“Awful service”

Mercure Norwich Hotel
Ranked #24 of 50 Hotels in Norwich
Reviewed 29 August 2013 via mobile

Stayed for 3 nights:
1st night find pubic hair in bath, only half stocked toiletries, ordered room service and got cold hot chocolates and no marshmallows for it as advertised.
2nd night, no loo paper, wait 1 hour for room service, phone reception to find that they'd forgotten and it wasnt handed over at changeover but two half made hot chocolates were sat by coffee machine, apologised and brought up my order, 1&1/2 hours after I ordered it. Fire alarm went off at 3am and room was hot so opened window only to hear noisy ring road traffic.
3rd night, I order exactly same order as night before at same time and get cold hot chocolate again, no spoon, just mostly cream, no marshmallows and no tea spoon, no napkin and no spoon or cutlery for my food/dessert order. I waited half an hour and phoned reception and must of got same chap as he said it sounded like dejavu as we'd had same conversation the night before, he said he would chase it up but unfortunately I got nothing like what I'd asked for, cheeky to charge £3 for delivery. I did have air con in this room I had on 3rd night but it stunk of vinegar. The entire hotel is a bit dated and needs updating, the staff have no direction and continually have issues with the computer system, perhaps not trained properly. I also stood behind a couple and their daughter who were arguing that they'd paid in full on a website through a deal and the girl kept saying they had only paid a deposit until it boiled over and another member of staff pointed out the customers had actually paid in full.

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank SmartDamo
Stuart C, General Manager at Mercure Norwich Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am saddened that we failed you on so many service issues during your recent stay. I will of course ensure that your feedback is relayed to my Heads of Department so that further training can be given to our operations teams. Your constructive feedback has been really helpful and I do hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back in the future so that we can show you our usual high levels of customer service.

Reviewed 25 August 2013 via mobile

Stayed bank holiday weekend with my husband and his parents .. His dad is in a wheelchair and we must of rang 100 hotels before we found this one ... Gemma on reception ( who needs a medal) absolutely went above and beyond the call of duty to accommodate all his needs when I booked over phone ...
The hotel was clean fresh and extremely wheelchair friendly..
We didn't eat here because we were out till late and left early.
Only complaint .. When we checked out (not gemma) they tried to charge us £9 for wifi even tho we choose the £0.00 option .. And they also tried to charge us for a film we weren't in the hotel to have ordered ... But they took them off the bill without me glaring too badly at her ..
I thought it was a bit expensive at £99 per room .. But it was bank holiday .. But I was so pleased to find wheelchair access available I gladly paid it ..
Overall ... Very pleased ... Would stay here again

• Stayed: August 2013
Stuart C, General Manager at Mercure Norwich Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2013

Thank you so much for your review. I am so pleased that you had an enjoyable stay and that our adapted room suited your father in law. Thank you also for your kind comments about our receptionist Gemma. I am sorry for any mix up with charges to your room, I am glad it was rectified for you. I am delighted that you would stay with us again.

Reviewed 20 August 2013

My wife and I stayed for 2 nights. There was some initial confusion about our booking when we arrived however this was resolved and we were each given a complimentary drink at the bar while the staff sorted out our reservation. We had to change rooms between our first and second nights and this was dealt with by the staff perfectly moving our baggage for us and swapping our key-cards over. We could not fault the staff, especially Gemma who was on the front desk, who was extremely helpful and kind. The hotel is extremely clean and well presented. We ate in the restaurant for breakfast and one evening meal as well as a 'pizza/movie' night where we had food delivered to the room. The food was good, especially the breakfast.

My wife was 8 months pregnant and so we asked for a couple of extra pillows. These were brought up to the room for us.

We also swam in the swimming pool which is a good size and was easily accessible and clean.

Overall, we had an extremely enjoyable stay. I don't usually write reviews on tripadvisor, however due to the extremely helpful staff and in particular, Gemma, I felt it necessary to say thank you.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Stuart C, General Manager at Mercure Norwich Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2013

Thank you so much for your kind review, I am delighted that my team resolved the booking situation quickly and that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you also for your comments about Gemma and the rest of the team, I will pass your lovely feedback on to them. Please accept my best wishes for your 'new arrival' and I hope you will stay with us again next time you are in Norwich.

Reviewed 12 August 2013

My wife booked the hotel for a two night stay, as we were going to a family wedding held in the hotels banqueting suites. The staff were on the whole very good, cheerful and helpful.
As part of the package we booked an evening meal for the Friday night, the food was at best mediocre, I had to send my main course back as it was inedible, a replacement meal was offered but declined. Contrastingly the food at the wedding was really good. Beverages in the banqueting suite were pretty dire, the beer and some of the wines were off and the soft drinks served from the python were almost water.
It’s the staff which make or break a hotel and in this establishment they did really well, in spite of obvious cost cutting and lack of investment

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Stuart C, General Manager at Mercure Norwich Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2013

Thank you for your kind words about my staff, I am delighted that you found them cheerful and helpful. I am also pleased that you enjoyed your meal at the wedding. I was however saddened to read about your disappointing evening meal experience; please allow me to express my sincere apologies. At Mercure we strive to provide a superior experience for all of our guests and your feedback has been very helpful. Thank you for taking the time to write this review and I do hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back on your next visit to Norwich.

Reviewed 11 August 2013

Stayed in a "privilege room" which wan't anything more than I would expect from a standard room, the only extra thing was the Nespresso machine; more of a gimmick than anything else! Bar staff were missing in the evening and had to go to reception to get service. The full english was taken in the mock tudor (naff styled) restaurant, and although the variety of items was okay, the hot plate only managed to keep things luke warm, just like the orange juice! As for the meagre selection of fresh fruit.. well the flies put me off that! The plus points; the bed was comfy and the room had air conditioning. I won't be revisiting as there are much better 4 star rated hotels in the Norwich area, although they don't have the view of an industrial estate!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Parcelie

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. I am however saddened that you were so disappointed with your stay with us. I am especially disappointed by your comments about our new privilege rooms as we have had many positive comments from other guests about them (I am pleased however, that you found the bed comfortable). I am very sorry that your stay was not the pleasant one I would have wished for you and I do hope that you will give us another try in the future.

Reviewed 3 August 2013

It's July and my family would like to stay in a hotel with a pool for a night as the children adore swimming. As we planned to be in Norwich, we chose the Mercure hotel in Norwich for our night away.

The room itself was good: everything we needed, including two double beds, so all four of us got a good night's sleep. The air conditioning new addition - was quiet and efficient. The bathroom was spotless and worked well. It seems as though the hotel had been built in the 1970's or thereabouts: the corridors were rather spartan but perfectly clean. The hotel restaurant was a slightly kitsch place for my taste, but offered a decent children's menu. The food itself has some variety and we all had a good - if slightly pricey - meal.

The focus of the visit was the pool and here it was a little disappointing. The pool itself is nice, but isn't terribly big. It was nice for the children (8 and 6) to splash about it, but you'd struggle to do any proper exercise swimming in it. Also if you had several families it could feel a bit crowded. Saying that there was a nice space for toddlers to splash about that makes it good for younger families.

What lets this hotel down is the location. There is very little near the hotel and it is a short drive into Norwich itself. If you have a car and aren't interested in the city centre this is not an issue.

Overall this would be a good hotel for a family who needed accommodation in the area (perhaps going to a wedding) and could use the pool to help children unwind. For a family visit to Norwich itself there may be better options.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Stuart C, General Manager at Mercure Norwich Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your overall stay with us and your room was to your liking. I am also pleased that you enjoyed your meal in our restaurant. The location of our hotel is frequently commented on. Although the surrounding area is not picturesque, the hotel is situated on the main outer ring road of Norwich which gives easy access to the Norfolk Broads, our beautiful coastline and other nearby attractions. The city centre itself is just a short drive away, where there is always plenty of activity. The busses run from just across the road from the hotel every 20 minutes, so access is very easy. Thank you again for your helpful feedback and I do hope that you will stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed 1 August 2013

I stayed here for a week whilst on a course w/c 22 July 2013, unfortunately the hottest week of the year. I had a small, south facing room with a huge window (which only partially opened) and...a fan! With outdoor daytime temperatures around 30c and night time temperatures around 23c, it was like living in an oven and consequently I only used the room when I absolutely had to. Just entering the corridor was like a wall of heat! Sadly the resultant lack of sleep adversely affected my progress on the training course which was held nearby.

I also soon discovered that the price of food and drink was outrageous. A large glass of red wine for £7.40 - pricier than most places in central London - and breakfast was a hefty £13.95. The dinner menu was similarly priced for average food.

The staff were in the main pleasant - no help offered for myself or elderly residents to carry bags upstairs though. One barmaid was quite rude when I asked for my coffee to be brought outside. Talking of outside, there is a very nice garden area but not open to guests as a rule as it's accessed through a function room. Shame.

So beware the claims of air con on the hotel website as it is not in every room! Expect to pay through the nose for food and drink and for the service to be average. Also no wifi for the whole week too.

Overall, even though my accommodation was paid for by my company, I would rather pay for myself and find a better hotel next time.

Room Tip: Ask for one with air con if in summer time.