“Not much Bang for your Buck”

Holiday Inn Norwich North Hotel
Ranked #19 of 50 Hotels in Norwich
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Not much Bang for your Buck”
Reviewed 16 April 2014

I had a one night stay here as I was waiting for a next day flight from the conveniently close airport 5 minutes walk away. There is a very handy bus stop accros the road (Park and Ride) that runs into the city centre around every 15 minutes. So with time on my hands it was no problem going to see the sights for a few hours - very worth while as Norwich is very historic.

The hotel itself was a bit of a letdown, being rather pricey and in need of a bit om attention (threadbare carpets , very dated bathroom etc) For the price paid (around 140 GBP) I feel they should offer something a bit better. The restaurant staff was very friendly and helpfull, but next time I'll find a nice pub in the area and eat there as the food was like the hotel - in need of upgrade.....I have to add that the staff was very friendly and really treated me like a guest.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Bill H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Norwich North Hotel, responded to this review, 30 April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our hotel. The property is old and it is time it had a refurbishment and I'm really pleased to inform you that the said refurbishment has now started.

We are having all of the bedrooms, bathrooms, public areas, meeting rooms and health and fitness club completely re-done so its a really exciting time for me and the team.

Sorry to hear you didn't particularly like the food, thats really unusual as one of the things people say is that the food and the team are great the hotel needs work!

Hopefully the next time you come and stay with us you'll give our restaurant another chance as we also have a new Head Chef who is fantastic.

Thanks for mentioning the Park and Ride it is really convenient and as you stated a very easy way to get into the city for very little money.

Thank you again for your review and hopefully the next time you stay you'll see a whole new product.

Bill Heath

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 April 2014

Stayed here for just one night in April 2014 to attend a function. Here is my report.
Not as easy to find as you might imagine but follow signs to the airport and just as you think you are driving onto the airfield itself there is some signage.
There seems to be plenty of parking available at a weekend.
On entering the foyer you will see a car park machine in which I had to input my car reg and room number this allows for free parking and for staff to find you if required.
Check in was quite smooth and a credit card taken to allow for meals and drinks, papers etc to be booked to the room.
The room itself was on the front (airport side) of the building but we did not notice any aircraft noise at all. The only real let down of this area was the small of cigarette smoke but it was not enough for us to change room. One towel had a stain on it (not dirty just stained) and the hotel services manager replaced this even before we returned from reception, excellent service.
The swimming pool and fitness centre are found at the back of reception down a long corridor and both facilities are very good. Towels are provided if you wish to swim and you will need a GBP 1.00 coin for the locker use. There is a steam room and also a sauna room accessed from the poolside. There are a number of meeting rooms and these all seem ideal for business uses.
The restaurant was closed after lunch when we arrived but staff made a sandwich for us "no bother sir"
The evening function meal was excellent and 100 guests were served, all hot foot arrived piping hot and was to a very good standard. The bar stays open until 0400 and breakfast starts at 0500 (probably due to Flight Crew staying at the hotel).
Morning papers arrived as requested and in good time to be read before breakfast.
The buffet breakfast was also excellent with cereals, full English or continental help yourself. Loads of choices and enough to set up even the most hungry traveller.
Overall this is one of the best budget hotels I have stayed in Europe OR UK.

Room Tip: Even numbers seem to be on airport side.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our hotel and we're delighted you enjoyed your stay with us so much.

You'll be pleased to hear that the hotel has just started a full refurbishment so the next time you come and stay it will be even better.

Thank you again for taking the time to write a review your comments are very much appreciated.

United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

Where do I start?
We attended the restaurant for dinner one evening in February as we are members of the restaurant club and all was well. Two weeks later we receive a parking fine on behalf of the hotel.!!!!

There is a machine in reception where you have to enter your vehicle registration when you visit however the restaurant staff had previously advised us our details would be entered and valid for six months.

We went to the hotel to try and sort this out and were told it was nothing to do with them and we had to contact the car parking company direct. We emailed the parking company to appeal the fine but they responded saying that although we may have been authorised to park there the car was not on the system so the fine stands.

After a further 2 trips to the hotel we were ensured the issue would be resolved by the manager however to date, some 3 weeks after the fine was issued, we have never had either a call back or email to advise what was going on. The customer service has quite frankly been appalling and the staff need to realise how this reflects on the Hotels image. Having been frequent visitors over the last 10 years we are questioning whether we wish to return.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tracy P
Bill H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Norwich North Hotel, responded to this review, 8 April 2014
Thank you for your feedback regarding the car park at our hotel. We do have a parking system in place that has been at the hotel now since May 2013.

If your registration details in the system have run out we can input them again without any problem. If it was inputted for 6 months a small note on a calendar may help for next time to avoid any repeat of getting issued with a ticket again just let us know your cover is coming to an end.

If you spoke to myself then the issue will have been resolved and as I've been on holiday for the last two weeks you'd probably not have heard from me as I was out of the country.

The system is in place to ensure genuine guests of the hotel can get a parking space. As it's a airport hotel the car park as you can imagine without some kind of control over it would be badly abused, which it was hence the system being installed in the first place.

I hope this answers your concerns however please feel free to contact me if you'd like to discuss any of the above further.

Bill Heath

Travellers are raving about these Norwich hotels

Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 March 2014

Don't know where to start because this hotel is so poor, have stopped here for the last three years on business trips ( about 60 nights) but have stopped there for the last time, here is a short list of why not to stay.
. hotel is old & now looks dirty
. Gym/ changing rooms are a disgrace.( whirlpool been broke for at least 6 months)
. Restaurant ( ate in here three nights got order wrong every time , ordered a holiday inn chicken salad & it came without the chicken !). service so slow even though the restaurant was less than half full. One night when there was only four customers staff decided to talk about their social lives & what they were doing later over the customers from one side of the floor to the other.
.Ice machine on second floor has had an out of order sign for the last year.
.Bill is always wrong
I NOW EXPECT THE MANAGER WILL USE HIS NORMAL EXCUSE THE HOTEL IS DUE TO HAVE A MAJOR REFIT , LIKE HE DID 3 YEARS AGO !

Room Tip: Sleep in your car
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Mark B
Thank you for your review and I'm sorry you feel the hotel should be knocked down. It is old I don't disagree and "Yes" a refurbishment is due in fact it's now starting although as I've only been here for 14 months it wasn't me who told you this three years ago.

I'm sorry to hear the service was poor this is not the feedback we normally get about the team and I'll be discussing your comments with food and beverage manager.

Please contact me directly to discuss future stays as the hotel is going through changes and I'd really like to be able to invite you back so you can see for yourself the changes that are taking place. Change takes time so I really hope you'll take up my offer.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 March 2014

Over the last 4 weeks I have used the hotel for meeting colleagues and clients in the foyer area. We have bought food in the restaurant and teas coffee and drinks over the different meetings. Having used the hotel while I was in business over the last 20 years, for other charity fund raisers I had organised and business dinners and Balls I had sponsored (the Lancaster Suite) and attended I had never been charged for parking while using the restaurant and front lobby areas.

This morning, a parking charge landed on the mat of the firm for £100. I had a receipt to show for my coffees, teas and biscuits, but when discussed with reception today they pointed to the machine adjacent to reception (which I hadn`t been near) and said it was out of their hands. I said that I had not been issued with a ticket to get stamped or processed, nor had any of the restaurant staff mentioned that I should be aware of this electronic machine. I have contacted my lawyers and have written to the Chairman of the group. So much for their stated aims on their web site. Money is obviously very tight and this is not the hotel it once was. Our next charity dinner will be at another Holiday Inn in the area, which apparently does not have parking managed by a firm of bailiffs`. There are better hotels, no doubt, but I now need to drive to Sprowston or Dunstan. Avoid this one, the trading standards report will undoubtedly change little!

Room Tip: Avoid completely
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank Andrew M
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Norwich North Hotel, responded to this review, 5 April 2014
Dear Andrew M,

Regards,

Karen C
Merseyside, England
Reviewed 1 March 2014 via mobile

Hotel dated but clean with good facilities. Breakfast good but over priced for children over 13. Staff friendly. 10 minute ride to Norwich city centre. In the 21st century all hotels should offer WiFi in rooms. The hotel only had the facility in the lobby and then at a cost

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank whimbrelboy
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Norwich North Hotel, responded to this review, 16 March 2014
Dear whimbrelboy,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. We were glad to see your kind comments for the staff, cleanliness, and breakfast quality. We take all of the reviews we receive very seriously as they allow us to identify areas that may benefit from additional attention. We have shared your comments with the staff and we’re confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Adrian D
London
Reviewed 6 January 2014

I'll start with the positives - the staff are exceptionally helpful and friendly despite the environment they have to work in.

This hotel really suffers as a result of what appears to be zero investment over the years, decoration in public areas is very tired with black marks on walls and paint chipped from door ways and other decorative features. Fixture and fittings are old and appear dirty as a result of their age - although they may function perfectly adequately. Lighting in public areas does not always work neither does the ice machine, WiFi is slow and intermittent (tested in room, bar and restaurant). Gym is just a mess - broken lockers, cracked tiles and rusty equipment.

Food from the restaurant is passable if not overpriced for the quality.

I stay regularly at IHG hotels across the globe and can say this is the worst Holiday Inn I've stayed in, I would not return and would not recommend to others whilst the hotel is in its present state.

If this is a 4 star hotel I dread to think what the reviewer would class as 3 star.

Room Tip: In another hotel!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank geordieladinlondon
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Norwich North Hotel, responded to this review, 23 January 2014
Dear geordieladinlondon,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your recent stay with us. Our staff always goes out of their way to be helpful and attentive to the guests and we are glad that you enjoyed their hospitality. It was unfortunate to see your stay was not as comfortable as it could have been due to the the condition of our facilities. Rest assured that we take all comments and suggestions to heart so that we can improve and provide the exceptional service that our guests expect and deserve.

Once again, thank you for your thoughtful comments. We look forward to the opportunity of serving you again in the future.

Karen C