“Parking nightmare”

United Kingdom
“Parking nightmare”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

Where do I start?
We attended the restaurant for dinner one evening in February as we are members of the restaurant club and all was well. Two weeks later we receive a parking fine on behalf of the hotel.!!!!

There is a machine in reception where you have to enter your vehicle registration when you visit however the restaurant staff had previously advised us our details would be entered and valid for six months.

We went to the hotel to try and sort this out and were told it was nothing to do with them and we had to contact the car parking company direct. We emailed the parking company to appeal the fine but they responded saying that although we may have been authorised to park there the car was not on the system so the fine stands.

After a further 2 trips to the hotel we were ensured the issue would be resolved by the manager however to date, some 3 weeks after the fine was issued, we have never had either a call back or email to advise what was going on. The customer service has quite frankly been appalling and the staff need to realise how this reflects on the Hotels image. Having been frequent visitors over the last 10 years we are questioning whether we wish to return.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tracy P
Bill H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Norwich North Hotel, responded to this review, 8 April 2014
Thank you for your feedback regarding the car park at our hotel. We do have a parking system in place that has been at the hotel now since May 2013.

If your registration details in the system have run out we can input them again without any problem. If it was inputted for 6 months a small note on a calendar may help for next time to avoid any repeat of getting issued with a ticket again just let us know your cover is coming to an end.

If you spoke to myself then the issue will have been resolved and as I've been on holiday for the last two weeks you'd probably not have heard from me as I was out of the country.

The system is in place to ensure genuine guests of the hotel can get a parking space. As it's a airport hotel the car park as you can imagine without some kind of control over it would be badly abused, which it was hence the system being installed in the first place.

I hope this answers your concerns however please feel free to contact me if you'd like to discuss any of the above further.

Bill Heath

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Reading, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2014

Don't know where to start because this hotel is so poor, have stopped here for the last three years on business trips ( about 60 nights) but have stopped there for the last time, here is a short list of why not to stay.
. hotel is old & now looks dirty
. Gym/ changing rooms are a disgrace.( whirlpool been broke for at least 6 months)
. Restaurant ( ate in here three nights got order wrong every time , ordered a holiday inn chicken salad & it came without the chicken !). service so slow even though the restaurant was less than half full. One night when there was only four customers staff decided to talk about their social lives & what they were doing later over the customers from one side of the floor to the other.
.Ice machine on second floor has had an out of order sign for the last year.
.Bill is always wrong
I NOW EXPECT THE MANAGER WILL USE HIS NORMAL EXCUSE THE HOTEL IS DUE TO HAVE A MAJOR REFIT , LIKE HE DID 3 YEARS AGO !

Room Tip: Sleep in your car
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Mark B
Thank you for your review and I'm sorry you feel the hotel should be knocked down. It is old I don't disagree and "Yes" a refurbishment is due in fact it's now starting although as I've only been here for 14 months it wasn't me who told you this three years ago.

I'm sorry to hear the service was poor this is not the feedback we normally get about the team and I'll be discussing your comments with food and beverage manager.

Please contact me directly to discuss future stays as the hotel is going through changes and I'd really like to be able to invite you back so you can see for yourself the changes that are taking place. Change takes time so I really hope you'll take up my offer.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Bill Heath

Travellers are raving about these Norwich hotels

Norwich, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2014

Over the last 4 weeks I have used the hotel for meeting colleagues and clients in the foyer area. We have bought food in the restaurant and teas coffee and drinks over the different meetings. Having used the hotel while I was in business over the last 20 years, for other charity fund raisers I had organised and business dinners and Balls I had sponsored (the Lancaster Suite) and attended I had never been charged for parking while using the restaurant and front lobby areas.

This morning, a parking charge landed on the mat of the firm for £100. I had a receipt to show for my coffees, teas and biscuits, but when discussed with reception today they pointed to the machine adjacent to reception (which I hadn`t been near) and said it was out of their hands. I said that I had not been issued with a ticket to get stamped or processed, nor had any of the restaurant staff mentioned that I should be aware of this electronic machine. I have contacted my lawyers and have written to the Chairman of the group. So much for their stated aims on their web site. Money is obviously very tight and this is not the hotel it once was. Our next charity dinner will be at another Holiday Inn in the area, which apparently does not have parking managed by a firm of bailiffs`. There are better hotels, no doubt, but I now need to drive to Sprowston or Dunstan. Avoid this one, the trading standards report will undoubtedly change little!

Room Tip: Avoid completely
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank Andrew M
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Norwich North Hotel, responded to this review, 5 April 2014
Dear Andrew M,

Regards,

Karen C
Merseyside, England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2014 via mobile

Hotel dated but clean with good facilities. Breakfast good but over priced for children over 13. Staff friendly. 10 minute ride to Norwich city centre. In the 21st century all hotels should offer WiFi in rooms. The hotel only had the facility in the lobby and then at a cost

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank whimbrelboy
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Norwich North Hotel, responded to this review, 16 March 2014
Dear whimbrelboy,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. We were glad to see your kind comments for the staff, cleanliness, and breakfast quality. We take all of the reviews we receive very seriously as they allow us to identify areas that may benefit from additional attention. We have shared your comments with the staff and we’re confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Adrian D
London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2014

I'll start with the positives - the staff are exceptionally helpful and friendly despite the environment they have to work in.

This hotel really suffers as a result of what appears to be zero investment over the years, decoration in public areas is very tired with black marks on walls and paint chipped from door ways and other decorative features. Fixture and fittings are old and appear dirty as a result of their age - although they may function perfectly adequately. Lighting in public areas does not always work neither does the ice machine, WiFi is slow and intermittent (tested in room, bar and restaurant). Gym is just a mess - broken lockers, cracked tiles and rusty equipment.

Food from the restaurant is passable if not overpriced for the quality.

I stay regularly at IHG hotels across the globe and can say this is the worst Holiday Inn I've stayed in, I would not return and would not recommend to others whilst the hotel is in its present state.

If this is a 4 star hotel I dread to think what the reviewer would class as 3 star.

Room Tip: In another hotel!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank geordieladinlondon
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Norwich North Hotel, responded to this review, 23 January 2014
Dear geordieladinlondon,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your recent stay with us. Our staff always goes out of their way to be helpful and attentive to the guests and we are glad that you enjoyed their hospitality. It was unfortunate to see your stay was not as comfortable as it could have been due to the the condition of our facilities. Rest assured that we take all comments and suggestions to heart so that we can improve and provide the exceptional service that our guests expect and deserve.

Once again, thank you for your thoughtful comments. We look forward to the opportunity of serving you again in the future.

Karen C
United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2014 via mobile

Recently stayed here over the new year and attended the glitter ball the hotel held. From the check in to the ball the staff were very helpful and friendly.

The event was a great success which we much enjoyed and was good value for money with a lovely 4 course meal and the band got every one up on the dance floor.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your comments regarding New Years Eve. We had some great feedback and yes the band was fantastic, we're currently taking bookings for this year so don't miss out and book now to avaoid it being a sell out.
England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2013

I booked 2 rooms for the family prior to reading the reviews, the hotel had an excellent past history. Upon reading the reviews I was concerned about what I would find. We checked in early hours of 26th Dec the rooms were clean and the bathroom for room 205 looked like it had been refurbished. Staff did not tell me that there was only 1 lift to the third floor and at 02:00 I spent 5 minutes trying to work out how to get to my room with a lorry load of luggage. There was a sign but not that clear -

Breakfast on 26th was served until 10.00 am, while we were cutting this a little fine there a a reasonable choice and the quality was fine, my parents joined us just past 10:00 and they still had a reasonable choice of a fry up. The only down side was a member of staff taking away a balloon from my 18 month son after his co worker had given it to him 5 mins earlier and the mad rush to clear our tables.

Boxing Day lunch was good, food fresh at 13:30 only complaint would be no roasted parsnips and no mince pies with the coffee. Minor issues but they make Christmas special.

Over the next couple of days I found the two chef very helpful and the food was of good quality, other staff were not so pleasant and felt like they were wishing they were elsewhere. I spoke to the manager who has a desk in the entrance hall, very keen to take on-board feedback and not push it away with the usual corporate crap...The plans for the refurbishment sound good and I am sure we will all see new new hotel born. Just hope that some of the staff also find a happy face as well.

In general its fine but a little tired in places, wait a couple of months and I am sure you will be happy.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Norwich North Hotel, responded to this review, 16 January 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

We appreciate that you took the time to review our hotel. I am sorry we were not able to exceed or at least be at par with your expectations on some aspects of your stay. However, the renovations will end soon, and I hope you stay with us again and see the improvements we have made. We appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. We hope to get a chance of hosting you again and show you how great our hotel is.

Karen G.