“Excellent value”
Review of The Beeches Hotel

The Beeches Hotel
Ranked #44 of 50 Hotels in Norwich
Reviewed 1 June 2009

Our room was in an old Georgian house with solid walls so our stay was very quiet and peaceful. The room was large and contained everything necessary for our stay. I liked having a proper bath (it had a power shower over it) and not just a shower unit so common nowadays. We paid a very cheap rate which included dinner in a nearby cafe. The meal was excellent - I couldnt manage all of the delicious desert. The breakfast room was very nice and the breakfast quite generous. Although the primary purpose of our visit was business we stayed on in Norwich to be able to go to the coast the next day. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled on business

Reviewed 16 February 2009

We had stayed previously in the garden house overlooking the Victorian gardens which was very pleasant back in 2006. However I believe the hotel has changed hands since then and our 2008 visit was very different! We got a good late deal but this seemed to be an excuse for them when things went wrong. Our tiny room was out of the way of the main hotel, pleasant enough until next door arrived. We could hear their ordinary conversations/TV right through the wall! Which kept us up past 2am. The management were good about this and moved us to an extension block around the back of the main hotel for our 2nd night. This was ok until our TV stopped working. The lady on duty was very curt suggesting she would get told off in the morning if she got us a different one - as if it was our fault. However a younger member of staff couldn't do enough to help. I explained all of this as we checked out the next day and requested a discount to compensate for the inconvenience of moving/TV/attitude of staff. This was not entertained for a second and our late deal rate was used as an excuse. The receptionist even suggested I had not understood the other member of staff's manner because of her ethnic origin, which I thought was rather insulting! I have tried to email the manger a couple of times, but with no luck - hence this review.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank treacle2
Reviewed 10 February 2009

I have just come back from The Beeches hotel , and I really had a nice time. It was hard to believe that the hotel I stayed at , and the one in previous reviews is the same.
Firstly , I did get a very competitive rate , and although you expect good winter deals , this was also a stay steeped in value and quality.
From a very polite and welcoming receptionist , to a modern reception area , a bar that although wasnt large , did exactly what it should do, and was nice for an evening night cap, all was really enjoyable.
The room had a nice double aspect , was spacious and comfy. Perhaps the furniture was a bit dated , but the standard of housekeeping was high.
Certainly , I have often paid a lot more for a lot less on other breaks.
The real gem of this hotel is the gardens. Wow!!...I really enjoyed the gardens. Not huge , but certainly add to the value of the stay. All the staff were lovely , and I would certainly consider returning in the future.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 January 2009

We stayed in the summer of 2007 and as soon as we arrived we reported effluent coming up through the shower.
At least 6 phonecalls later and 8 hours later(12-00pm!!) they said they could do nothing and if we didn't like it we could go elsewhere!1
We checked out!!!

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with family
1  Thank meanwell
Reviewed 17 December 2008

This is NOT a hotel! it is a very poor quality B+B at best. It is the worst place we have had the misfortune to stay at. We suspected it wouldn't be great but thought we'd give it a go at £40 a night excl breakfast - however, rather than go into details I will sumarise by saying EVERYTHING was so bad we considered going home rather than stay there. What a shame, because a hotel in this location deserves to be better.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 14 November 2008

Date: 29th October 2008
Booked for one night whilst visiting relations in Norwich. Booked through an internet booking company. As I know where the hotel is located I specifically asked for a room in the main hotel, they have other properties next door which are also use, and one away from the road which can get very busy as it is a main route into the city centre.
Very easy booking in. Room was clean and tidy on the surface but don't bang the wardrobe door or you will be showered with many years of dust - as I found out. Bathroom was clean. Bed was comfortable
Went out for a meal in Norwich - The Belgian Monk, which is very good particularly if you like lots of different beers including cherry and rasberry. Returned to the hotel for a drink in their little bar/lounge area - OK but I do like lemon with my G & T and they had non. I think the old chap serving also counted out the number of ice cubes aswell. Still it was entertaining.
Did not take breakfast which was £7.50 for either English or continental which I really begrudge paying.
One downside was the extremely strong smell of bleach in the room when we first entered it - needed to open up the window wide to clear it. Nothing after that though and I guess I now know they do use the stuff.
All in all quite good

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 November 2008

I booked the hotel for my husband's birthday weekend - a couple of days in Norwich. The location of The Beeches Hotel is excellent. The condition of the property is not.

Set in a Victorian group of buildings it looks very inviting, the reception is small and black and white and very minimilistic as is the bar area. One of the staff was very pleasent, one was very exact.

When I had booked I had requested a room with a firm mattress as my husband has problems with his back. This had not been noted, so he went off to check the room.

This room was in a building separate to the reception area. When he came back - he said the room was grim and the mattress very soft and asked if there were other rooms as options. The fifth room he tried had a firm mattress and told me it was the best room he had been into.

The bedding was clean and white and the bed comfortable, the bathroom and room itself was shabby and grubby.

We did not eat breakfast in the hotel, there are plenty of places in Norwich. The breakfast area did not look inviting as it had white plastic chairs at the tables and, in my opion, looked very dingy.

From choice I would not use this hotel again unless it has been fully refurbised. Value for money I thinkg not - Friday night £49.00 Saturday £69.00, but we didn't have to drive and got free parking.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)