“What's gone wrong?”

Ranked #20 of 50 Hotels in Norwich
Colchester, United Kingdom
“What's gone wrong?”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2012

We booked the bewilderwood package for the second year running.
This package is without doubt great value for money. (family room , DDBB, entrance to the park and a book on the bed awaiting your child on return)

My review would have been very good, accept that during the night our room started to smell of smoke. (cigeratte smoke) My little girl woke up, as we were discussing it, unfortunately this led her to be very scared as she took it to be fire smoke.

I'm not sure if it was from the hotel's offices (we were in 303 next to this area) or from the pop up bed. It was very weird as we certainly didn't smell it on arrival earlier in the evening.

However we attempted to sleep through it, after a day at bewilderwood it helps!

Around 06.30hrs I went to report it. I also asked if we could cancel that days booking. ( we were staying another night) I was met by a polite lady, but wasn't able to make a decision until her manager came in.

I returned to the desk just after 7am to be told that I can cancel as I had paid in advance!

I had to explain that I understood that I could leave at any time, yet I wasn't prepared to pay for this second night, as I would use the refund to book a smoke smell free room elsewhere.

oh , I was asked to come back......

after breakfast I was told that I could indeed cancel. And I got my refund. However at no time did anyone want to investigate my complaint? Look to move me to a new room? Or help me find an alternative hotel.

I have to say that for a small hotel I would have expected for the manager to seek me out to investigate, apolgise even?

I'm a regular user of holiday inns with work, and feel really let down here.

This is the first time that I have ever bothered to write a review, and I stay in hotels 4 nights a week across the uk for many years now. As I have, I will also finish on a note that although the pool is great, and the local gym members were very welcoming to my family,the little things like soap in the showers were empty. breakfast was also Luke warm.

I have to say if it wasn't for room service and pools I'd book Premier Inns every time after this experience.

Room Tip: Marriott was excellent!
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
PANorwich, General Manager at Holiday Inn Norwich North Hotel, responded to this review, 9 November 2012
Great to hear the positives around your stay and that you received the resolution you required in the end. I must say that I am a little concerned about your comments and would like to speak to you in person regarding these. Devin Grosse (General Manager)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
King's Lynn, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2012

I stayed here overnight for a works function. I have been to this hotel many times before for functions.Check in was easy and the room was just along the corridor from reception, on the ground floor. The room is clean and was quiet, dispite its postion. I found the staff to be friendly and helpful. The breakfast is also good and plenty of it, with a good selection.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
Excellent to hear your review and we shall share your comments with the Team. Thank you and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2012 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel on the Saturday just gone and just had to leave a review as everything about our stay was top class.

When we arrived, we were greeted by a very friendly male receptionist who made check in very quick and easy. He also told us everything we needed to know.

Our executive room was just along from the reception area. The room was huge compared to what I was expecting and other hotel rooms I have stayed in previously. It had a king size bed, flat screen tv with various channels on, sofa and table, desk and chair and dressing table. It was all very clean too and as it was an executive room, you also got slippers, dressing gowns, water, orange juice and a kit kat which was a nice touch! The bathroom was enormous and really nice-had a jacuzzi bath, walk in double shower and heated towel rail. We were so impressed with the room and would definitely pay the extra for an executive again-was definitely worth it!

We used the leisure facilities and although the pool is quite small, there is a lovely jacuzzi and a small steam room and sauna. The only thing that lets the health club down is the very small and dated changing rooms which is a shame. There is also a gym but we didn't get round to using this.

We ate in the restaurant for dinner and the service again was really good-nothing was too much trouble for the staff and everybody was friendly. We had the carvery and it was delicious-the meat was really nice with a good selection of vegetables. There were plenty other items on the menu to choose from too. The only very small negative was that we ordered a dessert and it took over 15 minutes to arrive, even though the restaurant was by then almost empty. However, when we mentioned this, this was quickly removed from our bill without any fuss.

There is a nice conservatory area when you can relax and have a drink and there is also a bar where they had x factor showing which was an added bonus for me!

Breakfast the next morning was lovely-great selection with too much to choose from. Rolls, meat, fruit, Danish pastries, croissants, toast, cereal, juices, porridge as well as a lovely fried selection-all help yourself buffet style. Again, all the staff were very friendly and polite.

On checkout, we had another lovely, this time female receptionist who was friendly and chatty making sure everything about our stay was ok.

The staff at this hotel are great and definitely have great customer service skills. We have stayed in much more expensive hotels that have not even come close to this so we were really pleasantly surprised.

In summary, we had a wonderful evening staying at this hotel and will definitely return!

• Stayed October 2012
PANorwich, General Manager at Holiday Inn Norwich North Hotel, responded to this review, 22 October 2012
What a lovely review to brighten us up on such a dull and overcast day. We always love to hear such excellent feedback and it is a great boast for the team when it is shared with them. Thank you again for taking the time to write such excellent feedback.
Norwich, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2012

I am staying in this hotel -Holiday Inn North (near by Norwich Airport)- nearly for a month and I am verry dissappointed by their very rude and uncaring reception. No body gives you a warm smile or wellcome. If you had any problems with the hotel or rooms, instead of caring, they just ignore you.

the best thing about Holiday Inn Norwich North is to check out!..

Room Tip: Some Roof rooms are very small and they have gor chimney slope. Stay away from them.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
PANorwich, General Manager at Holiday Inn Norwich North Hotel, responded to this review, 26 October 2012
We are very sorry to read about your experience with the members of staff on Reception. We can assure you that we take all complaints of this nature seriously and we have already begun a disciplinary action investigation with the members of staff involved.
We would like to apologise that our normal level of customer service was not achieved during your stay. The problems concerning your room key have now been resolved and hopefully there should not be any further problems. Once again we would like to apologise for the unfortunate issues you encountered during your visit.
We are delighted to see that you are staying with us again and are now very happy with the service you are receiving.

Travellers are raving about these Norwich hotels

Norwich
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2012

my wife and I eat about once a month on a saturday and have to say the carvery is first class.
A choice of three meats plus a selection of other dishes like curry or lasagne, a full range salad bar and half a dozen mouth watering desserts ( if you have room) make this one of the best value carveries in town. the staff are all very good and attentive.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
PANorwich, General Manager at Holiday Inn Norwich North Hotel, responded to this review, 12 October 2012
I am so pleased that you enjoyed your time with us and especially the Carvery. We are fortunate that we have large banqueting facilities as well, so we have to have very highly skilled Chefs to service all our needs, so a humble Carvery gets the star treatment. Thank you for your kind comments.
Sheringham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2012

I can highly recommend the excellent carvery with its wide variety of dishes. Note the carvery is only available on certain days of the week. The restaurant is tastefully decorated and spacious. The staff are courteous, friendly and attentive to ones needs.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Roy C
PANorwich, General Manager at Holiday Inn Norwich North Hotel, responded to this review, 9 October 2012
Thank you for your kind comments and yes the Carvery is open on Wednesday, Friday and Saturday lunchtimes and it is also available every evening. Great to hear the positive comments about the Team and I will ensure these are passed on to them. Kind Regards.
Cleethorpes, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2012

Great time had by all we managed to obtain 2 package deals in our stay. 1st night with evening meal B and B also fam ticket to Bewilderwood.Fantastic place to stay with kids also received book each and animals on their beds made from the towels great touch kids impressed.Food amazing and wine was most enjoyable. Bed and Room Massive all 4 of us could fit in one bed.Followin 3 nights under Norcon Sci fi package bargain deal Great atmosphere on the day and kids dressed up.Staff throughout were very attentive and extremely helpful and positive.Leisure facilities were as expected pool good size only negative thing to say is changing rooms need update but not hotels fault all there facilities excellant.Definately stay again.

Room Tip: Floor 3 have huge rooms and very quiet no airport noise
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
PANorwich, General Manager at Holiday Inn Norwich North Hotel, responded to this review, 2 October 2012
Excellent to hear such feedback from your stay with us. There are some great deals on offer for stays at our hotel if you book direct so I hope we will be able to welcome you back in the near future.