“friendly staff, great value for money food.”

Best Western George Hotel
Ranked #27 of 50 Hotels in Norwich
Reviewed 4 January 2012

we live locally so didn,t use the accomodation, but we chose to celebrate a family birthday here. easy to book, when we arrived complimentary balloons on table ,a lovely touch, food was superb, steak cooked chargrilled with hand cut real chips, staff so friendly, even sang happy birthday! a perfect evening. thankyou.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank sandra f

Reviewed 3 January 2012

I used this hotel as a base whilst visiting my daughter and her family over the Christmas holidays. From arrival to leaving the staff could not have been more helpful or charming, my room was warm, very clean and well maintained during my three day stay. The dining room staff were very good and served me very well. The cheerful attitude of the staff even though they were working over their Christmas, as well as mine was heartwarming. Thank-you all.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Bruce P
Reviewed 20 December 2011

Shame about the George Hotel, checked in with a warm welcome at the desk and upgraded as a gold card holder to room 128, OMG ! Holes in the carpet, dirty walls, bath not working and a dribble from the shower.

Restaurant and bar very good with good quality food at a reasonable price, and a very nice breakfast. Upon check our I enquired about the standard of other rooms, as I had booked 6 more rooms for colleagues for the next 5 night, a tidy bit of business, the receptionist informed me that I was upgraded to the worst room in the hotel which had now been taken off line. No suggestion of a refund or apology, or a least the mention of compensation as the company had booked rooms for the next 5 nights.

Extremely poor service Best Western and not the serve expected when the economic climate is fragile, at a push 1/12 -2 out of 10. Poor service, Poor Hygine, Poor standard.

Room Tip: Make absolutely sure you check your room first before relying on the front desk, that it is the best...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank dsfbeds
Reviewed 5 December 2011

I booked 3 rooms for 2 nights each (Fri/Sat).

All were well finished and had excellent facilities.

What stood out for me was the friendliness and quality of the staff. Whilst we did not use the restaurant (pre-booked commitments) the bar was well-stocked and surprisingly (for a hotel) good value.

No hesitation in recommending (budget and quality) were key criteria for me, that were both met.

Room Tip: Be specific about what is a priority for you (shower v bath etc), the staff will try their best.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 November 2011

One night, family room. Very easy to find, plenty of parking. Very relaxed hotel. Room plenty big enough! Restaurant looked very nice, bit more expensive than your average pub grub. Had breakfast with price of room & that in itself is worth coming for. Again very relaxed, english cooked to order, quality of the food was great. We will stay there again!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 November 2011

The food was excellent although restaurant not very restfull. Bedroom was tired although clean. Shower in room 115 lacked water pressure. Staff efficient and friendly. TV was from a past age 14inch CRT. Too far out from Norwich city centre but pleasant walk.

• Stayed: November 2011
Reviewed 5 November 2011

This hotel is part of Arlington Group.
Do not book a room in this hotel if you expect to get what you see on the website.
I booked a double room for guests. I did not expect the room to be the same as the one on the website but at least of the same standard. I decided to go and see the room a few hours before my guests arrived. The room they had put them in looked like an outdated Tavelodge! Bathroom was terrible too. The women told me that only some of the rooms had been refurbished to which I retorted that then they should state that on their website. She said the room on the website was 2 years old anyway. I insisted on an ungraded room which she was able to find which was much better but still not quite in line of what is advertised on the website.
The women was most put out that we wanted to change the room, she could not even look up at me when I paid, thanked her and said good-bye... she carried on working without looking up.
If it was not for the fact that I could not get a refund I would have cancelled the room.
I do not recommend this hotel. The reception and hallways smell old and musty too, carpets are well worn and rooms are not as advertised..
Make sure you know what room you are getting otherwise go to a Travelodge where you will get a better room for much cheaper.

Room Tip: Phone before you book. Make sure you are getting a refurbished room otherwise you are being riipped...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank jen v
ArlingtonNorwich, Owner at Best Western George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 November 2011

Thank you for your nameless review although I'm unsure as to what you are talking about. We advertise a number of rooms on our website from our suites down to our single rooms, is there one room in particular you had in mind that you wanted to book as you don't state this in your review!

You also state you could not cancel the room, WHY NOT? If you hadn't booked and paid on advance purchase there was nothing stopping you from cancelling the room, nothing at all! Please get your facts right before you make a statement that is totally incorrect and misleading.

The majority of our rooms are refurbished however if a guest is unhappy with their room they can asked to be moved, it's not a problem as you did, although you forget to mention that somebody happily showed the room where your guest would be staying.

As for your retorting it should be on the website why? We have an ongoing maintenance programme which is not something people normally want to read about, if it's something close to your heart which it clearly is perhaps you should have asked the question on your initial enquiry!?

I despute totally that the reception and corridors smell old and musty as this is not the case.

I end by saying you didn't have to continue with your reservation, you chose to do so! You didn't even stay here but yet feel you have the right to abuse us which is totally unfair and as a resident of Norwich thank you for supporting one of the small businesses that is being engulfed by the corporate market! Not!

Bill Heath