“Wonderful stay in a Hotel full of character with excellent staff”
Review of Maids Head Hotel

Maids Head Hotel
Ranked #4 of 50 Hotels in Norwich
Chingford
“Wonderful stay in a Hotel full of character with excellent staff”
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Just home from a long weekend stay. Great room overlooking the Cathedral, comfortable and clean..Ok.. so no aircon but the hotel dates from the 1100's..what do you expect! and fans did the trick.. The staff service was excellent particularly from Richard and Michael in the Restuarant/Bar. Good quality food and drinks. Perfect location for walking into Norwich. The lounges were very relaxing whether for wine/beer, tea/coffee or snacks...mind you the cream tea is lovely !.. we will be back !!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Christine M, General Manager at Maids Head Hotel, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Dear Chris T

Thank you for your review, I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay in our historic property, the views of the Cathedral from those rooms are special. I will pass on your kind remarks to my team and I hope that we welcome you back here soon

Christine Malcolm

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (278)
Brighton and Hove, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 August 2014

The unsmiling reception was efficient if not welcoming. Room spacious with a good view. Very basic hospitality tray and no air conditioning. Even though resident,we were refused dinner as they were-apparently-full. I should have booked when reserving,but was never asked if we wanted dinner. Breakfast was good. The only member of staff that appeared to care much was the charming lady at reception when i paid nearly £200 for two for bed and breakfast, poor value. Hotel is very near all amenities and they know it.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the cathedral. The bells stop at night!
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
Dear Mr Shellard

Thank you for taking the time to write your response and I am sorry to read of the problems you encountered, we were extremely busy in the restaurant that night and we are now reviewing our procedures to ensure that we inform residents of busy periods and that it may be difficult to book a table before they arrive. We currently are implementing a cooling system into fifty percent of our rooms and continually use customer feedback to improve our product and service offering.

Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 July 2014

I visit the Maids Head Hotel every Wednesday morning for our BNI Castle Chapter meeting. The hotel is spotlessly clean and everyone is really friendly. Bruno is just amazing and extremely helpful! Its nice to see another smiling face that early in the morning!The room we have our meeting in is perfect for corporate events, weddings, meetings etc. It is a really great space and we all fit in there very comfortably. We have a Full English breakfast in the morning and it never fails to disappoint! Also they have plenty of parking which is always a bonus!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Christine M, General Manager at Maids Head Hotel, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
Dear Katie B,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review, we are really pleased to welcome you each week and Bruno enjoys looking after everyone.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 July 2014

This hotel markets itself based on its central location and impressive history (there can only be one Oldest Hotel in the UK), but for the prices it charges it needs to be able to compete with others across all fronts - food, rooms, service.

And it tries. I'd just spent two nights in a Suffolk hotel for half the price, I was expecting to see high quality, and I did - when I opened the door to my room, I was impressed by the quality of the furnishings.

Unfortunately the room itself was tiny which made things difficult. Given the age of the building I realise there is little they can do, but perhaps this should be reflected more in the pricing; I paid £82 for the room only (Breakfast buffet was separate). I had asked for a quiet room though, and this was accommodated through giving me a room on the 3rd floor facing the courtyard rather than the busy roundabout.

Would I stay here again? I wouldn't be able to pay more for a larger room if in central Norwich again on business - it would probably have to be the Premier Inn a couple of streets away. If less need to be central, I'd recommend the Grove B&B which I reviewed on here couple of years ago. However, I enjoyed the general character and ambience of the place.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Christine M, General Manager at Maids Head Hotel, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Dear Gokhart1

Thank you for taking the time to post your review and I am pleased that you found the bedroom to be of good quality, all the rooms in the old wing are a different shape and size due to the age of the building that adds to its character. We do have rooms in the new wing that are more similar to the corporate chain hotels if that is the guest's preference, I do hope you will stay with us again and try one of these rooms.

Christine Malcolm.
Albany
Reviewed 26 July 2014

I loved my stay. I was there with a friend for five nights. The room was spacious, the bathroom almost luxurious (it even had the heated towel-rack system) and the service was friendly and prompt. Not at all stuffy, the Maids Head combines English traditions --like tea, high or low, in the informal lounges, with efficiency about electronic needs such as free wi-fi for multiple devices. Taxis come fast, and the desk helps readily for special needs like consulting a doctor. It is sited directly across the road from the great Norwich cathedral, begun in the 12th century, that provides a peaceful setting for England's oldest inn. Go in the summer to enjoy the long twlights.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Renunion 2006

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your kind review, I am really pleased that ypu enjoyed our lovely hotel.

Regards

Christine Malcolm.
Staines, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 July 2014

We stayed at this hotel after my daughter's graduation from UEA and we had a lovely time. The rooms were enormous and well kitted out and they made a fuss of my daughter in the restaurant when they found out she'd just graduated.Food was delicious. It was a bit of a trek to our room up one staircase and then a spiral staircase, which was fine for us but might not suit everyone. Very friendly staff.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank SurreySarahUK
Christine M, General Manager at Maids Head Hotel, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Dear SurreySarahUK

Thank you your your review and congratulations to your daughter on her graduation, we are pleased that you enjoyed your stay.

Canberra, Australia
Reviewed 22 July 2014

This hotel has character. It claims to be the oldest in England (800 years old) with a string of notable guests across the ages. (Fortunately they have updated the plumbing recently). The hotel is comfortable, with well furnished rooms. They layout of the hotel is unplanned, with wings added on and amalgamations with other buildings, such that there are different levels and staircases leading off in various directions. My room would not have been accessible for people with limited mobility. It was also a bit small, but fine for a single traveller. The hotel is located very close to the historic Cathedral and the cobblestone streets of the historic part of town. It is about a 10 minute walk to the castle and the bus station. I walked from the train station with my luggage to the hotel on arrival (about 15 mins) but decided to take a taxi when checking out which was easy and not expensive. I see that some other reviewers had difficulties with breakfast, but in my case I was very satisfied. The food was nice and the service was excellent so they may have lifted their game since some of the other reviews on TripAdvisor. I didn't eat dinner at the hotel because there are so many nice restaurants nearby. Local cuisine (e.g. game meats) is available as well as a Indian, Japanese, Spanish and Italian restaurants close to the hotel. The hotel has special offers from time to time and I got a discount on the room as part of a conference. If I was going back to Norwich I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Christine M, Manager at Maids Head Hotel, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Dear Condor T,

Thank you for takling the time to write a review on TripAdvisor, I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and that you will come and stay with us again when you are next visiting Norwich, when you do return you should try our restaurant The WinePress, we serve seasonal, local food and we are winners of the 2013 Norfolk Tourism Award for best food and drink experience.