“Service without a smile”

Mercure Norwich Hotel
Ranked #24 of 50 Hotels in Norwich
Reviewed 27 April 2013

Checked in on a sunday to with an unfriendly receptionist whob at the time also gave wrong information about meal times.Didnt give directions to rooms(thankfully we had been here before unfortunately).Several times over our stay we ordered egg benedict but apparently the kitchen run out of hollandaise sauce(1 morning we ordered this and waited about 15 minutes before we were told there was no sauce).On another occasion i ordered a pint of lager from the bar (which cost me £4.20}and found it to be flat.I told the bar staff about this and was poured another which again was flat.She called the on duty manager who apparently changed the barrel then proceeded to pull another pint(i thought you had to pull a few pints through to clear the old barrel from the lines) and this NEW pint was also flat.Eventually i gave up and asked for my money back.The staff are unfriendly and always look so miserable.If i had a choice of hotels i wouldnt book into this 1 as i feel about as welcome as a dose of mumps.I think the mercure should have a full training session on good customer service and train the staff that they are dealing with the public not the enemy.I also think the meals are well over priced.I have stayed in 5* hotels where the prices have been cheaper with a better quality of service at least

Room Tip: Rooms at the back of the hotel are quieter as you are further than the racing track main street
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
Stuart C, General Manager at Mercure Norwich Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2013

Thank you for your review; I am very sorry that our Food and Beverage team appear to have been having a "bad day at the office" during your stay. I am more used to receiving positive comments regarding our levels of customer service so I will be most interested to discover the team members who were on duty. Thank you once again for your comments, they are much appreciated.

There are newer reviews for Mercure Norwich Hotel

Reviewed 24 April 2013

I was with the same group as your previous correspondent staying for four nights at the Mercure Norwich hotel and agree that the evening meal was very disappointing both for the content and the service. Highlights for me included a starter of ‘chicken liver’ which presented itself as a mush looking like something my dog might have regurgitated and a ‘chicken and mushroom pie’ which turned out to be a bowl of gruel with shreds of chicken and bits of mushroom floating in it topped loosely with a lid of puff pastry accompanied by some very overcooked green beans. A tuna dish arrived as a slab of dry and overcooked fish sitting on some salad leaves without any sauce or dressing. Even soup was served much too salty and when the promised ‘warm bread roll’ accompaniment was requested we were reluctantly presented with two slices of (cold) bread. The young staff serving were clearly untrained and flustered. When we tried to order some wine, they could not tell us what was on offer; even after going away to find out they were little better informed. When we eventually received a bottle, we had to request clean wine glasses as those on the table still bore evidence of the previous users. For a supposedly 4-star hotel this is simply not good enough and I do hope the management will take some action to improve things. To be fair, my room was fine (apart from the fact that I could not use the shower without the bathroom flooding...) and I could not fault the breakfasts, for which both the food and the service (from more mature and presumably regular staff) were good.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends

I have received so many lovely comments from your group that I am at a bit of a loss to answer these two reviews. It would certainly seem that our vegetarian provision was unimaginative and possibly one particular menu may have fallen below standards. In general your group appear to have been very happy and complimentary regarding their stay. I will investigate the food and beverage issues that you raised as our aim is to provide excellent food and service every time. Thank you again for your review.

Reviewed 23 April 2013

I stayed for four nights in this hotel as a member of a group of some forty people. As a group, we were given the table d'hote menu which offered a choice of a meat, fish or vegetarian dish at dinner. The four dishes I received were: 1. pasta with an unexciting tomato sauce; 2. pasta with pesto sauce; 3. risotto with traces of mushroom and leek; 4. pasta with tomato sauce again! Apart from the appalling lack of variety and imagination, what I did receive wasn't even very palatable. The dining room staff seemed very young and untrained. They knew nothing about the wines on the wine list and not everything was available.
The bar was inadequately staffed so there was a huge queue for pre-dinner drinks, and when we took tea on the afternoon we arrived it was not hot and there were no saucers.

Reviewed 18 April 2013

I like Mercure as a brand.
This one provided me with a great nights sleep, lovely breakfast and short journey to work in the morning.
The only reason I have not awarded 5*'s is that the Cottage Pie was not as tender as I would have liked, and after a long day a good dinner is a 'given' for me.
The young lady on reception was extremely helpful in providing me with directions to my office the following morning.
Would I stay again? Yes, without hesitation.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
Stuart C, General Manager at Mercure Norwich Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2013

Thank you very much for your review. I am so pleased that you had a comfortable and enjoyable stay. I am disappointed that you did not enjoy your cottage pie; I very much appreciate you bringing this to my attention. Thank you also for your kind comments about my receptionist. I am delighted that you would stay with us again and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 15 April 2013

After reading recent reviews of this hotel I was a little worred (we had already booked the room!). This trip was our first with our 7 month old and we booked 2 nights in one of the Junior suites and were pleasantly surprised. Whilst the reception staff were efficient they were not very friendly and a little unhelpful. The room was huge, there was a dressing area and a large lounge which led into the bedroom. The room was nicely decorated and the bed was very comfortable, the bedding was some of the best I have experienced. There was also minimal noise from the corridors which is always refreshing. However, the bathroom, whilst clean, was very tired and in need of a refurb.

We had lunch in the bar on arrival which was very good. I was a little disappointed that there was no wine list but whilst prices were a little high, £14.50 for a burger, a glass of wine and a bottle of beer was only a couple of pounds more than at our local.

We used the swimming pool twice and on both occasions it was very clean as were the changing rooms. Towels are supplied so no need to take your own or those from the room.

We found the breakfast staff to be very friendly and food OK.

There is plenty of free parking at the hotel.

The hotel is only a short bus ride away from Norwich, which was a great city, with good shopping, great choice of restaurants and great places to visit. We really enjoyed the Castle, the Cathedral and the Forum.

All in all, we would recommend the hotel but there were a few niggles.

This comment is more for the hotel and if they wish to contact me I can go into more detail but I really, really dislike unecessary comments and there were a couple during the trip. Why can't staff simply say yes rather than make a sarcastic comment then say "but I will do it just this time". Neither time were my requests outrageous (I had booked a cot and it was not provided and I requested fresh water in the room on the second day).

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Stuart C, General Manager at Mercure Norwich Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you would recommend us too. Your detailed review has been really helpful to me. Thank you also for your observation with regards to staff making 'unnecessary comments'. I fully understand your point and agree that good service should always be unqualified and delivered without hesitation; we will happily use this in our training. I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 14 April 2013

Attended an event here on Saturday 13th April. WHAT A DISASTER this was !!
Despite excellent planning by the event organiser, they were let down by The Hotel managment big time.
The bar was inadeqatley stocked, they ran out of some red wines early in the evening, along with sparkling water, ice and some spirits.
They were very under staffed for this occasion, taking them 2 and half hours to serve us a 3 course meal. When the food did arrive it was very average. Not everyone recevied bread rolls, I consider this a basic item to which you should never run out of.
The waiting service was almost non existent, the tables were not cleared of glasses and bottles all night.
Don't think we will be retuning to this hotel anytime soon. The responsiblity must lay entiley with the senior managment.

3  Thank Rodney R
Stuart C, General Manager at Mercure Norwich Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2013

Following an evening when our service levels fell way short of our usual standards we have agreed a positive way forward with the organisers including an apology to guests.

Reviewed 13 April 2013

What an appalling place. Firstly little or no staff for pre dinner drinks. Then to ask for WATER and being prepared to pay for still or sparkling water. YES they had no water, Then to be told they had no WINE LIST. Next to be told they had run out of wine and had been to cash and carry to get more was a joke!! Manager not present absolute appalling service the slowest I have witnessed. 2 hours for a starter and main course. The worst thing about this is the company is still in business

Room Tip: Avoid at all costs
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends

It is fair to say that managerially we failed to achieve our usual high standards of food and service delivery, for which I apologise. On considered reflection I hope the reviewer will be pleased that the organisers of the event and hotel management have agreed on a mature and positive way forward, including an apology to guests.