“Exceptionally friendly & helpful local staff made our stay a treat!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mercure Norwich Hotel

Mercure Norwich Hotel
Ranked #23 of 50 Hotels in Norwich
London, United Kingdom
“Exceptionally friendly & helpful local staff made our stay a treat!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 December 2012

Pleasant hotel - room size good - restaurant food was very nice . We loved the pool and the health club facilities & found the staff in all areas ie reception/restaurant/bar/health club/housekeeping exceptionally friendly and willing to help. Would definitely recommend this hotel based on our recent stay - very good value for money & only a 10 minute taxi ride into the city centre :o).

My only criticism of Mercure is their central reservations team who initially could not locate my reservation and subsequently on a later phone call didn't even know they had a property in Norwich....terrible PR...sort it out at head office, please!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Stuart C, General Manager at Mercure Norwich Hotel, responded to this review, 28 December 2012
Thank you so much for your kind review. I am so pleased that you enjoyed our hotel and its facilities. Thank you also for your wonderful comments about my team. I am delighted that you would recommend us and we look forward to welcoming you back to Mercure Norwich again in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
  • Polish first
London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2012

My fourth hotel stay in ten days. Perhaps I am getting a touch jaded of being in the road. However I must be fair to this hotel, it cannot help what it is.

The Mercure Norwich was born in the 1970’s and is a typical babe of that era. It cannot disguise that fact, and most of the venue is quite acceptable, albeit dated. I think the room I find most disagreeable and downright ugly is the breakfast room. I would dearly love to see how Alex Polizzi and her team would remodel this challenge.

The Mercure Norwich is quite roomy, has decent quality carpets, and benefits from free car parking. And now I am getting stuck of positive things to say.

I stayed here because I was attending an onsite client event. The client had negotiated a favourable rate and I rang reservations to book a room. No they hadn’t got the client name nor the event on file, I would therefore need to pay just shy of £100 for the privilege of staying there. “I think not, please recheck your records”. A long conversation ensued. Finally at my request I am transferred to the local reservations team. "Yes, we understand, yes we know this event is happening tonight, yes we can book you in, yes you get the agreed rate." Hurrah!

I arrive at the hotel, park up and walk to the City Suite to gain access to the hotel. The red carpet was out, rope and post was in place, the outer doors were wide open, the lights were on, and the inner doors were locked. A large group of us (including external entertainers) could not access the hotel via this route. We ring the advertised number to ask for someone to open the door. "Someone will open this shortly". They didn't.

I finally gain access via a different route and check in at Reception. My credit card wasn’t swiped; instead they deducted the final sum straight away. (I guess I won’t be charging anything to my room this evening). My credit card receipt is handed to me and I wait for a receipt. It isn’t forthcoming. “Please can I have a VAT receipt.” “Our system doesn’t allow us to give you a VAT receipt, you can have this is in the morning.” Yup, I too have never heard that response before.

I walk into my room. BRRR. It is cold and there is no way to adjust the heat setting. After a quick check of the wardrobe for a blanket I ring Reception. ‘No we can’t give you a blanket. Will another duvet be ok’? Yes, this is a perfect solution and it arrived after a 20 minute wait.

A chair in the room is damaged – to wit the seat cushion was torn. Not just a small nick in the fabric, but a great big tear. My heart sank. This is a biggie. When Housekeeping can overlook something as bad as this what else is not being done as a matter of course?

I check out the bathroom and note there are no sanitary bags. Towels have been rationed. Two small hand towels and one large towel. I like having two big towels – one for my hair and one for me. Hand towels are rarely big enough to make a secure head turban to dry hair. I run the hot tap for water. It’s not forthcoming, and I end up running the hot tap for awhile before it is a sensible temperature.

I have some time before dinner to work and open my laptop to work to find no free WiFi. *Sigh* When are hotels going to realise that business travellers need free WiFi access as standard in their rooms. We don’t have the luxury of only working 9 – 5, 35 hours per week. We have to work outside these hours, so at least help us by providing the comms tool we need – free WiFi. This is not an indulgence, it is now an essential, and in fact it’s now so important that it is one of my key deciders when booking a hotel.

So far this has not been the experience I was seeking. I turn on the television to find that the TV Channels do not correspond with what is indicated on the screen.

Am I nit picking? Yes and no. I can overlook a missed towel or a mistuned TV set, or a cold room if everything else is ok. We are human, things happen. But when there is a laundry list of issues, it is shear sloppy management and this is unacceptable. It does not matter how many stars your hotel has, basic good management should be adhered to. On the plus side, the room and hotel seemed to be clean and tidy, but the lack of attention to detail in this place is massive. This hotel needs to appoint a senior Housekeeper with clout, an eye for detail, who is preferably OCD, to get on top of things. I think if they did this, the venue would radically improve. It will never be a boutique hotel, but this place could be so much more.

Finally the breakfast. I arrive with 30 minutes to spare to discover the locusts had dined well. There was some rather shabby looking melon, a few random pieces of pineapple and there was not much hot choice from the buffet. Pretty sparse fare and it didn’t measure up to my toast and mushroom test.

I’ve found that if a venue gets the mushrooms and toast right, then you can pretty much guarantee a decent breakfast. If however they are awful, likewise the rest of breakfast will be likewise. The toast was cold and soggy and mushrooms vile. I left underwhelmed.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Le_Scribe
Stuart C, General Manager at Mercure Norwich Hotel, responded to this review, 21 December 2012
Bonjour Le Scribe! Thank you for your amazingly thorough review. You will remember that we did meet on the evening of your event and I am already aware of several of your comments. I apologise that central reservations made your booking process more painful than necessary but I am pleased that your booking experience at the hotel was so different.

I am sorry that you tried to gain access to the hotel through our main event room, but I did explain that for some reason in 1973 our hotel was built with the main reception at the side. It doesn't seem to matter how many 'directions to reception' signs we install, some guests always manage to miss them.

I have taken note of all your other comments and thank you once again for definitely the most detailed review ever!

Happy Christmas from myself and all the team at Mercure Norwich.

Travellers are raving about these Norwich hotels

Norwich, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2012

We held our wedding at the mercure in sept. Well where do i start with the positives i guess not that there are many... The ceremony room was beautiful could not fault it. We then went for photos in the gardens which again were beautiful. But that is all i can say as the day went on things got worse. We sat down for a 3 course meal which wad ok nothing like we had in out taster evening tho. By the time people across the room got their food it was cold! I then had a waiter come over to me on several occasions saying people are not happy. I said well can u sort it please and got a very blank look. We moved onto the evening rec which the room looked ok for lights etc... All very basic but looked ok the only problem the dj!!! Well he was shocking i was advised by the hotel they have a local dj and can book through them. I though to save time i would listen to them as they know what they are talking about wedding wedding planners. He was crap sorry but as a young couple we are in our 20s we did not expect 60s 70s cheesy music ALL night we asked for a different type of music to be played to be told ive got loads of requests to be played hello nobody asked for the music he was making it up as he went along. Then to top it off the bar staff were very inexperienced not a clue what they were doing. The coke was flat the beer was flat not to mention 40p cheaper upstairs why was this? Never got an answer. Then at the end ofbthe night we went back to our room i changed out of my wedding dress and went down tobthe 24 hr bar for a night cap to over hearba member of staff saying oh we have run out of this and that due tonthe wedding function we have had today. So i questioned the bar staff as to what they ran out of i was told red bull mmmmm funny as none of the people at the reception drank red bull and thats a fact!! I made this quite clear and advised i was the bride. The red faced bar member looked at myself and the other people in the bar i then said more like bad stock take or run out in general. I was then offered a complemenrty drink which i did except only a j2o as was off to bed. The next day once we left the hotel it was brought to my attention several people had creepy crawleys in their bathrooms. 1 couple got a refund after taking pics as evidence. All i can say for anyone who wants a wedding at the mercure norwich GOOD LUCK!

• Stayed September 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for posting a review regarding your wedding. Thank you also for some of the positive comments that you made. I am deeply sorry that your wedding day was not absolutely perfect, which is always our aim and I am personally investigating your comments with regards to our bar staff and the DJ. Thank you once again for the positive comments and I hope you are enjoying married life.
York, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2012

Worst hotel we have experienced in this country. Supposedly 4 star. One guest wore joggers, hoodie and baseball hat in the restaurant on our first (and only) evening and nothing said by staff who seated him, another wore shorts and flipflops! Food bland, tasteless and mostly warmed up or frozen. £22 for 3 course menu including toad in the hole or spaghetti bolognese for main course! My haddock and chips was inedible, cold and grey. When we complained Manageress very offhand.

Room 21 very tired and badly needed refurbishment. Felt every spring in mattress, indeed my husband had mark on his hip when he woke.

Ordered papers which did not materialise and when enquiring at reception, was told they knew nothing about it although it was written down when checking in.

On checking out given bill including papers, and drinks that were complimentary.

Two good things to report: 1. Cheerful young man in spa area
2. Had lovely steak at Wetherspoons 300 yards down the road

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I was disappointed with your comments regarding our food and apologise if your meal was unappetising. I have also noted your particular comments regarding room 21 and hope to make this room a priority in our upcoming refurbishment programme. We do not request formal dress code in our restaurant and this can be a sensitive issue for our staff to deal with. I tend to favour concentrating on the behaviour of our guests rather than how they look. I understand your comments but I think we need to actively avoid being judgemental. Thank you once again for your posting.
Liverpool
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2012

Stayed at this hotel for 2 nights on business in Norwich. Just a very average hotel. Very dated public areas, these certainly need an update. Fairly small rooms, but comfy enough bed. The room was clean and with a decent shower. Average food, I think the chef needs to go back to basics and learn how to boil a potato but a nice breakfast with a good choice.

Free Wifi in the rooms but only if in range of the router - if not you have to pay to connect via a cable. Little health club downstairs was good. Nothing special in the vicinity - the hotel is on ring road but its easy to find and has Asda, McDonalds, KFC and a pub nearby.

Couldnt fault the staff really, they were helpful and polite.

Overall , a very mediocre experience but ok for a business traveller.

Room Tip: All rooms are average. There are no views here.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Stuart C, General Manager at Mercure Norwich Hotel, responded to this review, 12 December 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am sorry that you thought our hotel was 'average'.

I can confirm that we are currently undergoing a programme of refurbishment which will be an ongoing process into 2013.

I am glad you found your room clean, your bed comfortable and enjoyed our leisure club. Thank you also for your kind comments about my team.

I do hope you will consider staying again in the future.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2012

We stayed at the Mecure Norwich for a weekend break, I totally agree with the previous comment on the staff. Whilst the majority were quite young the service they provided was "Top Notch". They were friendly, helpful and smiley, including the young chap in the Spa.

The hotel is in need of some refurbishment but its not awful; our room was large and clean. My only real downside was that is no Wifi in the rooms but the reception did mention that this was being upgraded in the near future. Wifi was available in the public areas.

The location was not a problem for us as we had our car and I did hear the receptionist explaining that there was a bus service into the City Centre within a few minutes walk.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Stuart C, General Manager at Mercure Norwich Hotel, responded to this review, 28 November 2012
Thank you so much for your kind review and the wonderful comments you made about my staff. I am very proud of my team and i know that each one of them will go the extra mile to make a guests stay special. Thank you once again and I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.
Cambridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2012

We stayed at this hotel last night with our friends. Firstly we would like to mention how wonderful, caring and attentive all of reception, bar and restaurant staff were, they were all lovely. The only disappointing thing on this stay was, breakfast as it was stated as being available at 10:30, We arrived at 10oclock and there was no breakfast left. We had to order it and we thought it would come to us fresh. When it had arrived it was not what we ordered and was obviously microwaved and very rubbery. I would definitely stay at the hotel again but I would avoid breakfast in the future. Thank you

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review. Thank you also for your very kind comments about my team. We have invested a great deal of time in training and as you can see it is really paying off. I was however disappointed to read that you were unhappy with your breakfast experience, please accept my sincere apologies. I can confirm that we are taking the appropriate measures to address your concerns and prevent a future occurrence. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back to Mercure Norwich in the future.