“Lots of character, very good location, pricey”
Review of Maids Head Hotel

Maids Head Hotel
Ranked #4 of 50 Hotels in Norwich
Milton Keynes
“Lots of character, very good location, pricey”
Reviewed 30 May 2014

This is an old rambling hotel, with some modern bits at rear. Quite a few steps to various levels. Staff are friendly. Nice lounge areas and very old restaurant/bar area. Breakfast good.
The hotel is situated right by the Cathedral which is lovely and has very pretty grounds. It is also very close to the shops on the other side and directly in front is Tombland, which has numerous restaurants. In fact, there is no shortage of places to eat just outside the hotel, from pubs, Italian, Indian, Oriental etc
The hotel is quite pricey, mainly due to its age/history and good location.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank MKFinchie
Christine M, General Manager at Maids Head Hotel, responded to this review, 31 May 2014
Dear MKFinchie,
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. We are glad your family enjoyed their stay in Norwich and we look forward to seeing you again soon.
pp Christine M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (280)
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Great location and friendly service. The Maids Head Hotel is reportedly the oldest hotel in Britain. It is near the Norman Cathedral and presents as a wonderful base for discovering not just Norwich, but also East Anglia.

Room Tip: Not all rooms are accessible by the elevator.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank JPSewell
Christine M, General Manager at Maids Head Hotel, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Dear JPSewell,
Great to read that you enjoyed your visit to Norwich and The Maids Head Hotel and we hope to see you again if you are ever back in Norfolk.
great yarmouth
Reviewed 25 May 2014

We stayed with friends on a "seasonal treat" offer, and I must say that everything was very good, Bedroom: clean and fresh, Food was first class, although evening meal service was slow, over 3 hours, breakfast excellent choice. all the staff were helpful & friendly, good hotel for visiting Norwich. easy car parking. we have stayed here before, and look forward to our next visit.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Christine M, General Manager at Maids Head Hotel, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Dear Nigel A,
I am glad to read that you enjoyed your stay here at The Maids Head and that you will be back. We look forward to it.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 May 2014

Do eat at this restaurant, which I think it has a new chef. The dishes were superbly cooked, the service was excellent and the ambience quiet and pleasant. The prices were very reasonable for this quality. The reception staff were welcoming and helpful.

The hotel is right in the centre and quiet. It has a lovely old façade but inside many of the bedroom areas are modern and ordinary.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Christine M, General Manager at Maids Head Hotel, responded to this review, 23 May 2014
Dear Maurice P,
I am glad that you enjoyed your meal in our restaurant and I will pass on your kind words to the team. We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Took my daughter and grandson to afternoon tea. Crisp white linen and lovely cake stands made this a superb afternoon tea with great sandwiches, savouries and sweets including a small Eton Mess. Excellent value for money and the staff were so kind and helpful.
Enjoyed it so much I am taking my mother-in-law there for afternoon tea next weekend.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Dear HGeorge2507,

Thank you for taking the time to review your afternoon tea. I hope that you find your next visit equally as good.
Briport
Reviewed 17 May 2014

This old hotel just off the city centre was chosen for the Plant Heritage (PH) national AGM & weekend when 125 plantaholics arrived for the convention. The car park was small, but the PH marshalls did a sterling job and squeezed everyone in, even into places that did not exist.
There is one lift in the hotel, but even using that there were so many short staircases to be negotiated that a few of our number had to start their journey quite a bit earlier than the rest to be sure of being in the right room, or at the front door at the right time.
The room we had was good, with plenty of space and in the bathroom too. We ate in for both evenings and with pre-ordered menus we knew what we were getting. The surprise was that with 125 moutrhs to feed the whole thing was managed effortlessly, although the length of time between each course was a bit longer than we would have liked.
Breakfasts were the usual, but good, international affair, with the addition of porage, kippers eggs benedict and a few other options as well. I asked for kippers one morning and was offered poached eggs as an accompaniment, which I accepted. Few places offer kippers as standards and these were excellent.
The one down side was that we wanted to stay on for a couple of days extra, but when I had enquired as to availability (plenty) and asked the price, I was told a ridiculous amount as "we are starting the high season sir." As it turned out, the Norfolk PH had made arrangements for members to stay on at the same rate, but the news had not reached the (male) receptionist who answered the phone to my enquiry. A pity, as the hotel we went to was a shambles.

Room Tip: The hotel is on two side of a triangle, with one side being a main road, so the higher up you are, t...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Christine M, General Manager at Maids Head Hotel, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Dear Clive R,

We are glad that you enjoyed your AGM and stay here at The Maids Head. We feel that part of the charm of our hotel is the age and individuality of the building - we are possibly the oldest hotel in England. Unfortunately this means that we do have access issues for the less mobile. I must apologise that the message about your group negotiated room rate had not reached the member of staff you spoke with, an error of omission on our part. I do hope you will consider us again next time you are in Norwich.
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 May 2014

I recently had a party at this hotel in the Oak room and the Bar next to it as I did not want the disco in the same room. I told the hotel through their events coordinator what I wanted and they did it. It was a memorable evening. Everything happened exactly as I wished. The staff were friendly and looked after the room really well and the bar man pleasant and helpful. The buffet was excellent, really tasty finger food ,hot and cold and plenty of it. They found me a D J who played the music I had requested. The Oak room is a lovely function room. My guests have told me how much they enjoyed the venue and the food and how great the staff were too. This was my one and only party and it was fantastic. I had two friends who stayed in the hotel for the weekend and were very happy with the entire stay. I am so glad I chose the Maids Head, If you are looking for a party venue, this is the place.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Christine M, General Manager at Maids Head Hotel, responded to this review, 16 May 2014
Dear Clare M,
Thank you for your kind review. I have passed on your thanks to all involved and we are glad that you had such a memorable evening.