“A good base for exploring Norwich”

Best Western George Hotel
Ranked #29 of 50 Hotels in Norwich
Reviewed 12 April 2012

I stayed at this hotel for two nights. I had a single room which was pleasantly roomy with an equally roomy en-suite. The bed was very comfortable, the room clean, TV, toiletries, tea, coffee etc. The breakfast was freshly cooked with a reasonable choice. Staff were friendly and efficient. I thought it was very good value, especially as it was only a 10 minute walk into town (and there seem to plenty of bus stops en route) so I could leave my car at the hotel and avoid parking hassles in the city. It was also very quiet, being just off the main road, and in a nice part of town.

Room Tip: I did ask for a room upstairs and it was the opposite side of the building from the bar, kitchen and...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
ArlingtonNorwich, Director of Operations at Best Western George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2012

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your positive and informative review, It is much appreciated.

Reviewed 4 April 2012

I revently stayed in this Best Western for business. It was my first stay in a Best Western and I have to say I was very impressed. I stayed in a single room, good value for money, toiletries, biscuits, tea and coffee. The bed was comfortable, the room just the right temperature, and most of all everything was clean.

The staff could not have been more welcoming. I have booked in both of my staff to stay in the other Best Western in Norwich, but only because the George was fully booked!! Thank you, I will be staying again.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
ArlingtonNorwich, Director of Operations at Best Western George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2012

Thank you very much for you great review, we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 2 April 2012

I stayed for just one night while visiting my son in Norwich. This is a great hotel, not luxurious, but very comfortable. Friendly receptionist and breakfast staff. I had a single room with a single bed, but there was plenty of room each side of it, and good bedside lighting. It was very clean with a cosy duvet, perfectly fine little shower room and very quiet, even though the room looked onto the carpark. Breakfast was lovely, and Norwich is a wonderful city and we have lived in Norfolk for 25 years but moved to the south 5 years ago. It has everything, excellent shopping, bars, clubs, theatre and history. The George hotel is perfectly placed and I will certainly use it again when I come back to see our son. Thank you

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo

We are really pleased you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back in the near furture.

Reviewed 22 March 2012

Basic hotel, good value for money. I was lucky and stayed in one of the "cottage rooms" , nice, flat tv, quiet, clean, bath tube, tea, coffee, cookies. NO WIFI SIGNAL in these rooms though. But I had the opportunity to see other rooms and were not that nice.
Breakfast ok, nothing special. Good restaurant, and nice bar. 15-20 minutes walk to city centre, so probably not the best location for exploring the city.
Really nice and helpful staff.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 February 2012

Have stayed for three nights in the last couple of weeks whilst away on business. Have been given three different rooms; the first (a single was rubbish; the bed was too small, yes this hotel has rooms with single beds and the national tap dancing championship appeared to be taking place in the room above me - avoid), the second (double) looked much nicer but the shower was a useless trickle and the third (king) OK. Two of the three bedrooms were adequate but bathrooms are generally old and in need of refurbishment - all were clean in the key areas around loos, but grotty in areas such as bath sealant and tiles, except the one in which the shower didn't work of course, which was modern at first sight).

The difference in price between a cramped single and a more spacious double was about 1p, so don't bother with the former.

The food in the restaurant is good and the highlight of the hotel. I am a bit perplexed as to how breakfast can be served so quickly after ordering and think there must be some heating-up done, and food arrives with an outside sheen which suggests a blast in the microwave.

Evening meals have all been excellent and the steak I had last evening was a particular cracker worthy of a good restaurant. The staff are very friendly. Overall I have decided to continue staying at the hotel for the rest of the project I'm working on based on the food and proximity to where I am working (not central Norwich) and the friendly staff and will put-up with the poor accommodation.

On the plus side again, it is a delight to stay in a hotel where the minimum inside temperature is comfortable rather than super-heated. Such hotels are a rarety.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Antthegolfer
ArlingtonNorwich, Director of Operations at Best Western George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2012

It is such a shame you felt it necessary to call our Hotel 'grotty’ when you then decided to continue staying with us, enjoying the food, warmth and overall friendly hospitality and service that you clearly received during this time.
I do of course 100% challenge your initial flippant and derogatory comment and would also like to point out that our breakfasts are always cooked fresh and are NEVER at any point in time, micro-waved.
I am truly pleased you enjoyed the food and service, it is just a shame you could not have pointed this out at the very beginning as we continually work extremely hard to ensure all our customers are happy.

Reviewed 20 February 2012

Due to work commitments, it was a one night weekend away ! We got a good late deal from Laterooms, on this hidden gem in Norwich. As with any business, I think the first interface with staff can be so important, we arrived over an hour before the earliest book- in time, and instead of attempting to drive around, probably forlornly, looking for a parking space, we asked the receptionist, if we could park early at the hotel, and walk into the city, she was more than happy to oblige, and off we went, so that was a positive start. We returned a few hours, and a few pints of real ale later, to book in, which went smoothly. Our room was a little tired, decor wise, but perfectly acceptable. A good en- suite, large flatscreen TV with freeview, and the usual tea/ coffee tray. The bed was so comfortable, and being a bad back sufferer, I need a firm mattress, I wasn't disappointed, I slept like a log :-) We walked back into the city in the evening - which incidentally, takes about 15 minutes. Our intention was to eat in a Turkish restaurant, but found it to be fully booked, so decided to give our hotel restaurant ' The Arlington ' a try, we're glad we did ! We had the a' la carte menu, very good selection, with extras on the specials board, we had 3 courses each, a bo ttle of wine, followed by coffee, for £62, not bad :-) The cosy hotel bar had 2 good real ales on, and the ambience was informal and relaxed. Breakfast went smoothly. Help yourself to juices, cereals, fruit etc, having given your order for the full English, it became very busy, but the staff coped admirably. Overall, a most enjoyable stay, and looking forward to going for a full weekend next time. Paul.

• Stayed: February 2012

Dear Paul,

Thank you very much for your kind comments. It is very much appreciated.

Reviewed 16 February 2012

Stayed overnight at this hotel whilst visiting Norwich. Booked through Bookings.com. The staff were friendly and helpful and the room was warm, clean and the bed very comfortable. Had the breakfast which was very nice and hot. Should have had some fresh fruit available. We were only given one cup of coffee with the meal which was a bit lacking but apart from that the staff were fine. Hotel in good location for the city. Only ten minutes walk into the town or you can pick up a bus at the end of the road.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you very much for your positive review.