“In need of a refurb”

Mercure Norwich Hotel
Ranked #24 of 50 Hotels in Norwich
“In need of a refurb”
Reviewed 26 February 2013 via mobile

We have stayed in this hotel many times over the years when visiting family. It has been owned by various chains over the years and more recently is under the ownership of Mercure.
All that this chain has done is to increase the nightly rate by approx £20 to £30 per night, but made absolutely no improvements to the hotel or the rooms. The standard room rate is £95 per night with no deals to be had. It definitely isn't worth that.
The rooms are the same as they have been for the past 10 years. They are tired and in need of refurbishment. The rooms are always too hot and the windows full of condensation. Rooms are small and upholstery worn and threadbare.
The restaurant is always too hot, is dated, again not been decorated for years. Food is average.
The only reason we have stayed is that it is convenient when visiting family in the area. We would much rather stay at Dunston Hall, which is often cheaper, but not as convenient in terms of location.

Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank intrepidcbp
Stuart C, General Manager at Mercure Norwich Hotel, responded to this review, 28 February 2013
Thank you for your review. I am sorry that you were disappointed with the hotel's decor. I can confirm that we are undergoing a programme of refurbishment in the hotel; this will be an ongoing process throughout the year. I am also saddened that you found our food 'average' we have just launched an exciting new brasserie menu and the feedback from our guests has been excellent. Thank you again and I do hope you will stay with us again when you visit your family in Norwich.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
  • Polish first
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 February 2013

We had a perfectly alright time at the hotel, however, it is not one I would particularly recommend. Overall the building and rooms are rather worn and dated and the location is in the middle of a trading estate. The website pictures are quite flattering and rather sparse. It is functional but not atmospheric and more suited to a business stop over rather than a leisure stay. We had planned to eat in the restaurant, but in the end preferred to go out. I expect the food would be to a standard, but the mock Tudor beamed décor was rather gloomy. Overall I was surprised that it is a 4 star hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review. I am sorry you found our hotel dated. The location of our hotel (although not especially picturesque) is ideal for easy access to the city centre, main routes and lots of other local attractions. I can confirm that we are currently undergoing a programme of refurbishment and have recently launched a new menu in the restaurant for which we have received some wonderful feedback. I do hope you will give us another try on your next visit to Norwich.
ipswich
Reviewed 26 February 2013

I stayed at this hotel fot 2 nights. In general the hotel is spotless, not a speck of dust in sight(credit to the cleaners). The room although on the small side was adequate, with tv, internet access drink making facilities and a radiator which i loved as you dont find them in hotels very often. bathroom was lovely, nice big bath and lovely decorated. The spa/pool area although we didnt use it was lovely too. Breakfast was really nice, a great selection of hot and cold food and the staff were very attentive and a credit to the hotel. Fast service in the bar area too even in the evening when it was busy.

I will definatly return to the hotel and stay again. It is an excellent location and if you dont want to eat at the hotel there is a wetherspoon pub, McDonalds and Asda across the road.

The only thing I felt a bit dissapointed with and where the hotel could improve was that there was no vanity mirror where you could sit and get ready, There were lots of mirrors but all too high, first time ive experienced this in a hotel above 2 star and there was no iron in the room which would of been handy. Also although the bed was very comfy the end of the base was very shabby and ripped(wall end of bed is perfect so i suggest if they cant replace it at present to turn the base) But don't let this put you off this is the cleanest hotel i have stayed in in a long time.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your lovely review. I am delighted that you found our hotel spotless! Thank you also for your kind comments about breakfast and my team. I appreciate your feedback with regards to the vanity mirror and the base of your bed. I am so pleased you would return to the hotel in the future and we look forward to welcoming you back.
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 February 2013

Stayed here at the end of August 2012, the hotel was OK, we had gone for a hot tube and sauna break, however the hot tub had so much chemicals in it it hurt our eyes and when I got showered and changed I noticed my Tommy Hilfiger trunks had been "bleached" in the hot tube!

Even though there was a wedding on, we heard nothing! :)

The breakfast was brilliant - black pudding and fried bread!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank GrahamGallagher
Thank you for your review. With regards to your comments about the pool and hot tub, I can confirm that water checks are completed every 2 hours to measure the levels of chlorine in the water. If the levels are high then we would close them straight away and would not reopen them until the levels were back to normal. I have checked all the records for August and there were no high readings. I am so pleased that you enjoyed our buffet breakfast! We hope to welcome you back in the future.
Kent, Medway
Reviewed 23 February 2013

Just got home after a two night stay with the wife and our baby girl. Our room was fairly good, what you would expect for the price. Bathroom was a tad on the tired side but clean. Used the swimming pool and Spa, was great for our little girl as there was a shallow area in the pool. Only thing that could be better in the changing rooms is a swimming costume dryer.
We ventured out for dinner the first night to the Wetherspoons just over the road from the hotel (walking distance) normal pub food really. Second night we used the restaurant in the hotel didn't book just turned up. They had a meal deal 2 courses for £19 or 3 course for £22 so we had that, can't complain. Breakfast was an extra £10 each on top of our room cost and had the usual morning grub.
Over all feel for the hotel was it was a bit on the quite side (time of year?).Staff were helpful more so the chap with black glasses by the pool area. Some areas are a bit tired but nothing major. Would stay again if in the area. At the end of the day you get what you pay for.

Room Tip: Pint of Becks is £3.70 in the bar
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write a review, I am glad that you enjoyed the facilities in the hotel, especially the leisure club. I am pleased you would stay with us again and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 6 February 2013

Went the extra mile to make our stay memorable. Hotel was empty over a weekend but the staff made up for it by making us feel special. Would recommend without reservation. Kayleigh was fantastic and really made us feel welcome.

• Stayed January 2013
2 Thank MikeyEdwards
Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review. I am delighted that Kayleigh made your stay memorable. I will pass your lovely comments on to her. I am so pleased that you would choose to return in the future and I hope your next stay is just as memorable!
Bristol, UK
Reviewed 5 February 2013

Tried not to think of Alan Partridge when staying here, but it had that kind of feel. Staff were friendly enough and I checked in without fuss. I was allocated a room on the ground floor, which turned out to be a disabled room, which I didn't need. It wasn't just the clinical look of handrails, alarm cords and a sliding door on the bathroom that was off-putting. They had also adapted the wardrobe by putting an extra rail in. This meant that my clothes wouldn't hang properly, without creasing on the lower rail or dragging on the floor. Just not very good. The whole place was dated and not very clean. It was only the fact that I was attending a function at the hotel that stopped me from checking out. Also, I went down for breakfast at 9.10, having been told it was served until 9.30 and was made to fell distinctly rushed. The staff seated 4 separate guests together in one corner of the restaurant, turned off the lights in the other half and cleared most of the food away. Then they stood and stared at us eating! I won't be back. Especially having paid £139 for what is essentially a 1970's out of town motel.

Room Tip: Choose anther hotel.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I am sorry that you were disappointed with the hotel and I very much appreciate your feedback. I do hope the function you were attending was a success and I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future for a more enjoyable stay.

Travellers are raving about these Norwich hotels