“Not up to standard”

Ranked #19 of 50 Hotels in Norwich
Mansfield, United Kingdom
“Not up to standard”
Reviewed 11 December 2013 via mobile

Been staying here for business for a number of years. Over the last 5 years I have seen the hotel slowly declining. My latest stay Dec 2013, will be my last. Shower sealant covered in black mould. Toilet flush handle broken. Drawers in room falling to bits and bodged repairs. Temperature control non existent. Room way too hot! When I spoke to reception ll I got was a "we will get maintenance to look at it" !Breakfast Luke warm and dried up. Not quite what one would expect for £160 per night. Good points, staff are friendly and helpful.

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Norwich North Hotel, responded to this review, 26 December 2013
Dear Mike C,

Ben J
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 October 2013

This hotel is over priced and dirty stayed the 26th, dirty glasses left in the room... Two single beds pushed together... Avoid if can do... Would never go back!! The only plus to this hotel would be the customer service we got when coming into the hotel!

• Stayed October 2013
Bill H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Norwich North Hotel, responded to this review, 30 October 2013
Thank you for writing a review about our hotel. I'm really sorry you didn't like your room and had you spoken to us after you checked in we would have happily moved you.

Your bed is what we call a zip and link, it forms a King size bed when its zipped together which is huge, or it becomes two single beds when a twin room is required.

Many hotels use these kind of beds to allow for flexibility within the room as I previously mentioned had you told us you disliked the bed we could and would have moved you.

I'm sorry you found a dirty glass in your room, whilst the hotel is quite dated we really pride ourselves on the cleanliness of all areas so I was surprised to read that you felt the hotel was dirty so I'll agree to disagree with you on this occasion.

Once again thank you for your review we really appreciate all feedback good or bad.

Travellers are raving about these Norwich hotels

Reviewed 27 October 2013 via mobile

We had our wedding breakfast and reception here 17 August 2013 in the wallbrough suite. Can't say how brilliant it was. We had a great time. Food was excellent and organisation fantastic. Great value. Everything went so well an we really relaxed and enjoyed our special day. The room was transformed into a beautiful space and the staff were more then happy to help with extra things. Special thanks to Sophia our organiser and Ginny who was helping us on the day. Nothing was too much we so appreciate it. Our suite the wright brothers suite was lovely as was breakfast. I'd recommend it for a fantastic wedding venue, thanks to all staff.

• Stayed August 2013
Thank you so much for your review about your wedding day at our hotel. I'm delighted you had such a great day and that everything went so well. We always go out of our way to ensure that all of our guests have a stay to remember and It sounds like we exceeded your expectations.

All of the team really appreciate reviews good or bad when they come in as it allows us to see what we are getting right and what we can improve on, your review tells us all we gave you a memory you'll never forget. Thank you again and we look forward to seeing you both again soon.
Carmarthen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 October 2013

Stayed for 4 nights on an organised trip from s.wales,but as a solo person. Reception very helpful. Room [202 ground floor] large with a comfy double bed, tv,.and a good size bathroom also tea/coffee and clean, as through out my stay.. Good heated towel rail which could be used to dry wet clothes if neccessary, and an adjustable thermostat in the bedroom. A very big plus. Breakfast was self service with cerial, fruit, yougart, toast and a fantastic range of cooked items. As we were on a half board basis the evening meal was, a first choice course of soup or starter of the day, then a carvery type meal with a choice of 2 meats and 1 fish plus an array of vegetables. Sweet was a SWEET an indulgent array of fresh fruit and all manor of tarts and temptations.. Tried most on separate days and none were poor. WELL DONE. Did I enjoy my stay YES YES and bar prices not bad either.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Bill H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Norwich North Hotel, responded to this review, 27 October 2013
Thank you very much for your review about our hotel. Its great to see you enjoyed the food we always try to please everybody and it seems we've done a great job on this occasion.

The rooms are a great size and as I've written in previous reviews we are hoping for a full refurbishment in due course and once that's done we'll be an even better hotel than we are now.

I hope you get the opportunity to return to us again in the future in the meantime thank you again for taking the time to tell us how your stay went I and the rest of the team really appreciate it.
UK
Reviewed 25 October 2013

Having had my origional reviews, from an invitation from IHG, returned to me and having also seen TA do the same, I have rewritten this for a Semantic Search program to get a different idea but I hope the real reader will not.
My restaurant review has already been put on line.
My non-smoking room smelt sweety of a premium brand of cigarettes both in the carpet and the curtains. Perhaps the was because the door sign had been newly to facilitate its use for smoking.
The Bathroom had well cleaned taps and chrome as the passage of time had made the covering invisiable now.
The tiling in the bathroom had extra value from the growth of hyphae.
So too was the toilet now decorated with old use.
There was plenty of evidence too in the bathroom that maintenance had been at work over the years.
The above has pictures downloded to demonstrate my text.
I did not take breakfast (although paid for) as there I was told that it cost £13.50 and arrival time could be complex.
I should have liked to mention a closeby alternative (Cryptic clue: First Pub).
As you can see I was very impressed.

Room Tip: Great for Smokers who like a leisurely meal and are happy with the bathroom decorations.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for your review about our hotel. The hotel is all non smoking and has been for over 12 months. On occasions unfortunately some selfish people will smoke in the bedrooms this is very rare and we operate a "Fine" system if this happens. I'm really sorry if this has happened to you but I'm unsure as to why if your room smelt of smoke you'd not ask to be moved after all we do have 121 bedrooms?

You've not taken breakfast even though it's paid for but have chosen to go next door which is fine I just don't understand in your cryptic review how you can comment on something you've heard is complex!? I've not heard of breakfast being described as complex before but I suppose there is a first for everything!

Breakfast at our hotel runs from 5am until 11am everyday to allow people flying offshore and departing on early flights to have a good hearty full breakfast we get very few complaints if any about breakfast so i'm unsure what point you are trying to make?

Our rooms and bathrooms are dated you can read that on most of the reviews however they are clean and as I have written previously we are waiting for a full refurbishment which we expect to happen soon.

We are in a great location for the airport and I'm glad we fitted that part of your stay. Perhaps next time you stay with us please talk to us about any concerns you may have. My desk is in the lobby area and everybody has access to me, had you spoken to me or any of my colleagues I'm certain we could have resolved to issues you have mentioned above.

Thank you again for your review we do appreciate all of our guest feedback and if you'd like to discuss it further please call me direct at the hotel.
Ashby-de-la-Zouch, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 October 2013

Stayed at the end of September as we were attending an event in Norwich. We had a problem with our booking upon arrival which was promptly sorted out by the lovely man on reception! He gave us free breakfast to rectify the issue which we were happy with (especially after a night out!!)

The public areas are well presented, and the free chocolate and water in executive rooms are a lovely touch!!

Will definitely come back to the hotel if we have the need to come to Norwich again!!
The only thing i'd say is to be careful you go to the right hotel, as the HIExpress is quite close to the Holiday Inn!!

Thank you! :)

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and tell us about your experience at our hotel. It's great to hear your problem on arrival was dealt with quickly and that we also included our great breakfast as a bonus!

All of our executive rooms have water and chocolate and if you're not a member of the IHG Rewards Club you should join right away as there are great deals to be had if you use IHG hotels on a regular basis.

Thank you once again for your review and I hope we can welcome you back in the not to distant future.
Nottingham
Reviewed 7 October 2013

I stayed overnight due to an early check in at the airport . The room was a bit tired, but was clean and the bathroom was in sparkling condition. The check in staff were excellent, I did not eat at the hotel as there was a macdonald's around the corner, so I can't comment on the food. It was a 5 mins walk to the airport so the location is ideal for an early start in the morning

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Thank you very much for your review it's always great to read people have enjoyed their stay with us. The hotel as you pointed out is in a great location for the airport so ideal for early starts no worrying about taxis or traffic jams!

Pity you didn't try our food it's very good and we get lot's of compliments about it. Breakfast at our hotel starts at 5.00am to ensure people on early flights get a good hearty meal before they set off so please remember that for the next time you fly out of Norwich International.

All of our rooms will be refurbished in the near future and I hope you'll like the finished product once it's all complete.

Thank you again for your review it's very much appreciated by all of the team.