MJB GROUP DO NOT STAY AT ANY MJB.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
10  Thank coops5Suffolk
Reviewed 7 August 2014

My wife and I recently visited the lovely cathedral city of Norwich and had the great misfortune of staying three nights at the MJB Plantation Hotel on Earlham Road. Up to now, I’ve only written glowing reviews for TripAdvisor, but I must make an exception in this case. We’ve stayed in a whole range of accommodations during our many years of traveling to the UK, but MJB was by far the worst we have ever experienced. Perhaps this review can serve as a warning to other unsuspecting travelers.

First of all, MJB management are very unresponsive in their e-mail communications. I never received access codes that they were supposed to e-mail ahead of time even after my e-mailing them more than once. That made check-in a chaotic and time-consuming affair. When we arrived, we didn’t know exactly which of their several buildings we should go to. No reception office is indicated. We finally got checked in and were told which building our room was in. The only concern in the office was to collect our money. No welcome, help or advice was given. With some guesswork on our part, we found the building and our room.

The entrance to our building was dirty and littered with empty cigarette packages and liquor bottles, uninviting to say the least. The first thing we noticed when we entered the building was a powerful acrid smell of mold and mildew. A huge portion of the wall behind the staircase was visibly scarred with long swathes of mold and mildew.

When we entered our room, my first reaction was to want to turn around and flee. It was dark, smelly, musty, stuffy, small, and very depressing. The whole interior of the building, in fact, was depressing—dark, smelly, decrepit, foreboding, like those cobwebby haunted houses you see in the movies. But this wasn’t just cosmetic “atmospherics”—it was a genuine state of being run down and insufficiently maintained.

More about our room: The shower did not work at all; at least two lightbulbs were missing; the sheets on the bed were dirty with someone’s hair on them and more; the towels were damp and had obviously been used by someone then left for us, as if we wouldn’t notice. The one chair in the room had crud on it including a dead bug; the rug was unvacuumed; the overall feeling of dirtiness made your skin crawl.

The windows (one in the room, one in the bathroom) were painted or coated so that you couldn’t see out of them. You couldn’t open the bathroom window at all and the one in the room could only be opened about three inches. Thank goodness I had my Swiss army knife with me, so I was able to undo the screw that locked the window down and open it wider, otherwise the claustrophobic feeling and stuffiness would have been too much to bear. I can’t imagine what an occupant would do in case of emergency.

We didn’t dare use the tea service knowing that little attention would have been paid to it over time; the mere thought disgusted us. As I mentioned, the shower did not work. Bathing was done by wetting a towel under the hot and cold spigots and dousing yourself with it while kneeling uncomfortably in the bathtub, somehow working soap into the process. Our own soap; no soap was provided. The liquid soap dispenser above the sink was empty and clearly had been for some time. The shower curtain (not that it was needed with a shower that didn't work) was flimsy to a fault, and the shower-curtain rod was an unsupported plastic pipe contrivance that would have broken off under the slightest pressure, like a damp towel hanging over it to dry.

We returned to “reception” when we first saw the room and got them to at least change the sheets and towels. To accomplish that, a group of four people went into the room, constantly arguing among themselves the whole time it took to change the bedding and towels. It was a madhouse. I have never witnessed such unprofessional, disorganized, unsightly hotel staff.

When we politely inquired about changing rooms, we were met with negativity and nary a shred of concern for our welfare or comfort or what could be done to make things better. A “we-don’t-care” attitude was all we received.

We enjoyed our visit to Norwich City but sadly, time spent in our room was depressing and oppressive and memorable in the worst possible way. If nothing else, it taught me to be more discerning when I book accommodations on-line, even though I believe such a substandard hotel should not be permitted to solicit customers through any reputable booking website.

If you are considering booking a room at MJB, don’t. Even if the tariff seems attractive, don’t. If you already have and had a similar experience to ours, then I urge you to contact Norwich Tourist Information and Norwich City Council with your complaints, as well as whatever booking website you used. The owners of the MJB hotels must be brought to account and made to seriously deal with the glaring health and safety hazards rife in the MJB buildings, never mind the lack of standard amenities. The MJB Plantation Hotel is far below any acceptable standard and should be closed until extensive renovations are completed and management and staff are retrained or replaced.

Room Tip: Book a room elsewhere, NOT here.
9  Thank Footpathsforall
Reviewed 5 August 2014

On first impressions it's what you'd expect for a cheap place.room was clean but like an oven.the blinds had no draw string so they stayed down and the window was only open 4 inches as there were two screws blocking the runner.i did what the signage said and registered my vehicle, happy days...no, at 03.05am, the company's traffic wardens came round and slapped a £100 parking ticket on my van.apperently I had not registered my van properly.be very careful about staying in this place and if at all possible stay clear of it.its a money making scam.

• Stayed: August 2014
2  Thank Leonard B
Reviewed 29 July 2014

I stayed here with my wife and her parents to attend graduation at the UEA. We booked this hotel based on the price, and convenience for the Uni and the city centre.

I recently cycled across Eastern Europe and, in six weeks of soviet-era hotels and backpacker hostels, never stayed in a hotel as disgusting as The Beeches.

The smell that hit us when we opened the bedroom door was like sticking your head into a damp wetsuit. The carpet clearly hadn't been cleaned in ages (I really hope someone had dropped some chocolate on the floor, but it may have been faeces).
There was no shower over the bath, just the capped off plumbing for one and a ripped shower curtain.
A fridge, microwave, kettle and three mugs were provided. The mugs were dirty, and we didn't dare look in the fridge or microwave.
There was a sign up in the carpark to register your car with the hotel - I missed this, and got a £60 fine. My father-in-law did register his car, and got two £60 fines. When he complained about this to the receptionist, she threw his phone on the floor.
In the hotel's favour - the location is good, just a few minutes walk from the town centre.

Room Tip: Don't go there.
6  Thank Rob H
Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

Had the worst nights sleep ever! Bed was uncomfortable, there is no privacy having booked a twin room, the washing facilities were not private. fire alarm went off at 5:30am, lasting for approximately 20 minutes

• Stayed: July 2014
4  Thank Chazney24
Reviewed 25 July 2014

We arrived and I text the car details as requested so that we would not get a parking ticket, we woke up the following morning with a £100 fine. The hotel "lobby" area was filthy and clearly had not been hoovered in months. Our bed sheets had lipstick stains on, the towel had stains on, there was hair all around the bathroom, dents and cracks in the walls, a blood stain (and various other stains) on the walls, the shower head was not really powerful enough to even have a shower- we had to use the kettle to wash hair - the hot taps for both the bath and sink did not even turn on, there were no curtains or blind on the windows, they were simply painted - we stayed in the hottest week of the year so far and so had to have the window open, but people could from the carpark could see straight into our bedroom. I paid £40 per night for this, not a huge amount compared to some hotels but the least I would expect for my money would be a clean room with clean linen. We were due to stay two nights but left after one. Was not that enjoyable to get ready for my graduation in that mess! We would definitely not stay here again and would not recommend that anyone else does!

Room Tip: Just don't go!
6  Thank Stephanie C