Maids Head Hotel
PremierInn.com
US$90
PremierInn.com
1,284 results
All reviewswine pressoldest hotelcathedral suitenorwich cathedrallovely old hotelcar parkafternoon teacentral locationexecutive roomfree parkingsconesbuffet stylesingle roomvisiting norwichrestaurant staffweekend breakstayed here for one night
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 26 August 2014

Night one - we were woken at 6:30 am by the couple next door energetically "making out". Night two - 7 am we could hear every detail of the bath being taken above - at least not as a couple this time. Night three - wedding band - every drum beat and bass note could be heard and it was two floors below and not directly below us either. That apart every door appeared to slam loudly and every conversation in any adjoining room was totally audible. Not good enough for a "quality hotel"

Also don't be misled by the web site - the majority of rooms are not "ye olde oaky beams". There is a 1980's wing that we were in. The rooms are hotel average. I paid extra for an "executive" room. It had one hotel style chair and a coffee table - value for money?

Positives - of the room - generous size and a huge comfortable bed, but nothing exceptional. Staff were very pleasant and helpful,

Wi-fi - what a pain in the back to have to phone up every morning for a new wi-fi password. Why oh why could the password not last for the duration of the stay? And that was a password per device - I could have tried to connect 4 devices - How laborious!

Location - excellent - smack in the middle of historic Norwich. Very impressed with the city.

Room Tip: Holiday Inn at Carrow Road!
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Christine M, General Manager at Maids Head Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2014

Dear LeylandAtlantean,
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at The Maids Head Hotel. I am sorry that your sleep was disturbed by other guests and the wedding over our very busy Bank Holiday weekend. I am also sorry to read that you found your room a disappointment. We do try to reflect all our rooms on our website but I will look into updating some of the pictures. Due to our City Center location, and security concerns, we find it safest to update wifi passwords on a very regular basis though I appreciate this can be an inconvenience. Thank you for your positive comment regarding the staff, I shall pass that along.

Reviewed 26 August 2014

Located immediately outside the cathedral grounds, it is also a short walk to the city centre and the castle. There are restaurants and bars nearby.
I was early, but I was allowed to park. The staff were very kind and helpful. My room was comfortable and I had a good night's sleep; tea and coffee were provided.
I am unsure if the single rooms are in the same location but it was quite a distance from Reception and the route there was up and down steps and along corridors.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
Christine M, General Manager at Maids Head Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2014

Dear Tyzllmyne,
I am glad to read that you found the staff kind and helpful and I will let them know. Some of the rooms are on different levels as the hotel used to be 6 different buildings and has gradually been amalgamated over the centuries which we feel that this lends to the character of such an old building. We look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Reviewed 22 August 2014

We returned to the maids head hotel, and we were given a suite as we had our daughter with us. Nice size room, very comfy beds. lovely big bathroom. All the staff were very friendly, breakfast was great. The hotel is in a great location, and has free parking . We didn't eat in the restaurant this time, but the food and menu are great .

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Christine M, General Manager at Maids Head Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2014

Dear juliemoore_13
It is lovely to read that you have stayed with us before and chose to return. The team appreciate your kind words and we hope to achieve 100 for your next visit!

Reviewed 21 August 2014

I paid £175 for a single double-bed room through hotels.com. When I checked in the concierge mentioned I'd gotten one of the cheap rates through "hotels.com or expedia" -- his words. I was then told I'd be staying in the "new wing". When I asked if there were older rooms available he said no and that they were "quite a step above" the rooms I'd be staying in -- implying the price was much higher. However I'd seen someone on yelp comment that they'd had a great stay in an Elizabethan-style room for £150 (part of some sort of historic Norwich package). So I had assumed my stay would be in a similar room -- their website doesn't seem to mention that there's an "ugly sister" wing, built in the 1960s, for people who book online.

Shrug, a bit of a bait and switch. The room was a bit tatty, servicable size, nothing special about it. Bathroom tub/shower incomprehensible at least to this sleepy traveller -- ended up with my feet in a freezing cold tub of bath water while the medium-hot shower water cleaned my hair. Tub didn't drain well, so it was either cold water, or scalding water from below -- I picked cold. Maybe will look again tomorrow.

Ran out of TP almost immediately, no backups in room (am a single female traveler with no stomach ailments at the moment, ahem -- so that shouldn't have been a problem.) Plastic cups in bathroom so cheap they broke AS I WAS OPENING THEM. Chips and scuffs and stains. Nothing special. Ordinarily I wouldn't bother to complain about a baseline hotel, but was expecting something much nicer.

Location is still good, and staff friendly enough. The service at the restaurant below was very slow, food was ok.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Phrannest

Dear Phrannest,
Thank you for taking the time to write your review and I am sorry to read of the issues you had with your stay. It appears that we were fully booked during the period of your stay and that you had one of the last rooms available so we were unable to change your room to the old side of the hotel. We are in the process of renovating a large number of bedrooms and value feedback to ensure we improve our service in the future.

Reviewed 21 August 2014

We stayed in this hotel back in May but I've only just got round to reviewing. My niece was getting married and this hotel was chosen for all the guests to stay in. We arrived quite late in to the evening on the Friday but were checked in efficiently. We then went for a bite to eat in the bar (we have 2 children, 7 & 3 so wanted something informal). The service in here was second to none. Nothing was too much trouble, food cooked for the kids that wasn't on the menu, lovely meals for us. Just what we needed after seveal hours in the car. Lovely atmosphere and great place to unwind with a drink or three! We were given a large room to accomodate 2 extra beds for the kids (we were told in advance we would need to provide these which was not an issue however maids head provided all the bedding). Lovely room overlooking the cathedral. Breakfast was fab, buffet or menu, all with great service again. We stayed 2 nights and wouldn't hesitate to stay here again. Even my 7 year old has been asking if we can go back! Have to stay in Norwich again overnight in October and this place will be top of the list!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank KBontoft

Dear KBontoft,
I am glad that you will be back in Norwich again in October and that you enjoyed your stay so much that you are coming back to The Maids Head. We look forward to seeing you then!