“Very enjoyable”

Ranked #4 of 50 Hotels in Norwich
Leven, United Kingdom
“Very enjoyable”
Reviewed 11 April 2013

Stayed here for a week while in Norfolk on business and found this an excellent hotel. A very old building with plenty of history so not perhaps the easiest layout to navigate although areas are well signed. The room was very clean and comfortable and I would describe it as of an "individual" style and certainly not the type of faceless room you quite often find in national road side hotel chains. The staff were all excellent and really put in that little bit extra effort to make sure I enjoyed my stay. The location is very good for walking into Norwich city centre and a large choice of local eateries and pubs nearby. A very enjoyable stay.

Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank 697simonc
Christine M, General Manager at Maids Head Hotel, responded to this review, 16 April 2013
Dear 697SimonC,

Thank you very much for your lovely review. I was delighted to see that you enjoyed your time with us.

Once again thanks for your review and we hope to see you back soon, why not try our 5 course taster menu next time, an absolute treat not to be missed out on.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (278)
Reviewed 11 April 2013

I have stayed at this hotel before and so chose this hotel again because enjoyed it last time. Its in a lovely location within Norwich walking distance to the cathedral and loads of restuarants. The breakfast is really good and all staff I came across were friendly and accomodating. Rooms are nicely presented and feel clean and modern with a traditional twist.
The room I had stayed in last time was nearer the back of the hotel and was a nice size but when I checked in this time I was surprised to be given suite 1 at the front. When I got to the room it was really lovely very large with a nice sized bathroom. Major downside however is that it is very noisey...being right on the road you get road noise, the room directly above has very creaky floorboards (and it was floorboards) and it is right next to the main door and stairs into that corridor so you can hear everytime someone comes into that corridor which is very dissapointing! I would not hesitate to stay here again however I would request a room further back within the hotel and not on the main road or next to main corridor doors.

Room Tip: Request a room further back in the hotel...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Dear FP86,

Thank you very much for your lovely review. I was delighted to see that you enjoyed your time with us but was extremely disappointed to see that you encountered some minor problems with noise whilst here, we do not often get these complaints especially not from our suites. You will however be delighted to hear that we are currently working on our refurbishment plan which we hope will eradicate some problems such as the odd creaky floor board and noise issues.

Once again thanks for your review and we hope to see you back soon.
Norwich
Reviewed 10 April 2013

My friend and I just visited for afternoon tea at the weekend and were quite disappointed with the food but the service and surroundings were good. The afternoon tea consisited of sandwiches of cheese and mango chutney, Egg and salad cream and salmon (tinned) and cream cheese, there was 1 scone each and then a very small piece of stollen and chocolate brownie each. As my friend has a nut allergy we asked if both the cakes contained nuts - they did so we asked if there was an alternative she could have. The waiter came back and said all he could do was give us some extra scones, I find it odd that there were no non-nut alternatives. Anyway overall it was OK but I've definitely had better.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Hales29
Dear Hales 29,

Thank you for your feedback. I was extremely disappointed to see that you did not thoroughly enjoy your afternoon tea with us, it is one of our most popular menu items. We pride ourselves on great food and service and it seems on this ocassion we have let you down. I can assure you that we only use the freshest of ingredients (Not tinned salmon) and the sandwiches that you recall having on this ocassion our not our standard sandwiches that we put out for afternoon tea.

I must also stress that I have spoken to our Head Chef and he has assured me that we will have a greater selection of desserts available for future which can be nut or gluten free for dietary requirments on our afternoon tea selections, you should not have just had the choice of scones.

We hope you give us another chance and visit soon.
Crook, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 April 2013

We only went for afternoon tea...but what an event! Arrived with 16 students and somehow the booking got lost in the system...did that phase anybody....nope, just sit down and the tea arrived, along with an apologising manager who sorted everything into quite an event. Just what you should expect but it does not happen very often ... Just goes to show the professionalism and confidence they have at this hotel. The manager even showed the students around....impressed? Well you should be I was...as for the price...very cheap (£9 for a full afternoon tea....I want more of this!)

You must not miss this if you are in norwich you won't do better......

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank MalcolmRead
Dear MalcolmRead,

Thank you very much for your lovely review. I was delighted to see that you enjoyed your time with us and very proud to see how much you enjoyed your afternoon tea & tour with us.

Reviewed 5 April 2013

Nothing was too much for all the staff. They were polite and very efficient.

The food was absolutely magnificant.

The rooms are spacious, clean and quiet. The en suite is more than adequet.

The hotel is a lovely mix of very old and new.It is the oldest hotel in the UK dating back to 1257. The blend has been done very tastefully and the modern doesn't detract from the old.

The location of the hotel in the Tombland district, is central to Norwich, just yards from the magnificant cathedral. The shopping areas are good as well.

My stay there was a pleasure. Hopefully I will return.

Excellent.

• Stayed March 2013
Christine M, General Manager at Maids Head Hotel, responded to this review, 8 April 2013
Dear Glosterguy,

Thank you very much for your lovely review. We have put a lot of work into ensuiring that our service standards are to the highest level and feedback such as yours will certainly encourage the team to continue these levels of service.

We hope to welcome you back in the near future.
Bedford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 April 2013

Probably the best two nights I have ever spent in a hotel. Nothing special about the rooms - just more than adequate in every way, and just what you'd expect. But the customer service! Second to none. Staff who knew what you wanted before you knew it yourself; everything done immediately and efficiently, and with a willing smile. Quite excellent!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Dear Jennijay10,

We hope to welcome you back in the near future.
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 April 2013

Lovely long weekend away in superb Norwich.
The hotel was great Breakfasts ample and staff really attentive. Although there were plenty of functions on over the easter weekend, we were not disturbed by any of them and slept through the lot.
The hotel combines what is evidently a medivel coaching room with modern accomadation, we had a good sized double room with views over the city of Norwich, so were not disturbed by the cathederal bells on Easter Morning.

Room Tip: We were in 410 and this was very quiet and peaceful
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Mintmoocher,

Thank you very much for your lovely review.

I was delighted to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you found everything to be satisfactory and comfortable.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.