“lacking flavour”

Ranked #29 of 848 Restaurants in Norwich
Price range: US$23 - US$30
Cuisines: Caribbean
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Grade 2 listed building, in the centre of Norwich City Centre. Nestled in Orford Yard Red Lion Street near Loose;s kitchen shop.opposite Deberhams Store.
Reviewed 14 July 2014

my husband took me here for our anniversary. after reading the reviews i was rather disappointed in my meal. the scallop starter was the smallest plate ive ever seen. two tiny scallops cut in half with a tiny bit of veg and sauce. my main of duck was cooked well but was lacking in the spice i was expecting from a caribean restaurant. the acompanying veg and potatoes also lacked flavour. i have to say that the banana toffee crepes for dessert were excellent but the whole meal was so overpriced for what i received i would not rush back.

Reviewed 11 July 2014

Our friends took us to Chez Denis, they'd been there before and love the place - we were similarly impressed. We were late due to weather problems on the road but this was not a problem for Denis, who is a great host, very friendly and really made us feel welcome. The restaurant is quite small and cosy, the food is excellent - marvellous flavoured sauces and the foot was top notch. The scallops were cooked just right, the Swordfish steak was my first try and I recommend it. If you like fish, this place is well worth trying out but if you like your meat, you'll probably not have tried food with such wonderful flavours, with the sauces and spices. Lastly, if you still have room you must try one of the deserts - we recommend the crepes, crème brûlée and pineapple fritters. Denis has some good wines, or if you fancy a beer I'm sure you'll like the Carib Lager. Well recommended!

1  Thank Barry L
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Made to feel really welcome and comfortable on arrival, friendly atmosphere, great beer, great mutton curry, AMAZING BANANA CREPE!!!! :-) Would totally recommend this place to anyone.

3  Thank Kirstyps
Reviewed 1 July 2014

This is Norwich's best kept secret. Its a quaint little setting, hidden away from the hustle and bustle of Norwich City Centre. I was greeted with a lovely special rum drink from Denis which I would highly recommend. I had mussels to start and I have to say these were the best mussels I have ever had. So yummy. I was with a party of 7 and everyone cleared their starter plates. I went for the barracuda (which I have never had) for main and it was so tasty. Everyone was raving about their meals and there was very little sharing going on! We will definitely be GOING back!

1  Thank Vickimh
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Just visited Chez Denis for the first time and must say we will be back. We were a party of 7 adults and all without exception said this was one of the best meals they had eaten. Denis is a great host and the type of guy who likes a bit of banter so we had a good laugh as well as a perfect meal.The service is good and his rum punch is lovely. If i had to make one critisism it would be the hard wooden chairs, but hey we survived. Will definately be back for more. Thanks Denis.

1  Thank gasman22