“a lovely place to stay”

Ranked #24 of 50 Hotels in Norwich
Westcliff-on-Sea, United Kingdom
“a lovely place to stay”
Reviewed 27 September 2012

we have just spent a night at the Mercure in Norwich and what an enjoyable night we had , our room was very clean and well decorated , the bed was big and very comfortable and big fluffy pillows , we also had an evening meal in the hotel which was £22 per person for 3 courses, the food was lovely and great value for money the staff in the hotel were very nice and could not be more helpful , we also had uses of the hotels swimming pool which was very clean and warm ,and the breakfast was outstanding , such a selection of food to have , all in all a very enjoyable stay and we will be coming back again next time we are in Norwich , thank you to all the staff at the Mercure

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Stuart C, General Manager at Mercure Norwich Hotel, responded to this review, 2 October 2012
Thank you so much for your kind review. We strive to provide a superior service experience for every guest and I am delighted that we are getting it right. I will pass your comments on to my team. Thank you once again and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Norwich.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
  • Polish first
Darlington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 September 2012

Very much like a contractors hotel!

Dirty shower. Prison like atmosphere to the corridors.

Bar meal awful but breakfast almost good - excellent sausages.

Disinterested staff.

View of a dilapidated carpark: yes, it is in the middle of an industrial estate.

Stayed on 13 September - the first of many visits to Norwich - but very much the last to this hotel!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
Fortunately fatboybald you are in the minority, but I am always extremely disappointed to receive poor reviews such as yours. It is true that we are a 1970's built hotel on the edge of the beautiful city of Norwich but most of our customers recognise us as a modern, scrupulously clean, friendly hotel with great food and service driven staff. We obviously failed you during your stay for which I apologise.

Travellers are raving about these Norwich hotels

Reviewed 10 September 2012

Went along with 29 others at the cost of £25 a head for what we were lead to believe was for a Abba tribute band night with 3 course meal included, the waiting staff did a good job and were very attentive and served a reasonable meal but then it came to the entertainment, 2 women in poorly fitting wigs and outfits who were nothing more than very bad karaoke singers after a drunken night out with no sign of the male members of the band. The dj that had been the warm up act couldn't even get the equipment to work properly. After suffering their squealing for 10 minutes all 30 of us left along with other guests there which wasn't really great considering there was less than 100 people there and that included us 30. Before we left we did complain to the manager for the night a boy who looked no older than about 12 who himself admitted they were not good!!! I rang the next day (Sunday) to speak to manager but told he will be in at 9am tomorrow and he would call me, I gave it till 11.30 no call back so I rang again only to be told surprise surprise he's not in today but I could speak to the events manager a lady who couldn't really understand why we were complaining as its advertised as Abba tribute not Abba band I don't really get the difference? She said they had never had complaints before and said she will get the manager to call me tomorrow, I won't hold my breath on that seeing as I was told the same yesterday!!!! We paid £750 for a roast beef dinner had to pay extra for 8 taxis home because the mini buses we had booked to collect us after the night wasn't available to collect us earlier. For the meal and the hotel staff we think a fair price of £15 a head is worth it but can you really see them offering us £300 back well watch this space we are not leaving it here it is false advertising and we have rights

• Stayed September 2012
I am pleased that you and I have had the opportunity to speak regarding the Abba tribute night and that we have come to a mutually satisfactory agreement. It is worth noting that we do indeed have very few adverse comments about the monthly tribute nights that we run at the hotel which are normally attended by around 200 guests. We hope to see you all back at one of the 12 tribute nights we will be hosting in 2013.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 September 2012

Both my wife had a nice stay booking in was a warm and welcome greeting it was handy for visiting the area and was excellent value for money we would stay again if and when we vist the area again. the breakfast was the right start to the day

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank BOB418
Stuart C, Manager at Mercure Norwich Hotel, responded to this review, 7 September 2012
Thank you for your kind review, I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to our fine city.
Tulse Hill, London
Reviewed 3 September 2012

Before writing my review, I have read ALL the 50+ reviews already here. I like and appreciate the fact that Stuart, (GM of the hotel), has personally acknowledged / commented on the majority of them. It shows the hotel's management take all reviews seriously! That can only be good, in my opinion!

Firstly, my 'overall rating' is 'good' BUT there is no 'good' option available. It's a choice between "very good" and "average". Too much of a gap between both where 'good' should be. As I don't believe it was "very good" I have to choose "average", (with this explanation why).

Having visited Norwich last year, (literally for an hour!), I decided to return at the earliest opportunity. This came last week. Along with my son, I came back. Coincidently, I had received an e-mail from 'Jupiter Hotels', (unknown name to me), offering a £20:12 room-only option, (with additional options of £40:24, (with breakfast), or £60:36, (half-board). I could not decide on the dates, so the deal timeline came & went before I could book! On checking Mercure's site itself afterwards, it offered an even better deal......worked out for me at £87 for 3 nights, WITH breakfast! I booked on the spot. The hotel's attraction was BOTH the rate and the Health Club facilities!

On arrival I will admit I was 'slightly disappointed' at the 'exterior' view. It was NOT inviting. I did know the hotel had an 'industrial estate location', so I was not THAT naive to expect the Ritz! Signposting is a must for anyone who is NOT a local or familiar with the area. The 'front entrance' that is visible as you approach is NOT the actual main entrance. That is 'tucked away' past the NatWest ATM...with poor signage. I went to the 'dummy' entrance and all was locked! Not a great welcome. On getting to reception however, the greeting was warm and friendly. All was in order, no need to produce booking reference numbers et al. We were given Room 92. On First floor, but there is only the one upper floor, (the Health Centre being in the basement). [with Stenna lifts to get elderly / infirm down to it......nice thoughtful touch!]
The room was 'comfortable' I always check everything before unpacking to ensure no 'surprises' that can come back to bite your bill later....there were none :)
The single beds we had ARE on rollers.....while I can see the reasoning behind that, (for cleaning purposes), they MOVE TOO EASILY! May I suggest 'locks' like those on baby buggies! Also, I found the mattress too soft.....but admit that comfort like that is a very personal issue!

For a 4* hotel I was massivly disappointed with the TV reception! While it was a plasma, AND HD-ready, the reception was VERY POOR and MONO! In this 'digita;' age the LEAST the hotel should have is full digital service if not HD! Why have the quality screens without the quality service!. I also believe the tv should be wall-mounted. Being on the desk gave the feel of a B&B!

Breakfast: Truly filling! HOWEVER, make sure you get there on time, (finishes 9:30 weekdays/10:00 weekends). The food is GONE by 9:31 / 10:01 !!. At £13:95 pp it IS STEEP for breakfast! If it was NOT included in my room-rate I am totally honest in saying I would have not paid that price! On my last morning there a guest, who did not have a breakfast rate, asked if he could simply get tea and toast, and I think I overheard the waitress quote £5....so the profit margin on food is high! Same applies for dinner. The prices are way too much for the choice! I had no qualms on not dining there. Ditto I did not drink in the bar! One PLUS is a 'Pizza and Movie' deal the hotel offers, (delivered to your room!). A choice of a pizza, (choice of 2 Veg options and 1 meat on the menu), a beer, (330cl bottle...or a soft drink), + a movie from the choice in your room...upwards of 15.......My son & I enjoyed that option!

LOVED the pool / sauna / steam room & jacuzzi. Note that while the on-line pictures show the pool as a very BRIGHT environment, howevere there are 2 underwater lights beneath the water that light up the pool. That's it! If someone in the pool stands in front of the lights it's suddenly quite dark! This is NOT a criticism, simply an observation, and did not detract at all from my son's & my enjoyment there-of!

Transport: NOT having a car, I did realise the hotel is NOT within 'walking-distance' of the city! I did some 'public transport-checking' on-line and it totally does NOT tell you what you need to know! Simply.....there is ONE bus, #28, that runs approx every half-hour, (10/40 past'ish), and costs £2 single, (adult), and £1:40, (child to 19 inclusive)....yes, you read the age correctly. I don't know the return rate, but it's safe to sat £5 + £2.50.....If you travel by train, I totally recomment adding PlusBus to your arrival and departure dates. Cost £2 for an adult, (and £1 for a child), and is soooo worth it. You can travel as often as you want on the buses the day you arrive and leave! The #28 runs from the TOP of the road, by the cars dealership. Out of the hotel, straight up the hill to the main crossroads, turn left & about 300m down the road. The return bustop is perpindicular to the townside stop.

Hopefully, my review serves to both advise my thoughts on my visit AND to bring management's attention to some things that need addressing! I tried to review based on what maybe HAS NOT been commented on already, (no need to be repetitive), and hopefully I've put a new slant on the review process. Simply saying 'hated it' does not truly reflect a person's view!

I would definitely stay here again! Thank you Mercure and your staff. I look forward to the FINAL refurbishment being complete, and being invited back to witness....

Keep up the good work, and continued success......

Room Tip: Apart from disabled rooms, rooms are on the only level above ground! None are too far from the lobby...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Un1c0rn
Stuart C, General Manager at Mercure Norwich Hotel, responded to this review, 7 September 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a detailed review. I am delighted that you and your son enjoyed your stay and our hotel. Your feedback has been very helpful and I am sure that others will find it helpful too. We look forward to your return visit and I hope your next stay will be as pleasant as this one.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 September 2012

We stayed for 4 nights. Rooms were good sized and beds comfy.We had problems with toilet flush and lighting in room.Restaurant menu was too expensive with a limited choice.Although our stay was comfortable the attitude of the majority of staff was substandard.Front desk and restaurant staff need to be more welcoming and courteous towards guests.

Room Tip: rooms facing the main road are too noisy
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Thank you for your review. I am glad you found our rooms spacious and comfortable. I am however, very disappointed that you found my staff's attitude substandard. I do hope you will stay with us again so that we can show you the high levels of customer service that my team normally achieve.
Suffolk, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 August 2012

Very friendly reception staff who were happy to help with any questions. They asked if you wanted to book a table for dinner, when you arrived, and asked if you wanted a wake-up call or newspapers in the morning without having been asked about it first.
The pool is lovely and relaxing and the jacuzzi, steam room and sauna are lovely to relax in, bit i wouldn't call it a "Spa" as such. The hotel was clean and comfortable and the rooms were light, spacious and air conditioned with tea and coffee facilities. Breakfast was superb with a large selection of things to choose from - continental or full english!
The first appearance of the hotel from the outside wasn't great (slightly dated in appearance), but inside was lovely.
The only downside i thought is the signposting for the hotel was poor, and i actually missed the turning for it first time around as i didnt see the sign

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank angel0071987
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am glad that you received a friendly welcome and that you enjoyed our leisure club and breakfast facilities. I do hope you will stay with us again on your next visit to Norwich.