“Great food and service, poor rooms, this time!”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Maids Head Hotel

Maids Head Hotel
Ranked #4 of 50 Hotels in Norwich
Great Yarmouth, United Kingdom
“Great food and service, poor rooms, this time!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2013

We have stayed here before and had a great time and always recommend to friends and family so this time we decided my sister, her partner,myself and my husband to treat my mum and dad for mums 70th with the Friday night feeling package, BBEM, wine and cocktail before evening meal. Previously we have had fantastic rooms, large, kingsize beds, large bathrooms and very clean,this time the complete opposite, isn't it always the way when you've raved about something then take someone else, our extremely small double which although ok for a one night stay or single occ of a double maybe for business clients was very disappointing, we just had enough room in the very tiny wardrobe to hang 4 tops and 2 coats, the double bed had a mattress that had gone one side my husband had a dip right in the middle, the walls were marked in the bedroom and the bathroom in desperate need of a paint, the need for a good feather duster and a red mark on the toilet seat which we could only think was blood and an apple core under the dressing table, how this wasn't noticed when hoovering by housekeeping I don't know! I know it's a very old building one of the reasons we love this hotel as its so quirky and appreciate room sizes in an old building will vary but the cleanliness and quality of the room was really not up to scratch, guess we have been lucky on previous visits with our rooms! But the worst thing was we had no sleep at all due to a constant humming noise!! However as before the evening meal was amazing, the presentation and quality of the food was fantastic, and the waiting on staff were great, well trained, professional and courteous, two young waiters stood out in particular, the breakfast was also great quality, although two of us ordered from the menu the others had the Buffet and said the quality was great, food extremely tasty, obviously excellent chefs both in the evening and for breakfast, hopefully if we return we will be luckier with the bedrooms, it's not a cheap night for 3 couples with coffees we spent £440.00 in total and this review would have been 5 star if it wasn't for the bedrooms.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Julia R
Christine M, Manager at Maids Head Hotel, responded to this review, 5 February 2013
Dear Julia R,

Thank you for your feedback.

I must apologise for not delivering to our usual high standards on this ocassion. I am in the process of conducting a full investigation as to why the bedroom cleanliness was not up to it's usual standards. We rarely hear any negative feedback in relation to our cleanliness and it is most upsetting to see. I would really appreicate it if you could contact me at the hotel to discuss further to help with my investigations.

I must also apologise that you did not find the room as suitable on this ocassion, we do indeed have a variety of guest rooms available but once again it is not something we hear too much negative feedback about as each room has its own character and charm.

I was however delighted to see that you enjoyed the service you encountered at the hotel as well as your meals. And it was great to see that you would come back to visit again.

We hope to see you in the near future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (275)
Oxford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2013

Just spent a night here, but would love to stay longer.
Situation is so convenient for the town and free parking. Nice room good size and huge bed!
Excellent breakfast with lots of choice. Staff were friendly too. Definitely would use this hotel again and recommend it.

Room Tip: booked late so had a very good deal.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Frances M
Dear FrankiemOXom,

Thank you very much for your lovely review. I was delighted to see that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay but would appreciate further comment on what we could have done differently to take this from a 4* review to a 5*.

I hope to hear back from you and we would love to see you back at the hotel in the near future.
Basildon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2013

They gave us the room we asked for, and it was a dream room, the breakfast was very good as well, and personal very polite! we traveled as a couple on january 2013 for one night and, definitely coming back again!

Room Tip: Suites are lovely!
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DanielPalau
Christine M, Manager at Maids Head Hotel, responded to this review, 2 February 2013
Dear DanielPalau,

Thank you very much for your feedback in regards to your stay with us. It is always great to hear that our guests have enjoyed their time with us and we hope to welcome you back in the near future.
Cambridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2013

The hotel is in the centre of Norwich and the reception was very efficient and helpful. IHowever, the car park is not easy to find and there is a need for some good signs.

The room was very large with a bed that could take four people easily, and was very comfortable. Extremely well decorated and very clean throughout - I was impressed.

Had a bar meal and because there was a long delay (they couldn't find the sausages!) the barman/waiter was very apologetic and engaged in talking to me - a free glass of wine would have been very acceptable because of the delay - perhaps next time.

The breakfast was disappointing - self-service and all the food rather dried up.

Would certainly stay there again but go out for breakfast - all in all 9 out of 10

Room Tip: Try not to have aroom over looking the car-park was noisy around 6.00 am
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Eric B
Christine M, Manager at Maids Head Hotel, responded to this review, 31 January 2013
Dear Eric B,

Thank you very much for your review.I was delighted to see that you enjoyed the majority of your stay however I was alarmed to see that the comments made about breakfast and bar food.

We are currently in the process of changing our breakfast buffet system and hopefully on your next visit you will see a marked improvement.

As for the chef not being able to find the sausages I must apologise, this is the first I have heard about this incident and will investigate further. We have recently recruited a couple of new chef's but they would certainly know where to find everything in the kitchen before being left on their own.

We look forward to seeing you back here soon.
Ely, Cambridgeshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2013

I recently had a one night stay at the Maids Head Hotel. A snowy stay but thoroughly impressed by the hotel and all of the staff. A clean room with all of the facilities you would expect and enough room to carry on working for a few hours after I arrived. And with complimentary parking in the centre of Norwich too.

A Fantastic bar and restaurant with very pleasant staff who were happy to interact and provide recommendations on the menu. I had a three course meal off the new menu and will be returning to the hotel even if only to use the restaurant if i havent got enough time to stay.

Thoroughly impressed and had a really great relaxing stay. Will be returning again soon.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank jmwljw
Dear Jmwljw,

Thank you ever so much for your lovely review. I was delighted to see you enjoyed your time with and look forward to welcoming you back soon, whether it be for an overnight stay or another lovely meal in our winepress restaurant.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2013 via mobile

One night stay with dinner for two plus breakfast. The hotel had the room ready on arrival mid morning. Dinner was fantastic, three courses plus am excellent breakfast. Service in the restaurant equally good.

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank HedgehogIan
Dear Hedgehoglan,

Thank you very much for your lovely review. We were delighted to see that you enjoyed your stay and in particular your meal with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2013

We had no complaints at the Maids Head Hotel in Norwich. Our room was clean, comfortable and spacious and the shower was hot with lots of water pressure. Breakfast was the best hotel breakfast of the holiday. It's in a very central location and parking is free if you're guest of the hotel. Wifi is also free. On top of all that, we received excellent service when I was trying to send a fax to a hotel in Italy. The girl at the desk told me the fax machine was a little slow and that if I wanted to go out, she would keep the fax and confirmation under the desk until I returned. After visiting the Cathedral across the road, I popped back in to see how the fax had gone. The girl explained that it had been rejected but she would keep trying and told me to head off and keep enjoying my day. Hours later I returned. It turns out the fax number that I had been given was old and the girl had even gone to the trouble of looking up the hotel on the internet to find the new fax number so she could complete the fax for me!

Room Tip: We chose the cheapest room and it was still a very good room. Not much of a view though, which I ima...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mialiam
Dear Mialiam,

Thank you very much for your kind review. It is always great to see positive feedback from guests especially when they mention particular highlights, in this instance being the service from the receptionist. We will pass on your kind words to the team.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.