“NEVER AGAIN” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Beeches Hotel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
The Beeches Hotel
Ranked #43 of 50 Hotels in Norwich
Bedford, United Kingdom
“NEVER AGAIN”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

Smelly, dingy, and just gross. Rip off even at £40! Windows painted black and stuck shut. No fan, so therefore stuffy and hot. Shower was no more than a dribble. The only positive about this place is the location

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
      Sleep Quality
6 Thank Ericpercy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Norwich, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014 via mobile

My daughter and her friends stayed here without my consent don't see how they could book this hotel at only 14 years old with a credit card not only did they not get to stay here the manager took 40 pounds for a room kicked them out 2 hours later and charged my 14 year old daughter another 50 pounds because she took her two friends with her so she got fined for having 2 many people stay which in total was 4 of them I got the police involved and trade and standards as I can't get my head around how a 14 year old could book this this is a total rip off they seem to be doing this to a lot of youngsters and getting away with it this place is for prostitutes and druggies and party's for underage children my daughter wasent aware of any of this she just thought she could get away with a room with a couple of friends for the night and have a sneaky drink she have had her card taken away and is grounded and made aware never to do anything like this again please people make sure your kids aren't going to make this mistake be aware and get the police we need to shut this place down

• Stayed July 2014
      Location
      Cleanliness
4 Thank Tara772013
Great Yarmouth, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2014

I didn't even stay but my son did ideal for drunk people on a Saturday night after a few drinks in the city ..... Thank god everyone's drunk and can't see the state of place!! I've just been looking at pics and reading other comments about the rude staff.
My issues are with the staff ......my son and several friends received parking tickets on the Sunday morning, they emailed the MJB staff when booking the room with registration numbers and they replied these have to be text the day before so an email was sent back to MJB staff asking to what number and guess what they failed to reply!! And by reading all these other comments there no shock there.
I called the office on the Monday to ask to speak to a manager, they said he wasn't available and to call back which I did..... I was spoken rudely and abruptly by some manager and tried to see if we could see why these parking tickets had been issued. She told me it clearly states on the website the registration has to be text and told me I should teach my son to read! I made he aware I had read bad comments and the staff were useless and not helpful ...and she replied by calling me a swear word starting with C and ending in T then slammed the phone down on me!!!!! What sort of language is that!!!! I was shocked and amazed somebody could say this to a potential customer.
Seemingly this is the norm people getting parking tickets so beware and make sure you get the number but they are not likely to let you have it even in websites this is not stated.....I've called trading standards as this should not be allowed and they should not be able to treat people this way.......the kids want a cheap night out not a car parking fine it's a scam they must make a fortune but it's ashame it's not been out back into the doss house this ip so called hotel is!!

STAY AWAY and environmental health shut these down!!!

Room Tip: There is nothing good about this filth
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank Millymolly28
Norwich, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

All MJB hotels seem to have the same low standards and lack of service. I have no idea how they survive in this day and age. I guess their roots are in the dosshouses of medieval times.
I went like a lamb to the slaughter. Couldn't get in - I'd been given a wrong passcode. Couldn't find my room - I'd been given a wrong number. Sat miserably in a scruffy, gloomy environment wishing I'd spent £5 more on a slightly less terrible Travelodge. Considered suicide.
Most people who stay appear to be workmen on local building projects trying to find a bargain. I don't get the impression many return.
You will find MJB dosshouses show up on hotel comparison sites. Avoid unless you like hassle and discomfort.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
7 Thank AirGuitar
suffolk
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

This hotel is absolutely vile nobody should book this hotel. A taxi driver warned us that this is where the local prostitutes and drug addicts stay. As soon as you drive in there is debris on the floor broken glass litter. Rooms are filthy mould on walls stains on sheets cobwebs very unclean. No customer service anywhere so you cannot complain. You cannot open windows and they are painted. Shared bathrooms disgusting you would not want to enter. The smell when you walk in was vile I cannot describe. DO NOT BE TEMPTED BY THE PRICE STAY SOMEWHERE ELSE. I will be contacting environmental health Norwich tourist information and Norwich city council this hotel and others managed by MJB should be closed down. NOT EVEN A ONE RATING SHOULD BE GIVEN WORSE THAN TERRIBLE. THE HOTEL WAS THE PLANTATION PART OF THE MJB GROUP DO NOT STAY AT ANY MJB.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
10 Thank coops5Suffolk
San Francisco, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

My wife and I recently visited the lovely cathedral city of Norwich and had the great misfortune of staying three nights at the MJB Plantation Hotel on Earlham Road. Up to now, I’ve only written glowing reviews for TripAdvisor, but I must make an exception in this case. We’ve stayed in a whole range of accommodations during our many years of traveling to the UK, but MJB was by far the worst we have ever experienced. Perhaps this review can serve as a warning to other unsuspecting travelers.

First of all, MJB management are very unresponsive in their e-mail communications. I never received access codes that they were supposed to e-mail ahead of time even after my e-mailing them more than once. That made check-in a chaotic and time-consuming affair. When we arrived, we didn’t know exactly which of their several buildings we should go to. No reception office is indicated. We finally got checked in and were told which building our room was in. The only concern in the office was to collect our money. No welcome, help or advice was given. With some guesswork on our part, we found the building and our room.

The entrance to our building was dirty and littered with empty cigarette packages and liquor bottles, uninviting to say the least. The first thing we noticed when we entered the building was a powerful acrid smell of mold and mildew. A huge portion of the wall behind the staircase was visibly scarred with long swathes of mold and mildew.

When we entered our room, my first reaction was to want to turn around and flee. It was dark, smelly, musty, stuffy, small, and very depressing. The whole interior of the building, in fact, was depressing—dark, smelly, decrepit, foreboding, like those cobwebby haunted houses you see in the movies. But this wasn’t just cosmetic “atmospherics”—it was a genuine state of being run down and insufficiently maintained.

More about our room: The shower did not work at all; at least two lightbulbs were missing; the sheets on the bed were dirty with someone’s hair on them and more; the towels were damp and had obviously been used by someone then left for us, as if we wouldn’t notice. The one chair in the room had crud on it including a dead bug; the rug was unvacuumed; the overall feeling of dirtiness made your skin crawl.

The windows (one in the room, one in the bathroom) were painted or coated so that you couldn’t see out of them. You couldn’t open the bathroom window at all and the one in the room could only be opened about three inches. Thank goodness I had my Swiss army knife with me, so I was able to undo the screw that locked the window down and open it wider, otherwise the claustrophobic feeling and stuffiness would have been too much to bear. I can’t imagine what an occupant would do in case of emergency.

We didn’t dare use the tea service knowing that little attention would have been paid to it over time; the mere thought disgusted us. As I mentioned, the shower did not work. Bathing was done by wetting a towel under the hot and cold spigots and dousing yourself with it while kneeling uncomfortably in the bathtub, somehow working soap into the process. Our own soap; no soap was provided. The liquid soap dispenser above the sink was empty and clearly had been for some time. The shower curtain (not that it was needed with a shower that didn't work) was flimsy to a fault, and the shower-curtain rod was an unsupported plastic pipe contrivance that would have broken off under the slightest pressure, like a damp towel hanging over it to dry.

We returned to “reception” when we first saw the room and got them to at least change the sheets and towels. To accomplish that, a group of four people went into the room, constantly arguing among themselves the whole time it took to change the bedding and towels. It was a madhouse. I have never witnessed such unprofessional, disorganized, unsightly hotel staff.

When we politely inquired about changing rooms, we were met with negativity and nary a shred of concern for our welfare or comfort or what could be done to make things better. A “we-don’t-care” attitude was all we received.

We enjoyed our visit to Norwich City but sadly, time spent in our room was depressing and oppressive and memorable in the worst possible way. If nothing else, it taught me to be more discerning when I book accommodations on-line, even though I believe such a substandard hotel should not be permitted to solicit customers through any reputable booking website.

If you are considering booking a room at MJB, don’t. Even if the tariff seems attractive, don’t. If you already have and had a similar experience to ours, then I urge you to contact Norwich Tourist Information and Norwich City Council with your complaints, as well as whatever booking website you used. The owners of the MJB hotels must be brought to account and made to seriously deal with the glaring health and safety hazards rife in the MJB buildings, never mind the lack of standard amenities. The MJB Plantation Hotel is far below any acceptable standard and should be closed until extensive renovations are completed and management and staff are retrained or replaced.

Room Tip: Book a room elsewhere, NOT here.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
9 Thank Footpathsforall
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

On first impressions it's what you'd expect for a cheap place.room was clean but like an oven.the blinds had no draw string so they stayed down and the window was only open 4 inches as there were two screws blocking the runner.i did what the signage said and registered my vehicle, happy days...no, at 03.05am, the company's traffic wardens came round and slapped a £100 parking ticket on my van.apperently I had not registered my van properly.be very careful about staying in this place and if at all possible stay clear of it.its a money making scam.

• Stayed August 2014