“sat 5th feb”

Best Western George Hotel
Ranked #30 of 50 Hotels in Norwich
Reviewed 7 February 2012

i stayed at this hotel for a weekend brake for me and my partner was very good value for money and the staff where helpfull and very well operated hotel was run smoothly and all was nice
room size was very good
breakfast was very nice well portioned and presented also good value for money
advice on travell and locations aslo good
decore in hotel needed a little update as a few things were out dated but all was in accoredence with the hotels age and matched building decore
shower was the only bad point i have to make as water pressure was very low and water was cold for most of the time i spent in the room but over all score i would say 7-8/10 would stay again

Room Tip: all was good just needed to fix shower temp and presure
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
ArlingtonNorwich, Director of Operations at Best Western George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2012

Thank you for your review, we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

There are newer reviews for Best Western George Hotel

Reviewed 28 January 2012

my daughter and I booked a double room for the night of the 23rd January 2012. When we arrived at the this is my first ever review of a hotel so bare with me ...lol ... hotel we were impressed with how the exteria looked and proceeded to go inside to the check in desk which was unmanned. After ringing the call button 3 times of the telephone base and nearly ten minutes later the receptionist arrived and apologised for our wait. She proceeded to check us in and as we were paying cash I was told this needed to be done there and then... Not a problem I had to pay at some point ... We went up to our room after a track through the maze of squeaky corridors and found our room number 126. The room looked like it had not long been decorated and the bathroom was defiantly new, everything looked great . Pleased with our room we left and went to visit friends locally. We returned back at about 1 am to the door being locked but was swiftly let in by the security guard without hastle. Now here's where the problem begins ... We got ready for bed and was having a little chat before sleeping when we notice a gap in the middle of the bed how we didn't notice before that it was actually 2 single beds pushed together is probably because we were only in the room upon arrival long enough to freshen up after a 3 hr drive.not such an issue we pushed them back together and settled down for some rest before the long drive home in the morning ... Well we hoped to get some rest anyway this was not to be we kept hearing running water noises which we found to be coming from the bathroom , thinking we had left a tap on I went in to turn it off to find the noise was coming from the radiator/towel rail we tried turning it off but the valves were so hot and didn't seem to do nothing when we did turn them , well by this time it was 2 am so we closed the bathroom door and went back to bed only to listen to this noise for the next 3 hrs till 5 am until I eventually fell asleep through exhaustion... To be woken up at 8 am by the cleaners cupboard door which was next to room 126 creaking open and shut every 5 mins for the next 2 hours eventually we went to check out and I mentioned the issues to be told it couldn't be the cleaners cupboard as they didn't start till 10 am even though I had opened my room door at 9 and seen the cleaner in the hall way with the cupboard door propped open slightly as with the issues of the radiator I had recorded a video on my phone and showed the person in charge to be told it sounded like running water and it was almost like he was implying had turned a tap on and recorded the sound and pretended it was coming from the radiator ... Basically I felt like he was calling me a liar.. He said I can't refund you room as you paid in advance and should have paid at the end ...when I told him the receptionist had told me I hand to pay in advance he told me that was not the correct policy and should not have been told that ..so basically if I hadn't of paid he would have refunded it but because I had I wasn't entitled to anything !! I wasn't going to argue with him that's not in my nature and I wasn't haggling for a refund but felt worthless and very tired after 3 hrs sleep with a three hr drive ahead of me I have stayed in hotels up and down the country for years mainly travel lodges and have never been so disappointed as I have with this one don't get me wrong it is a lovely hotel and they seem to be making improvements to it but my stay was a nightmare. As I said I have video evidence of the noisy radiator if anyone want to hear it its available ..

Room Tip: avoid room 126
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
ArlingtonNorwich, Director of Operations at Best Western George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 January 2012

Dear Ann Marie
I'm sorry to hear you had a few annoying issues regarding your recent stay. I can assure you we have an ongoing refurbishment, maintenance and training program which will assist with resolving problems such as these quickly and effectively.
Thank you for taking the time to point them out.

Arlington Hotel Goup

Reviewed 17 January 2012

It seemed to me that it all depends on the room you get at the George Hotel. The hotel in itself is very nice, the breakfast is varied, the hotel pub/restaurant is great, nice decoration. In terms of the rooms, we went in a group and booked two double rooms and really saw the difference in quality between number 024 and 137. Both have huge beds and flat tv screens and they were both clean. However, the decoration and furniture of number 137 was so much better than that of 024! The room on the ground floor had old furniture that was clearly dated and in need of renovating, so did the bathroom (there were also cracks on the walls, etc.) whereas the room on the first floor had a beautiful modern bathroom with a much nicer. cleaner and newer look. Both rooms cost the same but number 137 was definitely value for money whereas number 024 not so much for the area. My guess is that the hotel is renovating the hotel gradually so I would recommend you request a room on the first floor!

Room Tip: I would say on the first floor
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank SilviaandChris

Thank you for your review. You are correct in saying we are in the process of refurbishing all the rooms within the hotel and we very much hope to have all remaining rooms completed in the not to distant future.

Reviewed 12 January 2012

Dear George (or whomsoever is in charge),

I had trouble connecting via the Best Western Hotel (BWH) website and so write to express my complete gratitude to you for having the good fortune to have employed on your staff the most helpful Ian (I'm sorry I don't know Ian's surname). Ian was on duty when I arrived at the George late on Tuesday evening (15th February). I had just traveled over from Bedford after two grueling days in Tribunal and en-route I couldn't get my 'phone car-charger to work. Consequently I was incommunicado and flustered when I arrived at the hotel. Ian very kindly inquired among the staff at the George looking for a charger for my Blackberry but it seems I had an older version that was not compatible with those he found.

Undaunted but recognising my predicament Ian then said that he thought he might have a compatible computer adapter at home and that he would drop it off for me the following morning before I left for my next hearing, in Norwich. To be honest I first thought that it would be unlikely to coordinate a meeting particularly as he appeared to be working late that evening. How wrong I was! The morning receptionist had the cable there ready for me, as dropped off early by Ian.

She promptly proceeded to get my 'phone charging for me and my bacon was saved!

What can I say? I was going to put some cash aside for Ian but I decided that a recommendation might yield higher long-term interest??

I discovered the delights of BWH whilst on holiday in New England last Autumn. I've used them ever since on business and privately and have yet to be disappointed.

Please pass on my heartfelt thanks and best wishes to Ian.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank butterbelly

Thank you very much indeed for this very positive review. I will most definitely pass on your thanks to Ian and his team and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Best Western George Hotel in the near future.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 8 January 2012

Our Rotarian group meet here weekly and this includes a a first class meal at a really modest price The staff are without fail, warm, welcoming and professional. I would have no hesitation in recommending this lovely, small, friendly hotel in central Norwich.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank 4Margaret

Ian and his team at The Best Western George Hotel Norwich continually strive to provide the very best in efficient, professional and above all warm and friendly service and your review reflects this. Thank you once again for taking the time to write your review, it is much appreciated.

Reviewed 4 January 2012

we live locally so didn,t use the accomodation, but we chose to celebrate a family birthday here. easy to book, when we arrived complimentary balloons on table ,a lovely touch, food was superb, steak cooked chargrilled with hand cut real chips, staff so friendly, even sang happy birthday! a perfect evening. thankyou.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank sandra f
Reviewed 3 January 2012

I used this hotel as a base whilst visiting my daughter and her family over the Christmas holidays. From arrival to leaving the staff could not have been more helpful or charming, my room was warm, very clean and well maintained during my three day stay. The dining room staff were very good and served me very well. The cheerful attitude of the staff even though they were working over their Christmas, as well as mine was heartwarming. Thank-you all.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family