“Lovely old hotel”

Ranked #4 of 50 Hotels in Norwich
London, United Kingdom
“Lovely old hotel”
Reviewed 22 August 2014

We returned to the maids head hotel, and we were given a suite as we had our daughter with us. Nice size room, very comfy beds. lovely big bathroom. All the staff were very friendly, breakfast was great. The hotel is in a great location, and has free parking . We didn't eat in the restaurant this time, but the food and menu are great .

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Christine M, General Manager at Maids Head Hotel, responded to this review, 25 August 2014
Dear juliemoore_13
It is lovely to read that you have stayed with us before and chose to return. The team appreciate your kind words and we hope to achieve 100 for your next visit!
pp Christine M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (275)
Oakland, California
Reviewed 21 August 2014

I paid £175 for a single double-bed room through hotels.com. When I checked in the concierge mentioned I'd gotten one of the cheap rates through "hotels.com or expedia" -- his words. I was then told I'd be staying in the "new wing". When I asked if there were older rooms available he said no and that they were "quite a step above" the rooms I'd be staying in -- implying the price was much higher. However I'd seen someone on yelp comment that they'd had a great stay in an Elizabethan-style room for £150 (part of some sort of historic Norwich package). So I had assumed my stay would be in a similar room -- their website doesn't seem to mention that there's an "ugly sister" wing, built in the 1960s, for people who book online.

Shrug, a bit of a bait and switch. The room was a bit tatty, servicable size, nothing special about it. Bathroom tub/shower incomprehensible at least to this sleepy traveller -- ended up with my feet in a freezing cold tub of bath water while the medium-hot shower water cleaned my hair. Tub didn't drain well, so it was either cold water, or scalding water from below -- I picked cold. Maybe will look again tomorrow.

Ran out of TP almost immediately, no backups in room (am a single female traveler with no stomach ailments at the moment, ahem -- so that shouldn't have been a problem.) Plastic cups in bathroom so cheap they broke AS I WAS OPENING THEM. Chips and scuffs and stains. Nothing special. Ordinarily I wouldn't bother to complain about a baseline hotel, but was expecting something much nicer.

Location is still good, and staff friendly enough. The service at the restaurant below was very slow, food was ok.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Phrannest
Dear Phrannest,
Thank you for taking the time to write your review and I am sorry to read of the issues you had with your stay. It appears that we were fully booked during the period of your stay and that you had one of the last rooms available so we were unable to change your room to the old side of the hotel. We are in the process of renovating a large number of bedrooms and value feedback to ensure we improve our service in the future.
Nottinghamshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 August 2014

We stayed in this hotel back in May but I've only just got round to reviewing. My niece was getting married and this hotel was chosen for all the guests to stay in. We arrived quite late in to the evening on the Friday but were checked in efficiently. We then went for a bite to eat in the bar (we have 2 children, 7 & 3 so wanted something informal). The service in here was second to none. Nothing was too much trouble, food cooked for the kids that wasn't on the menu, lovely meals for us. Just what we needed after seveal hours in the car. Lovely atmosphere and great place to unwind with a drink or three! We were given a large room to accomodate 2 extra beds for the kids (we were told in advance we would need to provide these which was not an issue however maids head provided all the bedding). Lovely room overlooking the cathedral. Breakfast was fab, buffet or menu, all with great service again. We stayed 2 nights and wouldn't hesitate to stay here again. Even my 7 year old has been asking if we can go back! Have to stay in Norwich again overnight in October and this place will be top of the list!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank KBontoft
Dear KBontoft,
I am glad that you will be back in Norwich again in October and that you enjoyed your stay so much that you are coming back to The Maids Head. We look forward to seeing you then!
Kinross, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Booked a one night stay through Classic Hotels. Received a free upgrade and were very impressed by the friendly staff as nothing was to much trouble. Ideally placed to explore central Norwich and with free Parking an added bonus. Breakfast was another jem so all in all well worth 5 Stars. We will definitely return.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tom F
Christine M, General Manager at Maids Head Hotel, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Dear Tom F,
Glad you like our location and convenience. We pride ourselves on the friendliness of our staff so thank you for your kind review. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 14 August 2014

For people who like us are touring and spending a night in Norwich, the Maids Head Hotel is very conveniently located right next to the cathedral and only a short walk to Norwich's lovely shopping and restaurant district. Parking is steps away in the back.
The hotel itself is a bit ramshackle with stairs going off in different directions, but the common areas are modernized and quite pretty. If you have a chance in the evening check out the pub... I'm not sure how authentic it is, but it has a lot of friendly charm.
The rooms themselves are a mixed bag... of our group's three rooms one was large and with a nice view. But the other two were actually somewhat dire... clean, but quite small, spartanly furnished and with a view looking out over the courtyard's rooftop exhaust fans. On a warm summer night the lack of air conditioning made for a fairly uncomfortable night.
Nonetheless, I would return to this hotel... but definitely only if guaranteed one of the larger renovated rooms facing away from the courtyard.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank LouPotato
Christine M, General Manager at Maids Head Hotel, responded to this review, 17 August 2014
Dear LouPotato,
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at The Maids Head Hotel. Our location in the center of Norwich is very convenient for all the sights and sounds of the City. The hotel has so many stairs because it was originally 6 buildings which were gradually amalgamated over the years. As to the authenticity of the bar - there has been a pub on the site since 1267, the oak paneling is Jacobean and Horatio Nelson frequented The Maids Head Hotel when he was in Norwich. The hotel is addressing the issue of air conditioning but I am sure you can appreciate that this is a tricky job in such an old building. I do hope that the works will have been completed by the time you next visit Norwich and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Maids Head Hotel.
Reviewed 14 August 2014 via mobile

Went with a coach trip to the hotel. I had paid a supplement to have a room on my own which turned out to be tiny,the window was painted shut with a very noisy fan outside and a view of a wall ! When I complained everyone was very nice and they helped me to move to a much better room. There are lots and lots of stairs in the hotel which appear very difficult to avoid,as they go up and down from the dinning room. The food was very nice even though we were there as part of a coach party and the staff were charming and helpful. Bizarrely the wi fi code changed each day but they were always happy to give it to you at the desk. The weather was very hot during our stay and the dining room got unpleasantly warm ,the fans were not on because they might put out the candles apparently. There was a lovely courtyard outside where you could have drinks which was cool and pleasant. Nice hotel with great staff.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Annemagowan,
I am glad to read that you enjoyed your stay with your party. I am pleased that the staff were all helpful and that you found the food to be good and I will pass your compliments on. The Hotel is currently undergoing works to improve the temperature control in rooms which will improve the experience for guests so you should notice an improvement the next time you stay.
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 14 August 2014

We stayed at maids Head for 1 week and the service and breakfast were excellent. However, an added bonus was that we could have a reasonably priced dinner in the bar with Richard's splendid service. The staff at Maids Head were very competent and extremely friendly. We enjoyed our stay immensely.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the cathedral