“Family weekend”

Ranked #24 of 50 Hotels in Norwich
Ipswich, United Kingdom
“Family weekend”
Reviewed 4 November 2012

Rooms comfortable,all staff polite and very helpful,dining was an absolute pleasure both in venue, choice of food and wine and the pleasurable partaking of both. The whole family (14of us) went home relaxed and happy with our stay. We recommend this hotel to one and all.

Room Tip: Pick a room that does not face onto the very busy A140.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
Stuart C, General Manager at Mercure Norwich Hotel, responded to this review, 6 November 2012
Thank you 'John H' for your very kind review, I am so pleased that you and your family enjoyed a relaxing weekend break here at Mercure Norwich Hotel. We do hope you will come and stay with us again for your next family getaway.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
  • Polish first
eastbourne
Reviewed 2 November 2012

Stayed here with grandchildren. Room was very spacious and clean, beds comfotable and swimming pool a good size and at different levels. All staff very friendly and helpful. Breakfst good with a good choice too.

Room Tip: Free parking, children eat free
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your break here with your family. Thank you also for your kind comments about our staff, I am very proud of my team and we strive to provide a friendly and professional service at all times. We do hope you will stay with us again.
Comrie, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 October 2012

We have just got back from a long weekend to Norwich which was part of a birthday present for myself. We were travelling with 2 children (5 and 3) and stayed at this hotel for 2 nights.
We found the hotel easily, and while it may not be the prettiest building in the prettiest location, the hotel was warm and comfortable. It was also very easy to reach the centre of town from here and with a useful Asda directly opposite for the wee things you realise you've forgotten to bring!
The staff were very helpful and personable, from reception and restaurant, to bar and spa.
We ate in the restaurant on the first night - the food was OK but nothing special and we struggled to find something on the childrens menu that they might enjoy (apart from the ice-cream desserts!) The wine list was also quite limited in choice. The breakfasts on the other hand were quite superb in both choice and quality - fantastic!
Our family room was spacious and consisted of 1 double and 2 single beds (both proper beds and not put-me-up options on the floor as we have experienced in other hotels) - facilities were good.
We used the pool and jacuzzi on both nights - staff were very accommodating and the children loved the shallow pool especially for them and the floats and woggles readily available for them to use. A great addition to our stay!
However, our trip was somewhat overshadowed on the second night by a stag party staying just up the corridor from us and making a lot of noise. We did phone down to reception to complain and the hotel staff did their best to deal with the noise before the party went out for the night at 10.30pm, when our youngest finally dropped off to sleep (and also when they returned at 4.30am). The hotel should consider where they place such parties - perhaps well away from family rooms to give us all a chance to enjoy our stay?
Overall, we did enjoy our time at the Mercure - the staff were the big credit to the hotel and if we knew we could be guaranteed a good night's sleep we would use the hotel again.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
Stuart C, General Manager at Mercure Norwich Hotel, responded to this review, 23 October 2012
Thank you for your very kind review. I am delighted that you found our hotel and its facilities to your liking and our staff helpful and personable. I am extremely disappointed that your sleep was disturbed by another party in the hotel. We will review the allocation of rooms from now on, thank you for bringing this to my attention. I do hope that you will stay with us again on your next visit to Norwich.
Deal, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 October 2012

My husband and I stayed in this hotel for one night whilst visiting friends in Norwich, although far from a beautiful location it was clean and comfortable and easy to get into the city centre.
Breakfast was nice, varied and filling. We got a bargain through actually using the hotel website rather than a booking agent site, which was a nice surprise. However it did stipulate we would get pimms on arrival. This did not happen, no mention of it at all by reception staff. As we were going out that evening for drinks anyway we weren't really bothered by this, but if it says that's included then the staff should know to offer.
The room was clean and tidy, enough facilities but not a huge difference between Mercure and Travelodge.
My only real criticisms would be; air conditioner in the room is set to one temperature which I'm sure in summer is nice but September? too cold, it would have been nice to have been able to adjust it rather than keep turning it on and off.
The other point would be the pool, although on the small side it seemed very nice, but it was so heavily chlorinated my eyes started burning very quickly making it quite unpleasant, and the Jacuzzi was so bad we had to turn it off and sit without it bubbling as the steam was stinging my face. Also when i got out and showered I noticed my bikini had been bleached by the chemicals in the water. This is a swimsuit I have had for a while and used at many locations including another Mercure hotel and it has always remained the right colour.
We had a nice weekend on the whole we found it to be a very easy location to get to in and out of Norwich, but I wouldn't rush to stay there again.

Room Tip: we were on ground level, higher would probably give a much nicer view than the car park!
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much for your review. I am glad you found our hotel clean and comfortable and our breakfast good and I am sorry that you did not receive your glass of Pimms on arrival. I appreciate your feedback about the temperature of our air conditioning units. We will of course look in to this.
With regards to the chlorine levels in our leisure club I can confirm that the water is tested regularly in both the pool and jacuzzi to ensure that they are at a safe level, I have checked the records and there were no anomalies. I will however re address the procedures following your comments. Thank you again for your feedback
Rugeley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 October 2012

I have stayed here on several occasions and I have to say, whilst some of the room decor is a little dated, the overall package is an absolute bargain. Staff are very polite and accomodating and the ladies on morning duty in the restaurant are lovely. The gym is more than adequate for most people's needs and I wouldn't hesitate in recommending the hotel to others

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
Thank you for your kind review, it is always nice when a guest keeps returning to our hotel and I am delighted that you would recommend us to others. Thank you for your lovely comments about my staff. We look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 October 2012

Just spent 4 nights at this hotel and have only good things to report. The room was very clean and contained 2 comfortable double beds, 2 easy chairs, plenty of drawer and hanging space, more than enough towels and a array of toiletries. Both breakfasts and evening meals were excellent.
The staff were very helpful and friendly.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Stuart C, General Manager at Mercure Norwich Hotel, responded to this review, 11 October 2012
Thank you so much for your kind review. It is always a pleasure to receive such positive feedback from one of our guests, I do hope we will get the chance to welcome you back to our hotel again in the future.
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 October 2012

Absolute bargain- under £52 B&B for 2 for 2 nights. Nice spacious room, good breakfast, cheap eating places very close. Pool was good but small. Only slight down was the disco downstairs till midnight, but we've heard much worse. Would go back again

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mjandjim
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review. I am glad that you enjoyed your bedroom, breakfast and our leisure club. I am disappointed that you were disturbed by the disco in our event room, please accept my sincere apologies. I am delighted that you would choose to stay with us again and we look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.