“Poor provision for vegetarians”

Mercure Norwich Hotel
Ranked #24 of 50 Hotels in Norwich
Reviewed 23 April 2013

I stayed for four nights in this hotel as a member of a group of some forty people. As a group, we were given the table d'hote menu which offered a choice of a meat, fish or vegetarian dish at dinner. The four dishes I received were: 1. pasta with an unexciting tomato sauce; 2. pasta with pesto sauce; 3. risotto with traces of mushroom and leek; 4. pasta with tomato sauce again! Apart from the appalling lack of variety and imagination, what I did receive wasn't even very palatable. The dining room staff seemed very young and untrained. They knew nothing about the wines on the wine list and not everything was available.
The bar was inadequately staffed so there was a huge queue for pre-dinner drinks, and when we took tea on the afternoon we arrived it was not hot and there were no saucers.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
Stuart C, General Manager at Mercure Norwich Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2013

I have received so many lovely comments from your group that I am at a bit of a loss to answer these two reviews. It would certainly seem that our vegetarian provision was unimaginative and possibly one particular menu may have fallen below standards. In general your group appear to have been very happy and complimentary regarding their stay. I will investigate the food and beverage issues that you raised as our aim is to provide excellent food and service every time. Thank you again for your review.

There are newer reviews for Mercure Norwich Hotel

Reviewed 18 April 2013

I like Mercure as a brand.
This one provided me with a great nights sleep, lovely breakfast and short journey to work in the morning.
The only reason I have not awarded 5*'s is that the Cottage Pie was not as tender as I would have liked, and after a long day a good dinner is a 'given' for me.
The young lady on reception was extremely helpful in providing me with directions to my office the following morning.
Would I stay again? Yes, without hesitation.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
Stuart C, General Manager at Mercure Norwich Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2013

Thank you very much for your review. I am so pleased that you had a comfortable and enjoyable stay. I am disappointed that you did not enjoy your cottage pie; I very much appreciate you bringing this to my attention. Thank you also for your kind comments about my receptionist. I am delighted that you would stay with us again and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 15 April 2013

After reading recent reviews of this hotel I was a little worred (we had already booked the room!). This trip was our first with our 7 month old and we booked 2 nights in one of the Junior suites and were pleasantly surprised. Whilst the reception staff were efficient they were not very friendly and a little unhelpful. The room was huge, there was a dressing area and a large lounge which led into the bedroom. The room was nicely decorated and the bed was very comfortable, the bedding was some of the best I have experienced. There was also minimal noise from the corridors which is always refreshing. However, the bathroom, whilst clean, was very tired and in need of a refurb.

We had lunch in the bar on arrival which was very good. I was a little disappointed that there was no wine list but whilst prices were a little high, £14.50 for a burger, a glass of wine and a bottle of beer was only a couple of pounds more than at our local.

We used the swimming pool twice and on both occasions it was very clean as were the changing rooms. Towels are supplied so no need to take your own or those from the room.

We found the breakfast staff to be very friendly and food OK.

There is plenty of free parking at the hotel.

The hotel is only a short bus ride away from Norwich, which was a great city, with good shopping, great choice of restaurants and great places to visit. We really enjoyed the Castle, the Cathedral and the Forum.

All in all, we would recommend the hotel but there were a few niggles.

This comment is more for the hotel and if they wish to contact me I can go into more detail but I really, really dislike unecessary comments and there were a couple during the trip. Why can't staff simply say yes rather than make a sarcastic comment then say "but I will do it just this time". Neither time were my requests outrageous (I had booked a cot and it was not provided and I requested fresh water in the room on the second day).

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Stuart C, General Manager at Mercure Norwich Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you would recommend us too. Your detailed review has been really helpful to me. Thank you also for your observation with regards to staff making 'unnecessary comments'. I fully understand your point and agree that good service should always be unqualified and delivered without hesitation; we will happily use this in our training. I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 14 April 2013

Attended an event here on Saturday 13th April. WHAT A DISASTER this was !!
Despite excellent planning by the event organiser, they were let down by The Hotel managment big time.
The bar was inadeqatley stocked, they ran out of some red wines early in the evening, along with sparkling water, ice and some spirits.
They were very under staffed for this occasion, taking them 2 and half hours to serve us a 3 course meal. When the food did arrive it was very average. Not everyone recevied bread rolls, I consider this a basic item to which you should never run out of.
The waiting service was almost non existent, the tables were not cleared of glasses and bottles all night.
Don't think we will be retuning to this hotel anytime soon. The responsiblity must lay entiley with the senior managment.

3  Thank Rodney R
Stuart C, General Manager at Mercure Norwich Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2013

Following an evening when our service levels fell way short of our usual standards we have agreed a positive way forward with the organisers including an apology to guests.

Reviewed 13 April 2013

What an appalling place. Firstly little or no staff for pre dinner drinks. Then to ask for WATER and being prepared to pay for still or sparkling water. YES they had no water, Then to be told they had no WINE LIST. Next to be told they had run out of wine and had been to cash and carry to get more was a joke!! Manager not present absolute appalling service the slowest I have witnessed. 2 hours for a starter and main course. The worst thing about this is the company is still in business

Room Tip: Avoid at all costs
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends

It is fair to say that managerially we failed to achieve our usual high standards of food and service delivery, for which I apologise. On considered reflection I hope the reviewer will be pleased that the organisers of the event and hotel management have agreed on a mature and positive way forward, including an apology to guests.

Reviewed 10 April 2013

Disappointing hotel, after having stayed at various Mercure hotels around the country.
The staff need to be retrain as they have a problem smiling or looking happy. Breakfast service needs improvements, items were not available, Rosti potatoes were not available on both days, instead on one day they had sliced potatoes which were badly cooked, ie oil was too hot, so very brown on the outside and greasy inside. Toast served colds, run out of yoghurt drinks on the second day, first day had to ask for it to be restock, restocking of items was slow. My wife asked for honey and hot water, on the first day, never arrived. Second day found the honey, it was a bottle next to the sauces at the end of the hot breakfast items display......Waitress could have pointed this out to us more clearly, because when we first asked for it, we were told it was available with all the items.
Second morning , asked for a more coffee and toast as we were a table of 6, and just giving us 6 cold sllices for the whole table was thoughtless. Waitress said she was doing something else, but would bring it anyway. 10minutes later had to asked the waitress again for the toast and coffee, to which we had a surly answer was that brown or white toast.....wow, didn't know we could choose before, as we are brown toast people. So one asks the question why were we not asked this before?
Cleaning of the bathroom needs urgently attention, both days we found pubic hair in the bathroom, first night it was under the bath handle, second day on the floor. Bath needs to be cleaned with a bath cleaner, not just wipe down. Greasy stains were evident.
On a positive side we manged to get 2 smiles from the staff, once from the manager who seem to be going around checking, fairly warm welcome from receptionist when we arrived, though she neglected to offer us a invoice when we checked out, otherwise it was evident staff seemed to be reluctant to smile, Mercure Norwich could a big leaf out of the Premier Inn book she. It comes to make guests welcome.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Stuart C, General Manager at Mercure Norwich Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Having received so many lovely comments regarding our staff and levels of service recently it was particularly disappointing for me to read your own account. I think it is fair to say that your issues largely centre around staff members failing to achieve their usual levels of friendly proactive service. We will take your comments and criticisms on board; use them in our training and in our continued drive for excellence.

Reviewed 7 April 2013

We stayed here for one night before visiting Fakenham racecourse. Excellent hotel. Rooms spacious and very clean. Used the swimming pool which was great. Luckily we checked in early enough, as the pool closed at 5:30. Didn't make use of the restaurant for dinner or breakfast, as thought it was a bit overpriced, especially when compared to the excellent value for the room. This was our first stay in a Mercure hotel and we will certainly use them again.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
Stuart C, General Manager at Mercure Norwich Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2013

Thank you for your review. I am so pleased that you enjoyed our hotel and found your room clean, spacious and excellent value for money. I am delighted you liked the Mercure brand and I do hope you will stay with us next time you visit Norwich.