“Good for the price but not excellent”

Mercure Norwich Hotel
Ranked #24 of 50 Hotels in Norwich
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Good for the price but not excellent”
Reviewed 6 September 2013

Good for the price but not excellent, in other words this Mercure is at the budget end of the market but the pricing is a little high when compared to other chains. The location next to the ring road and on an industrial park is similar to what you might expect of a Campanile.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Stuart C, General Manager at Mercure Norwich Hotel, responded to this review, 12 September 2013
Thank you for your review. Mercure we strive to provide a superior experience for all of our guests and I am sorry that you did not find your stay 'excellent' Thank you again for your time and I do hope you will consider giving us another try in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
  • Polish first
Holt, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 September 2013 via mobile

States here for a single night on the 30th August, we had a block booking of rooms for our party, when we walked through the door we were welcomed with a friendly smile from behind the desk and also the general manager had a chat with us! After we caused much confusion for the lady checking us in, we decided to go to the bar and have a few drinks and a bite to eat, appart from the good being a little expensive for what was provided it was still really tasty! ( even at midnight!)
The rooms were comfortable and there is a little bit of road noise but nothing too major (the hotel is next to a main road) the breakfast is buffet style, and again welcomed as we entered the dining area, and the staff provided us with lots of coffee as we had a wedding to go to!
Overall this was a really enjoyable stay and would definately be my number one if I was to stay in the area again!

• Stayed August 2013
Stuart C, General Manager at Mercure Norwich Hotel, responded to this review, 6 September 2013
Thank you for your kind review. I am delighted that you and your party enjoyed your stay with us. Here at Mercure we strive to provide a superior service experience for all of our guests and I am so pleased that my team looked after you well. We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the near future.
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 August 2013 via mobile

Stayed for 3 nights:
1st night find pubic hair in bath, only half stocked toiletries, ordered room service and got cold hot chocolates and no marshmallows for it as advertised.
2nd night, no loo paper, wait 1 hour for room service, phone reception to find that they'd forgotten and it wasnt handed over at changeover but two half made hot chocolates were sat by coffee machine, apologised and brought up my order, 1&1/2 hours after I ordered it. Fire alarm went off at 3am and room was hot so opened window only to hear noisy ring road traffic.
3rd night, I order exactly same order as night before at same time and get cold hot chocolate again, no spoon, just mostly cream, no marshmallows and no tea spoon, no napkin and no spoon or cutlery for my food/dessert order. I waited half an hour and phoned reception and must of got same chap as he said it sounded like dejavu as we'd had same conversation the night before, he said he would chase it up but unfortunately I got nothing like what I'd asked for, cheeky to charge £3 for delivery. I did have air con in this room I had on 3rd night but it stunk of vinegar. The entire hotel is a bit dated and needs updating, the staff have no direction and continually have issues with the computer system, perhaps not trained properly. I also stood behind a couple and their daughter who were arguing that they'd paid in full on a website through a deal and the girl kept saying they had only paid a deposit until it boiled over and another member of staff pointed out the customers had actually paid in full.

2 Thank SmartDamo
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am saddened that we failed you on so many service issues during your recent stay. I will of course ensure that your feedback is relayed to my Heads of Department so that further training can be given to our operations teams. Your constructive feedback has been really helpful and I do hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back in the future so that we can show you our usual high levels of customer service.

Travellers are raving about these Norwich hotels

Reviewed 25 August 2013 via mobile

Stayed bank holiday weekend with my husband and his parents .. His dad is in a wheelchair and we must of rang 100 hotels before we found this one ... Gemma on reception ( who needs a medal) absolutely went above and beyond the call of duty to accommodate all his needs when I booked over phone ...
The hotel was clean fresh and extremely wheelchair friendly..
We didn't eat here because we were out till late and left early.
Only complaint .. When we checked out (not gemma) they tried to charge us £9 for wifi even tho we choose the £0.00 option .. And they also tried to charge us for a film we weren't in the hotel to have ordered ... But they took them off the bill without me glaring too badly at her ..
I thought it was a bit expensive at £99 per room .. But it was bank holiday .. But I was so pleased to find wheelchair access available I gladly paid it ..
Overall ... Very pleased ... Would stay here again

• Stayed August 2013
Stuart C, General Manager at Mercure Norwich Hotel, responded to this review, 27 August 2013
Thank you so much for your review. I am so pleased that you had an enjoyable stay and that our adapted room suited your father in law. Thank you also for your kind comments about our receptionist Gemma. I am sorry for any mix up with charges to your room, I am glad it was rectified for you. I am delighted that you would stay with us again.
Colchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 August 2013

My wife and I stayed for 2 nights. There was some initial confusion about our booking when we arrived however this was resolved and we were each given a complimentary drink at the bar while the staff sorted out our reservation. We had to change rooms between our first and second nights and this was dealt with by the staff perfectly moving our baggage for us and swapping our key-cards over. We could not fault the staff, especially Gemma who was on the front desk, who was extremely helpful and kind. The hotel is extremely clean and well presented. We ate in the restaurant for breakfast and one evening meal as well as a 'pizza/movie' night where we had food delivered to the room. The food was good, especially the breakfast.

My wife was 8 months pregnant and so we asked for a couple of extra pillows. These were brought up to the room for us.

We also swam in the swimming pool which is a good size and was easily accessible and clean.

Overall, we had an extremely enjoyable stay. I don't usually write reviews on tripadvisor, however due to the extremely helpful staff and in particular, Gemma, I felt it necessary to say thank you.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Stuart C, General Manager at Mercure Norwich Hotel, responded to this review, 21 August 2013
Thank you so much for your kind review, I am delighted that my team resolved the booking situation quickly and that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you also for your comments about Gemma and the rest of the team, I will pass your lovely feedback on to them. Please accept my best wishes for your 'new arrival' and I hope you will stay with us again next time you are in Norwich.
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 August 2013

My wife booked the hotel for a two night stay, as we were going to a family wedding held in the hotels banqueting suites. The staff were on the whole very good, cheerful and helpful.
As part of the package we booked an evening meal for the Friday night, the food was at best mediocre, I had to send my main course back as it was inedible, a replacement meal was offered but declined. Contrastingly the food at the wedding was really good. Beverages in the banqueting suite were pretty dire, the beer and some of the wines were off and the soft drinks served from the python were almost water.
It’s the staff which make or break a hotel and in this establishment they did really well, in spite of obvious cost cutting and lack of investment

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Stuart C, General Manager at Mercure Norwich Hotel, responded to this review, 13 August 2013
Thank you for your kind words about my staff, I am delighted that you found them cheerful and helpful. I am also pleased that you enjoyed your meal at the wedding. I was however saddened to read about your disappointing evening meal experience; please allow me to express my sincere apologies. At Mercure we strive to provide a superior experience for all of our guests and your feedback has been very helpful. Thank you for taking the time to write this review and I do hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back on your next visit to Norwich.