“Grand Oldie needs help” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #18 of 50 Hotels in Norwich
Melbourne, Australia
“Grand Oldie needs help”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2014

Getting tired, must have been a great hotel in its day, great staff. Rooms old and tired but clean. Supermarket and pub just 2 minutes walk. Nothing of interest around the area so you really need a car.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Bill H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Norwich North Hotel, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our hotel. We have just started a full refurbishment and we're delighted as the hotel is quite dated but we expect it to be back to its former glory by the end of the year.

We have the park and ride close by for easy access into the city and if you have got a car the amazing North Norfolk cost is only 20 minutes away so a great location for everything Norwich and Norfolk has to offer.

I hope you'll come back again once we've completed our refurbishment as the hotel will look amazing we certainly can't wait.

Thanks again for your review its very much appreciated.

Regards
Bill Heath

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2014 via mobile

From a Nordic point of view, I would say that the quality of this hotel is similar 2 star hotels.
Hotel location is convenient if travelling from Norwich airport and breakfast is what you would expect in a similar starred hotel.
Room insulation is of a very poor standard, where you can hear everything happening in the rooms around you. Bathrooms are long overdue an upgrade with no mixer taps and silicone was mouldy in several places.
In future I would pay more for a higher quality hotel.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Bill H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Norwich North Hotel, responded to this review, 15 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our hotel. As you've probably now seen from previous reviews the hotel has started a full refurbishment and the first phase will be complete by the end of 2014.

As a team we are looking forward to welcoming guests old and new to our refurbished property and we hope you'll like the finished product.

I do appreciate the property is quite tired but I hope you'll try us again when you're next in the area and you'll then be able to see the changes for yourself and hopefully rate us higher on your next review.

Thank you again for your comments they're very much appreciated.

Bill Heath

Travellers are raving about these Norwich hotels

Lowestoft, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

My company always puts me in this dump. Food is lousy whether it be evening meal or breakfast, coffee isn't much better. I always end up going round the corner to mc donalds even though my food is free in the holiday inn, paid for by my company. They hold functions mainly on the weekend & the noise levels are terrible, so be prepared for a sleepless night.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Bill H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Norwich North Hotel, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
Thank you for your review although I'm puzzled as to why you'd wait Eleven Months to write it?

I'm afraid I'd have to disagree with your whole review as we always get very positive feedback about both our breakfast and dinner offerings and our coffee is excellent and I should know I drink enough of it!

We do hold functions at the weekends however the function suite is at the opposite end of the hotel and nowhere near our bedroom blocks and as we've been doing functions for 20 years and had no other complaints about noise I'm wondering where this is coming from?

If you're so unhappy with the hotel I'm sure if you spoke to your company they'd place you elsewhere perhaps you need to have that conversation with them however since your previous stay Eleven Months ago we have started a full refurbishment and the hotel has changed hands.

Cambridge
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2014

Myself and my wife stayed for 1 night in early May 2014 to celebrate my birthday as 1) I lived in Norwich 30yrs ago 2) We stayed at the hotel in 2006 and found it lovely. This time we were disappointed. We were staying on a reward night and had the room for free, the greeting at reception was not up to the usual standard of other HI establishments....nothing serious, just poor customer service. The room on the 2nd floor (429) was clean but it was tired and tatty, the door frame was battered, the carpet was bare in places, there was a stain on the ceiling. The bathroom had a stale smell, the toilet was stained and the shower grout was black in places. We went to the swimming facilities.......the pool was not clean and had plastic cups and clumps of hair floating. The spa was out of order and taped off but even though it was not in use, it was filthy with dirty yellow water in the bottom. I spoke to a 'health club' member who said the hotel had changed hands twice in 2013, had 'sacked' lots of staff and cleaning had been affected. We were very disappointed as this was a loyalty reward night after being loyal to many different Holiday Inn hotels throughout the country on non-business stays. On a positive note, if this hotel is upgraded, it is in a superb location for the airport, the City and the coast. The park and ride next door is an excellent route into Norwich a City centre, but we won't be revisiting until we see that major improvements have been made!!

Room Tip: Ask to look at your room first!!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank blatch111
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your recent stay with us. I'm sorry you found the hotel to be in a poor condition but if you look at my previous responses you'll see that the hotel has already started a full refurbishment and this will be mostly completed by the end of the year.

The hotel was bought by our company in December 2013 and the fact that we have started a full refurbishment in May 2014 shows we are owners who care about the hotel and as you rightly pointed out it is in a great location for everything Norwich and the surrounding coast line has to offer.

We did not "Sack" a number of people we simply changed the way we did things and some of our team did not like the new systems in place and left of their own accord.

We are comitted to ofering the best customer service possible and its a pity you did not discuss your room with us whilst you were on site as perhaps then we could have moved you to another room if we'd had something to offer you.

Thank you again for your feedback we really appreciate it and I hope I'll be able to welcome you back again once the refurbishment is complete.

Romford, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

Saw the poor reviews, but decided to judge for ourselves - found the hotel with no problems at all, we arrived early and decided to see if there was chance to check in early, no problem, we were given a room upgrade as well - result - the in room safe didn't work and when we mentioned this at reception we were told that none of the safes worked, yet we were not advised this at registration , we also found the toilet didn't flush properly at any time, the bedroom carpet had sticky stains on it , hit and miss if you get toiletries i.e body lotion, shampoo, there are also dispensers attached to wall for shower gel and soap - also our room was supposed to receive complementary mineral water and mars bar each day this was missing one day,-yes the hotel is in dire need of a refurbishment,the door frames are badly battered one lift was marked as out of order yet it still seemed to be functioning - the swimming pool we were told has a serious leak so will be closing in next few weeks the jaccuzzi was taped off empty except for some yellowing drops of water still remaining not sure how long this has been like it , we are IHG rewards members and have not stayed anywhere quite like this, We hear the hotel is due a major refurb but how long have they been saying this I wonder, the very least the hotel should do is be up front before taking bookings, no in room safes, no jaccuzzi and the room rates should reflect this there should be reduction. On a positive breakfast was good but when busy the food wasn't replenished or not very quickly, no noise from airport heard whilst we were in hotel, would we stay here again - no

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Bill H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Norwich North Hotel, responded to this review, 30 April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write your review about our hotel. I agree the hotel is dated and as I've previously responded the hotel is going to be refurbished and the said refurbishment has now started.

The whole property will be done over the next 12 months and the bedrooms and bathrooms have been scheduled from May through to November. The health and fitness club is being started at the end of May and will be closing certain areas of the club at certain periods to allow the work to be carried out.

The company who own the hotel now only purchased it in December 2013 so they are picking up a lot of the under investment from the previous company and we should be saying "Well done" to them for acting so quickly on getting it put right.

I did notice you said you wouldn't stay again, I hope you may reconsider this as when the property is finished it will be one of the premier properties in Norwich and I hope at that time you'll give us a second chance and I'll be able to welcome you back to the all New Holiday Inn Norwich North.

Thank you once again for your review we appreciate all feedback both positive and negative.

Cape Town Central, South Africa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014

I had a one night stay here as I was waiting for a next day flight from the conveniently close airport 5 minutes walk away. There is a very handy bus stop accros the road (Park and Ride) that runs into the city centre around every 15 minutes. So with time on my hands it was no problem going to see the sights for a few hours - very worth while as Norwich is very historic.

The hotel itself was a bit of a letdown, being rather pricey and in need of a bit om attention (threadbare carpets , very dated bathroom etc) For the price paid (around 140 GBP) I feel they should offer something a bit better. The restaurant staff was very friendly and helpfull, but next time I'll find a nice pub in the area and eat there as the food was like the hotel - in need of upgrade.....I have to add that the staff was very friendly and really treated me like a guest.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our hotel. The property is old and it is time it had a refurbishment and I'm really pleased to inform you that the said refurbishment has now started.

We are having all of the bedrooms, bathrooms, public areas, meeting rooms and health and fitness club completely re-done so its a really exciting time for me and the team.

Sorry to hear you didn't particularly like the food, thats really unusual as one of the things people say is that the food and the team are great the hotel needs work!

Hopefully the next time you come and stay with us you'll give our restaurant another chance as we also have a new Head Chef who is fantastic.

Thanks for mentioning the Park and Ride it is really convenient and as you stated a very easy way to get into the city for very little money.

Thank you again for your review and hopefully the next time you stay you'll see a whole new product.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2014

Stayed here for just one night in April 2014 to attend a function. Here is my report.
Not as easy to find as you might imagine but follow signs to the airport and just as you think you are driving onto the airfield itself there is some signage.
There seems to be plenty of parking available at a weekend.
On entering the foyer you will see a car park machine in which I had to input my car reg and room number this allows for free parking and for staff to find you if required.
Check in was quite smooth and a credit card taken to allow for meals and drinks, papers etc to be booked to the room.
The room itself was on the front (airport side) of the building but we did not notice any aircraft noise at all. The only real let down of this area was the small of cigarette smoke but it was not enough for us to change room. One towel had a stain on it (not dirty just stained) and the hotel services manager replaced this even before we returned from reception, excellent service.
The swimming pool and fitness centre are found at the back of reception down a long corridor and both facilities are very good. Towels are provided if you wish to swim and you will need a GBP 1.00 coin for the locker use. There is a steam room and also a sauna room accessed from the poolside. There are a number of meeting rooms and these all seem ideal for business uses.
The restaurant was closed after lunch when we arrived but staff made a sandwich for us "no bother sir"
The evening function meal was excellent and 100 guests were served, all hot foot arrived piping hot and was to a very good standard. The bar stays open until 0400 and breakfast starts at 0500 (probably due to Flight Crew staying at the hotel).
Morning papers arrived as requested and in good time to be read before breakfast.
The buffet breakfast was also excellent with cereals, full English or continental help yourself. Loads of choices and enough to set up even the most hungry traveller.
Overall this is one of the best budget hotels I have stayed in Europe OR UK.

Room Tip: Even numbers seem to be on airport side.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our hotel and we're delighted you enjoyed your stay with us so much.

You'll be pleased to hear that the hotel has just started a full refurbishment so the next time you come and stay it will be even better.

Thank you again for taking the time to write a review your comments are very much appreciated.