“Standard.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of BEST WESTERN George Hotel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
BEST WESTERN George Hotel
Ranked #27 of 50 Hotels in Norwich
Barcelona
“Standard.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2012

Basic hotel, good value for money. I was lucky and stayed in one of the "cottage rooms" , nice, flat tv, quiet, clean, bath tube, tea, coffee, cookies. NO WIFI SIGNAL in these rooms though. But I had the opportunity to see other rooms and were not that nice.
Breakfast ok, nothing special. Good restaurant, and nice bar. 15-20 minutes walk to city centre, so probably not the best location for exploring the city.
Really nice and helpful staff.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Stockport
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2012

Have stayed for three nights in the last couple of weeks whilst away on business. Have been given three different rooms; the first (a single was rubbish; the bed was too small, yes this hotel has rooms with single beds and the national tap dancing championship appeared to be taking place in the room above me - avoid), the second (double) looked much nicer but the shower was a useless trickle and the third (king) OK. Two of the three bedrooms were adequate but bathrooms are generally old and in need of refurbishment - all were clean in the key areas around loos, but grotty in areas such as bath sealant and tiles, except the one in which the shower didn't work of course, which was modern at first sight).

The difference in price between a cramped single and a more spacious double was about 1p, so don't bother with the former.

The food in the restaurant is good and the highlight of the hotel. I am a bit perplexed as to how breakfast can be served so quickly after ordering and think there must be some heating-up done, and food arrives with an outside sheen which suggests a blast in the microwave.

Evening meals have all been excellent and the steak I had last evening was a particular cracker worthy of a good restaurant. The staff are very friendly. Overall I have decided to continue staying at the hotel for the rest of the project I'm working on based on the food and proximity to where I am working (not central Norwich) and the friendly staff and will put-up with the poor accommodation.

On the plus side again, it is a delight to stay in a hotel where the minimum inside temperature is comfortable rather than super-heated. Such hotels are a rarety.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Antthegolfer
ArlingtonNorwich, Director of Operations at BEST WESTERN George Hotel, responded to this review, 28 February 2012
It is such a shame you felt it necessary to call our Hotel 'grotty’ when you then decided to continue staying with us, enjoying the food, warmth and overall friendly hospitality and service that you clearly received during this time.
I do of course 100% challenge your initial flippant and derogatory comment and would also like to point out that our breakfasts are always cooked fresh and are NEVER at any point in time, micro-waved.
I am truly pleased you enjoyed the food and service, it is just a shame you could not have pointed this out at the very beginning as we continually work extremely hard to ensure all our customers are happy.
King's Lynn, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

Due to work commitments, it was a one night weekend away ! We got a good late deal from Laterooms, on this hidden gem in Norwich. As with any business, I think the first interface with staff can be so important, we arrived over an hour before the earliest book- in time, and instead of attempting to drive around, probably forlornly, looking for a parking space, we asked the receptionist, if we could park early at the hotel, and walk into the city, she was more than happy to oblige, and off we went, so that was a positive start. We returned a few hours, and a few pints of real ale later, to book in, which went smoothly. Our room was a little tired, decor wise, but perfectly acceptable. A good en- suite, large flatscreen TV with freeview, and the usual tea/ coffee tray. The bed was so comfortable, and being a bad back sufferer, I need a firm mattress, I wasn't disappointed, I slept like a log :-) We walked back into the city in the evening - which incidentally, takes about 15 minutes. Our intention was to eat in a Turkish restaurant, but found it to be fully booked, so decided to give our hotel restaurant ' The Arlington ' a try, we're glad we did ! We had the a' la carte menu, very good selection, with extras on the specials board, we had 3 courses each, a bo ttle of wine, followed by coffee, for £62, not bad :-) The cosy hotel bar had 2 good real ales on, and the ambience was informal and relaxed. Breakfast went smoothly. Help yourself to juices, cereals, fruit etc, having given your order for the full English, it became very busy, but the staff coped admirably. Overall, a most enjoyable stay, and looking forward to going for a full weekend next time. Paul.

• Stayed February 2012
Dear Paul,

Thank you very much for your kind comments. It is very much appreciated.
Southport, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2012

Stayed overnight at this hotel whilst visiting Norwich. Booked through Bookings.com. The staff were friendly and helpful and the room was warm, clean and the bed very comfortable. Had the breakfast which was very nice and hot. Should have had some fresh fruit available. We were only given one cup of coffee with the meal which was a bit lacking but apart from that the staff were fine. Hotel in good location for the city. Only ten minutes walk into the town or you can pick up a bus at the end of the road.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you very much for your positive review.
Ipswich, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2012

i stayed at this hotel for a weekend brake for me and my partner was very good value for money and the staff where helpfull and very well operated hotel was run smoothly and all was nice
room size was very good
breakfast was very nice well portioned and presented also good value for money
advice on travell and locations aslo good
decore in hotel needed a little update as a few things were out dated but all was in accoredence with the hotels age and matched building decore
shower was the only bad point i have to make as water pressure was very low and water was cold for most of the time i spent in the room but over all score i would say 7-8/10 would stay again

Room Tip: all was good just needed to fix shower temp and presure
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your review, we look forward to welcoming you back soon.
chatham
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2012

my daughter and I booked a double room for the night of the 23rd January 2012. When we arrived at the this is my first ever review of a hotel so bare with me ...lol ... hotel we were impressed with how the exteria looked and proceeded to go inside to the check in desk which was unmanned. After ringing the call button 3 times of the telephone base and nearly ten minutes later the receptionist arrived and apologised for our wait. She proceeded to check us in and as we were paying cash I was told this needed to be done there and then... Not a problem I had to pay at some point ... We went up to our room after a track through the maze of squeaky corridors and found our room number 126. The room looked like it had not long been decorated and the bathroom was defiantly new, everything looked great . Pleased with our room we left and went to visit friends locally. We returned back at about 1 am to the door being locked but was swiftly let in by the security guard without hastle. Now here's where the problem begins ... We got ready for bed and was having a little chat before sleeping when we notice a gap in the middle of the bed how we didn't notice before that it was actually 2 single beds pushed together is probably because we were only in the room upon arrival long enough to freshen up after a 3 hr drive.not such an issue we pushed them back together and settled down for some rest before the long drive home in the morning ... Well we hoped to get some rest anyway this was not to be we kept hearing running water noises which we found to be coming from the bathroom , thinking we had left a tap on I went in to turn it off to find the noise was coming from the radiator/towel rail we tried turning it off but the valves were so hot and didn't seem to do nothing when we did turn them , well by this time it was 2 am so we closed the bathroom door and went back to bed only to listen to this noise for the next 3 hrs till 5 am until I eventually fell asleep through exhaustion... To be woken up at 8 am by the cleaners cupboard door which was next to room 126 creaking open and shut every 5 mins for the next 2 hours eventually we went to check out and I mentioned the issues to be told it couldn't be the cleaners cupboard as they didn't start till 10 am even though I had opened my room door at 9 and seen the cleaner in the hall way with the cupboard door propped open slightly as with the issues of the radiator I had recorded a video on my phone and showed the person in charge to be told it sounded like running water and it was almost like he was implying had turned a tap on and recorded the sound and pretended it was coming from the radiator ... Basically I felt like he was calling me a liar.. He said I can't refund you room as you paid in advance and should have paid at the end ...when I told him the receptionist had told me I hand to pay in advance he told me that was not the correct policy and should not have been told that ..so basically if I hadn't of paid he would have refunded it but because I had I wasn't entitled to anything !! I wasn't going to argue with him that's not in my nature and I wasn't haggling for a refund but felt worthless and very tired after 3 hrs sleep with a three hr drive ahead of me I have stayed in hotels up and down the country for years mainly travel lodges and have never been so disappointed as I have with this one don't get me wrong it is a lovely hotel and they seem to be making improvements to it but my stay was a nightmare. As I said I have video evidence of the noisy radiator if anyone want to hear it its available ..

Room Tip: avoid room 126
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
ArlingtonNorwich, Director of Operations at BEST WESTERN George Hotel, responded to this review, 31 January 2012
Dear Ann Marie
I'm sorry to hear you had a few annoying issues regarding your recent stay. I can assure you we have an ongoing refurbishment, maintenance and training program which will assist with resolving problems such as these quickly and effectively.
Thank you for taking the time to point them out.

Kind regards

Julie

Director of Operations
Arlington Hotel Goup
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2012

It seemed to me that it all depends on the room you get at the George Hotel. The hotel in itself is very nice, the breakfast is varied, the hotel pub/restaurant is great, nice decoration. In terms of the rooms, we went in a group and booked two double rooms and really saw the difference in quality between number 024 and 137. Both have huge beds and flat tv screens and they were both clean. However, the decoration and furniture of number 137 was so much better than that of 024! The room on the ground floor had old furniture that was clearly dated and in need of renovating, so did the bathroom (there were also cracks on the walls, etc.) whereas the room on the first floor had a beautiful modern bathroom with a much nicer. cleaner and newer look. Both rooms cost the same but number 137 was definitely value for money whereas number 024 not so much for the area. My guess is that the hotel is renovating the hotel gradually so I would recommend you request a room on the first floor!

Room Tip: I would say on the first floor
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank SilviaandChris
Thank you for your review. You are correct in saying we are in the process of refurbishing all the rooms within the hotel and we very much hope to have all remaining rooms completed in the not to distant future.

Kind regards