“Lovely Food and Atmosphere” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #22 of 812 Restaurants in Norwich
Price range: US$23 - US$30
Cuisines: Caribbean, Jamaican, French
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Cash Only, Delivery, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wine and Beer
Description: Grade 2 listed building, in the centre of Norwich City Centre. Nestled in Orford Yard Red Lion Street near Loose;s kitchen shop.opposite Deberhams Store.
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Lovely Food and Atmosphere”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2014

I visited Chez Denis not long ago for a mid week meal whilst visiting Norwich.

I took advantage of the theatre meal offer which was two courses for 18 pounds before 7.30.

The meal was lovely and the atmosphere in the restaurant very welcoming. I had avocado and prawns to start and then a nice Creole chicken stew for my main course.

I thoroughly enjoyed my meal but did think that it was quite expensive. There wasn't a large amount of food for what we paid, but it was high quality.

The prices for food outside of the theatre deal are quite expensive, however Creole food seems hard to find, so this restaurant is worth a visit.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank samthecannon

Norwich
“Fantastic Food Definitely Worth A Visit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2014

Myself & other half visited the restaurant on 29th August after reading the reviews on Trip Advisor. We were greeted by friendly faces and sat down to our table immediately. It is a small restaurant with a lovely atmosphere.

Our starters were delicious - I had prawns which had a hint of chilly and tasty sauce. The mains were very good. I would definitely have the monk fish again and the better half had the steak with 22 ingredients. We couldn't name them all so had to pay for the dish! Worth every penny though.

We finished the meal with the bananas with pancakes and sweet sauce - chosen by Denis as we couldn't decide which desert to have.

I would definitely recommend a visit and we will certainly be returning.

It's not your Michelin star restaurant. This is not a negative comment - far from it - if you are looking for fancy cutlery & plates with waiters in black tie then this is not the place for you. However if you want great food, full of flavour accompanied with wholesome veg & potatoes with a great front of house host full of passion and smiling face then you will not be disappointed.

1 Thank Anna D
“Mediocre and expensive”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2014

Host/owner charming but found the restaurant had a fried food aroma! Food was acceptable but felt the quality was what most people could serve at home and the price tag was expensive.

• Visited March 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Emmasu92
Norwich, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A gem of a restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2014

Visiting Norwich and looking for a nice restaurant and found a gem of a place. I'm not sure there are many that will beat this. We had prawns and chicken as a starter and the sauces that came with them were amazing. Main course was chicken curry and filet steak - both amazing dishes and the steak was served with really tasty veg - that could be a meal on its own. Creme brûlée was recommended for dessert and this was the best that I have had! Also not to be missed is the rum punch - we couldn't decide what to have and this was recommended - has to be tried!! Fantastic evening and will visit again!!

Worcester
“nice restaurant and nice owner & family”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

When I revisit Norwich I will definitely dine here again. Denis is good fun and his family who were dining here next to us as it happens were interesting to chat to. I have slight reservations about the food - did not think my scallops were any better than ordinary considering the price - fresh or frozen? The mutton curry was good, and the banana fritter cooked to my liking was excellent. Denis’s son looked after us superbly. We had a great time.

• Visited July 2014