“Pleasant enough”

Mercure Norwich Hotel
Ranked #24 of 50 Hotels in Norwich
Reviewed 28 December 2013

The hotel was easy to find and well located. I stayed as part of a group and I was delighted to find(maybe because I had been a very late booker?) that I had been given a family suite which was very comfortable indeed for a solo traveller!
The staff were all friendly and helpful, but this was let down by there being so few of them. There were several pre-booked Christmas break groups staying but to get a drink at either of the bars before dinner meant a very long wait as there was never more than one person(if that) behind the bar ready to serve. This also applied to the dinner service. The mainly young waiting staff were were working well, but it took a very long time for orders to be taken and then finally served. The food was OK and usually hot, but the quality of the ingredients let it down somewhat, in my opinion.
What really was bad apart from the first night, who went down very well and were actually entertaining,was the Live entertainment. We had the same act twice, and the performers completely failed to judge the level and mood of the audience- both times ! The artists simply churned out the same old patronising banter, and boring musical repertoire. Surely they should have noticed the audience getting up and leaving rather than take to the dance floor? Apparently not.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front of the hotel fairly noisy even with windows closed.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Stuart C, General Manager at Mercure Norwich Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2014

Happy New Year to you! Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay with us. I was very disappointed to read that some aspects of your experience did not meet your expectations. Please accept my sincere apologies. Your helpful feedback has been very much appreciated and I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 20 December 2013

My girlfriend and I have stayed at the Mecure here several times, and every time has been lovely, in particular the breakfast in the morning! The staff have always been very helpful and friendly. Would highly recommend to anyone.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I am so pleased that you have enjoyed another short break with us. I am delighted that you would recommend us and we look forward to welcoming you and your girlfriend back in the future.

Reviewed 4 December 2013

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
1  Thank Eric H
Stuart C, General Manager at Mercure Norwich Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2013

Reviewed 1 December 2013

Lovely stay; the hotel is comfortable, welcoming & well maintained, the décor pleasing in pastel & warm colours, the staff friendly.

Sadly, for me , this weekend, what let the hotel down is at dinner; The dining room & kitchen did not have co-ordination. The handful of staff did their utmost to serve guests from two coaches together with private patrons in another dining room & orders from the bar all at the same time. This resulted in long waiting time between courses. This could have been avoided with better management skills.

The leisure facilities are excellent.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you for your review, your kind comments about the hotel, staff and decor are very much appreciated. I am sorry that the service in the restaurant was slow; I appreciate you bringing this to my attention. I will of course meet with my heads of department to prevent a future occurrence. Thank you again and we hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 28 November 2013

Confused as to some of the negative reviews of this hotel, myself and friends have stayed here on numerous occasions and always enjoy ourselves.
Hotel is only a short taxi/bus ride from city centre so is ideal if visiting Norwich city.
Very comfortable room, was at front of building but couldn't hear road noise.
Dinner and breakfast were both delicious with a wide range of options to choose from. My only disappointment is that I didn't have room for dessert!
Didn't use the pool/spa this time, but have on previous visits and it is always very relaxing!
Will be back in the near future when doing some serious Christmas shopping! (Norwich has a lovely Christmas market in front of Chapelfield shopping centre around this time of year, well worth a visit).
Thank you to the hotel and lovely staff for another fantastic stay.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you so much for your extremely kind review. I am delighted that you and your friends repeatedly stay with us and have a lovely time. Your kind comments about the rooms, staff, dinner and our leisure club are very much appreciated and we look forward to welcoming you all back for your Christmas shopping trip!

Reviewed 21 November 2013

Stayed as a family in 3 Rooms for 2 nights travelling for a family funeral. Following an efficient and welcoming check in we arrived to find our rooms (3 Room Types, Twin Double and Family) all confortable and well appointed.Great Bar Service followed by a lovely Dinner with slick service in the in the Restaurant. ( Battered Haddock hit the Spot ! ) Breakfast was a buffet with included a good range of nicely cooked traditional english items.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Stuart C, General Manager at Mercure Norwich Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2013

Thank you for your review. Your kind words are very much appreciated and I am delighted that you enjoyed all of our facilities. I will pass your comments on to my team, I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to improve the quality of our services. Thank you again and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 15 November 2013

After reading so many negative reviews we were a bit apprehensive but were pleasantly surprised, we arrived as part of a group but booking in was easy, our room was ideal for what we wanted,clean and comfortable and plenty of hot water. Breakfast was superb with a good choice and our evening meals were also very good. We would stay again if in the area.

Room Tip: we had room 17 on the ground floor
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Stuart C, General Manager at Mercure Norwich Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post a review, I am delighted that you had a pleasant stay with us. Your kind comments about your bedroom, breakfast and dinner are very much appreciated. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Norwich.