“Food is AMAZING!”

Ranked #30 of 856 Restaurants in Norwich
Price range: US$23 - US$30
Cuisines: Caribbean
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Grade 2 listed building, in the centre of Norwich City Centre. Nestled in Orford Yard Red Lion Street near Loose;s kitchen shop.opposite Deberhams Store.
Reviewed 1 July 2014

This is Norwich's best kept secret. Its a quaint little setting, hidden away from the hustle and bustle of Norwich City Centre. I was greeted with a lovely special rum drink from Denis which I would highly recommend. I had mussels to start and I have to say these were the best mussels I have ever had. So yummy. I was with a party of 7 and everyone cleared their starter plates. I went for the barracuda (which I have never had) for main and it was so tasty. Everyone was raving about their meals and there was very little sharing going on! We will definitely be GOING back!

1  Thank Vickimh

Reviewed 30 June 2014

Just visited Chez Denis for the first time and must say we will be back. We were a party of 7 adults and all without exception said this was one of the best meals they had eaten. Denis is a great host and the type of guy who likes a bit of banter so we had a good laugh as well as a perfect meal.The service is good and his rum punch is lovely. If i had to make one critisism it would be the hard wooden chairs, but hey we survived. Will definately be back for more. Thanks Denis.

1  Thank gasman22
Reviewed 29 June 2014

We are on on a stay-cation in Norfolk/Suffolk. In Norwich, on our usual search for a decent meal, with the help of Dr Google including TripAdvisor, we choose this Caribbean gem.
The Chef/Patron Denis from St Lucia, a restauranteur in Norwich for 23 years welcomed us into the restaurant it was obvious that this man knew food. So on his suggestion we chose the mutton curry creole style ( mutton marinaded for 8days! ),It was sublime. The heat, the spices, the blending was near perfection. The sides included plantain and sweet potatoes. Then there was the house " papa jack " hot sauce. Again "sublime".
The foodie evening was completed by seeing the movie "Chef" which was brilliant.

2  Thank senior_traveller60
Reviewed 27 June 2014

My wife treated me to a night away without our 2 year old so it had to be memorable. We did not want a chain restaurant and many of the "independent" restaurants tend to serve such similar food that they become the norm. We chose this little gem of a restaurant and it certainly didn't disappoint. My wife had the scallopes for starter with spring onion and ginger and she couldn't stop smiling and I had the chicken skewer with a type of BBQ sauce that was to die for. We had never tried French creole cooking before as we thought it might be too spicy, but this was perfect. For the main we both had the fillet steak with a sauce that consisted of 22 components and the owner said if we named them all then we would eat free! We all laughed but he was probably serious. I've had many steaks in my life and this was without doubt, the best. The actual restaurant is small with not many tables but that gave for a great ambience. The owner was very friendly but knew to leave you alone to enjoy your evening, you couldn't fault the service. The music was uplifting and this was perfect for a couples evening but equally entertaining for a group booking. To finish off I had a whole orange in a sauce with coconut ice cream that I gave 10/10 but then I had a mouthful of my wife's banana crepes with toffee sauce and that was even nicer. Must mention the Carib beer, I hadn't had that before and it was fantastic. I would highly recommend this restaurant for anyone wishing to try something different and have a truly memorable meal. Thank you once again for a great meal and we will certainly return when we visit Norwich, from Dan & Kiri

1  Thank Danandkiri77