“Needs tlc but.....”

Best Western George Hotel
Ranked #30 of 50 Hotels in Norwich
Reviewed 12 January 2014

As always best Western is usually good value for money. The staff were attentive and the breakfast appeared to be
freshly cooked and set us up for the rest of the day. Within easy walking distance of the shops and city centre. We will be staying here again

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Helen G

Reviewed 1 December 2013

We recently stayed at the George on a four day break, we had a lovely time and the food was delicious. I had a single room which was very small but was fine for the amount of time I spent in it. my friends had an enormous room and loved it. The staff were courteous and friendly and the hotel is in a lovely setting. As it was November and the weather a little chilly it was really cosy and warm in the hotel which was much appreciated. Yes it probably does need a little TLC but we would be happy to stay there again

Room Tip: Just relax and enjoy it
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Deirdre M
ArlingtonNorwich, Manager at Best Western George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2014

Thank you very much for review. We are really pleased you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 27 November 2013

I have recently visited this Hotel with a Group. The Hotel staff were all very pleasant and helpful and the bedrooms were comfortable but the decorations both in the bedrooms and throughout the Hotel were a little careworn.
The food in general was quite good but one day I had Bread Pudding for sweet and have never had worse, it was dry and completely tasteless and I would have been ashamed to serve it.
The lounge space in this Hotel was totally inadequate for the number of people using it and several of our party went to their bedrooms early because of this and I think the management should see if they can find additional lounge space within the Hotel.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you for your comments. We always do our best to provide the best service and we take note of your concerns regarding lack of space in the lounge area when busy.

Reviewed 28 October 2013

nice hotel, clean, comfortable, good food. It was a shame about the check out experience. I was unable to pay my bill because the person covering reception didn't have access to the hotel computer system, ridiculous!!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB

Thank you for your review. Your comments regarding our check out procedures have been addressed.

Reviewed 24 October 2013

This is our 2nd trip to George Hotel in Arlington Lane and what a lovely place. On both occasions the staff have given us 5 star treatment. We use this hotel as a meeting point for our family get together's and the staff can't do enough. They are the most polite and courteous persons ever. They always ensure you are catered for in every way without hindering. They allow you to check your rooms out to see if you are happy before accepting. They always ensure you have plenty of tea and coffee available. They even offered a platter of various sandwiches and chips for my family when they called in to see us for a chat and when we asked if they could come for dinner they went out of their way to reserved a room and set it out so professionally with all the trimmings to make it a special occasion. Well, the restaurant and meals are highly recommended - the food is mouth wateringly fantastic. Cooked to perfection every time and always presented so well - Compliments to the Chef "he must have come from one of those big hotels in London" because the food was so professional. I have been to lots of top hotels and this certainly matched their cuisine. All I can say is a very big thank you to all at the George Hotel for their wonderful caring service - they made us, my friends and family so welcome - it was home from home. "Tom, great table by the way!". The drinks flowed, the food was beautiful and service was 5 star - what more can one say except can't wait to return. We are even planning our Christmas and New Year there. On behalf of my family and I, thank you for being so professional, friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Ask for a large bathroom and the rooms come as large too for the same price. We were at the back of...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Patsy D

Thank you very much for your wonderful review, it is much appreciated and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 18 October 2013

My wife and I often frequent to the Arlington and have done for many a year. Unfortunately on our last visit we have decided not to return. We ordered our drinks to the table and they were put on a table which we did not reserve. Being regulars we know where we like to sit. So we asked if we could have that table and was reluctantly given it. (Making us move our bread and wine ourselves) Food was however fabulous as always. Young waiter was inpersonal and had no interest in chat. He wanted to get back to talking loudly with another member of staff whom was extremely loud (and distasteful) Myself and other diners certainly weren't interested in listening about his boyfriend troubles. I shall not reiterate what else was said!
We weren't offered pudding menus and staff were setting up for breakfast around us. My wife asked to see a menu and was told "kitchen shut at ten"? I asked to see the manager who practically shouted to us that it was too late but he would prepare puddings himself. Given attitude, we declined the very forced offer.
Such a shame as this place used to be a perfect retreat for my wife and I on a weekly basis. We friend another couple who visit on weekends and they too have joined us in eating out elsewhere. It seems it would suit more the "youngsters". Sorry to say we won't be back.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank JamesBaldwin
ArlingtonNorwich, Manager at Best Western George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 October 2013

I would sincerely like to apologise for the problems you encountered on your recent visit to our restaurant. Please be assured this will be investigated and dealt with accordingly. Your custom is very important to us and we will be contacting you personally to ensure all issues raised will be resolved and you can continue using our restaurant knowing you will receive the friendly, attentive service you have come to expect and deserve.

Reviewed 10 October 2013

I posted a few months ago that I would hold another meeting here after our first experience. We did - and everything was again very satisfactory. Very reasonable rates, nice room, scrummy cake. We'll be back in a few months!

Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business

Thank you very much for your review. We are pleased to hear the hotel works well as a meeting venue for your your business and hope to welcome you back again soon.