“An average hotel on the ring road”

Mercure Norwich Hotel
Ranked #24 of 50 Hotels in Norwich
Reviewed 27 November 2012

Stayed at this hotel for 2 nights on business in Norwich. Just a very average hotel. Very dated public areas, these certainly need an update. Fairly small rooms, but comfy enough bed. The room was clean and with a decent shower. Average food, I think the chef needs to go back to basics and learn how to boil a potato but a nice breakfast with a good choice.

Free Wifi in the rooms but only if in range of the router - if not you have to pay to connect via a cable. Little health club downstairs was good. Nothing special in the vicinity - the hotel is on ring road but its easy to find and has Asda, McDonalds, KFC and a pub nearby.

Couldnt fault the staff really, they were helpful and polite.

Overall , a very mediocre experience but ok for a business traveller.

Room Tip: All rooms are average. There are no views here.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
Stuart C, General Manager at Mercure Norwich Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 December 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am sorry that you thought our hotel was 'average'.

I can confirm that we are currently undergoing a programme of refurbishment which will be an ongoing process into 2013.

I am glad you found your room clean, your bed comfortable and enjoyed our leisure club. Thank you also for your kind comments about my team.

I do hope you will consider staying again in the future.

Reviewed 26 November 2012

We stayed at the Mecure Norwich for a weekend break, I totally agree with the previous comment on the staff. Whilst the majority were quite young the service they provided was "Top Notch". They were friendly, helpful and smiley, including the young chap in the Spa.

The hotel is in need of some refurbishment but its not awful; our room was large and clean. My only real downside was that is no Wifi in the rooms but the reception did mention that this was being upgraded in the near future. Wifi was available in the public areas.

The location was not a problem for us as we had our car and I did hear the receptionist explaining that there was a bus service into the City Centre within a few minutes walk.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Stuart C, General Manager at Mercure Norwich Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 November 2012

Thank you so much for your kind review and the wonderful comments you made about my staff. I am very proud of my team and i know that each one of them will go the extra mile to make a guests stay special. Thank you once again and I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 24 November 2012

We stayed at this hotel last night with our friends. Firstly we would like to mention how wonderful, caring and attentive all of reception, bar and restaurant staff were, they were all lovely. The only disappointing thing on this stay was, breakfast as it was stated as being available at 10:30, We arrived at 10oclock and there was no breakfast left. We had to order it and we thought it would come to us fresh. When it had arrived it was not what we ordered and was obviously microwaved and very rubbery. I would definitely stay at the hotel again but I would avoid breakfast in the future. Thank you

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review. Thank you also for your very kind comments about my team. We have invested a great deal of time in training and as you can see it is really paying off. I was however disappointed to read that you were unhappy with your breakfast experience, please accept my sincere apologies. I can confirm that we are taking the appropriate measures to address your concerns and prevent a future occurrence. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back to Mercure Norwich in the future.

Reviewed 23 November 2012 via mobile

The hotel is just a few miles always from Norwich Airport and a few seconds from the A140.
The room I stayed in needed some TLC,there was a strong draught coming through the windows and the room always seemed a bit cold but the staff were great and the food was very nice, I would have no hesitation in staying there again.

• Stayed: November 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am delighted that you found my staff great and that you enjoyed the food here, but disappointed that you found your bedroom draughty, cold and in need of TLC. Please accept my sincere apologies. I can confirm that we are currently undergoing a programme of refurbishment, with more than half our rooms already completed. This will be an ongoing process which will continue in to 2013. I am so pleased that you would stay with us again and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 20 November 2012

Booked last minute on the internet for purpose of a base in norwich when visiting friends for a night out in the city centre. I didnt do my homework enough and didnt realise its a fair ride in a taxi to any of the bars. However that didnt matter.
The room was great, clean and comfortable. The service was great too. The girls on reception helped getting my taxi and were very pleasent. This was on a saturday night, there was a wedding in the hotel and lots of other groups too. They were busy!
We used the fitness centre and pool too. A bit too much cholorine in the jacuzzi which made my eyes sting but the chap incharge came and sorted it out after i mentioned that to him.
I would recomend this hotel to anyone who is thinking of staying in norwich and using it as abase to explore the area. One tip though, the taxi driver didnt know where it was as it has changed its name untill i said it was by asda.

Room Tip: Get a room at the back.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Stuart C, General Manager at Mercure Norwich Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 November 2012

Thank you for your taking the time to write a review. I am so pleased that you found our hotel clean and comfortable and my reception team helpful. Thank you for recommending us to others on Trip Advisor we hope to see you again on your next ‘night on the town’

Reviewed 15 November 2012

If you want to experience historic and lovely Norwich, once England's second largest city, don't stay in this hotel on Boundary Road, a part of the usual ring road. The neighborhood is modest and the city centre is a reach. If you're just passing through or want the airport, it would be adequate.

Room Tip: I'm not sure there is one, unless you enjoy views of the parking lots.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
Stuart C, General Manager at Mercure Norwich Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 November 2012

Thank you for your review. I am most disappointed that you didn’t find our hotel satisfactory on your recent stay. As you mentioned we are situated on the outer ring road of Norwich and unfortunately that means the views from our bedrooms are not spectacular, but I do hope that you could see that we are a modern, clean hotel with great food and staff who go out of their way to look after our guests. Perhaps you will give us another try if you visit our fine City again?

Reviewed 12 November 2012

I am writing to thank you for hosting our Annual Sailing Club Celebration Dinner at the Mercure Hotel Norwich. The evening was an outstanding success with the guests complimenting both the food and service as well as the venue.

The evening was co-ordinated to a very high standard and level of service was exceptional.

Having spent a relaxing afternoon enjoying the hotels leisure facilities prior to the evening festivities, we felt pampered with a wonderful room and excellent breakfast the next morning. It really made the event for us.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends

Thank you so much for your kind review. I am delighted that you enjoyed both your Sailing Club Dinner and our hotel facilities. Thank you also for your wonderful feedback regarding our food and service. I do hope that you will consider us again for your dinner next year.