“Charity Dinner”

Mercure Norwich Hotel
Ranked #24 of 50 Hotels in Norwich
Reviewed 30 June 2014

This dinner was to raise money for a local charity. It was a very average bland meal, we were effectively ripped off with a bottle of very ordinary white wine costing £25 (actual cost in the region of £5) The male toilets were not clean, smelt badly and generally looked very tired. A round of 4 drinks namely a G&T, 2 x JDs and coke and a glass of white wine cost £22.50.
The experience of being charged excessive prices for very average wine and food in a building with a smelly toilet was one the I shall not repeat, nor recommend to colleagues or friends.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Stuart C, General Manager at Mercure Norwich Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

Apologies to the Red Baron regarding our "blocked toilet issue," that night. Never a great advert for a hotel I agree. Problem now remedied I can assure you. Our bar prices are typical for a four star hotel in the city and I hope you will agree that the service levels that night reflected the prices. I am sorry we failed to WOW you that night but I understand the event was a great success.

There are newer reviews for Mercure Norwich Hotel

Reviewed 25 June 2014

Lasts toilet unclean .while eating our evening meal .waiting for Anna to come on .it was so hot uncomfortable. had to get out for air .music was great .worth all the hiccups.everything clean and tidy but lady toilets Wasent nice sick everywhere

• Stayed: May 2014
Stuart C, General Manager at Mercure Norwich Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write your review; I am pleased that you enjoyed the Abba Tribute. I am sorry that someone had been sick in the ladies toilets, had we been aware of this we would have cleaned it up immediately. Unfortunately when alcohol is involved this does sometimes happen. My apologies once again.

Reviewed 24 June 2014

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Reviewed 18 June 2014 via mobile

i had a wedding at the mercure hotel and it was terriable the staff were rude on arrival the ceremony itself was nice but when it came to the sit down meal and reception it was bad the knives and forks were dirty and bent the pork was all fatty and people with dietry requirements didnt get wht asked for the whole thing was rushed the buffett the sandwiches were all dry the buffett was taken away with out asking and we still had guests arriving who didnt get anything to eat the staff were to busy on there phones we thn stayed again and tht was worse there eas banging of doors all nite while i was trying to get my baby to sleep the tv kept going off housekeeping knocked on our door at 10.30 to try and do our room even no we werent due to leave till 12 its was a awful experience but thanxs to a lovely housekeeping lady called jodie who gave the kids biscuits cause the restrant was to expensive

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Stuart C, General Manager at Mercure Norwich Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Further to our conversation this morning, I am extremely disappointed to read your review especially as we had agreed a course of remedial action at our meeting two weeks ago.

Reviewed 16 June 2014

I stayed here with a large group Friday 30 May - Sun 1 June. I paid a supplement to upgrade to a Prestige room, well worth it for the huge bed, better coffee and dressing gown. Air conditioning in room worked. I was impressed by the food at breakfast, also the fact that we had a dinner late on Friday evening and all the choices were good. Pool and jacuzzi were fine as well.

Room Tip: Prestige Room are also quieter, being away from the busy road.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for your kind review. I am so pleased you enjoyed the 'little extras' in your upgraded room. Thank you also for your kind comments about breakfast, dinner and our leisure club. I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again in the future.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

FOOD AWFUL COMPLETE WASTE OF £26.00!!!!!!!

We booked a party of 16 2 tables of 8 for the latest ABBA tribute night. It really was so unprofessional and Food was AWFUL and to top it off we weren't even sitting together!.

When booking this we were told that there would be a choice of 3 starters 3 main and 3 desserts and that the staff would come round introduce themselves and ask if anyone on the table had any dietry requrements this DID NOT HAPPEN! I had 3 people in my party with allergies to the food choices served which I had made Mecure aware of prior to this night just as well I did!

The way the food was served was really bad. The waitresses and waiters were walking around with hot soup in their arms trying to find people who wanted soup. The (small) prawn cocktail was delivered the same way.
The main meal came out I had pre-ordered Chicken Breast swimming in Gravy as I cant eat Pork steaks and the chicken was so DRY it was wrinkled on the outside I had to turn it upsidedown to attempt to try and eat it the Potatoes were soggy and the veg was cold as were the plates they were brought out on, My friends had nearly finished their meals by the time mine came out

The choice of 1 Chocolate dessert if you did not like chocolate desserts tough I guess! as no communication from our table staff.

Our group of 16 were split between a big divide in the room by the sliding doors which sectioned the function room from the Bar Area so we could not chat to the others that had joined us and considering this was a night out for someones 50th Birthday this was VERY BAD!
Who would section a party of 16 onto 2 tables like that on a night like this. there were also Tables of 2 dotted around the room which could have been put together on a round table and made 1 big tabel for 16 of us!

Drinks were SERIOUSLY OVER PRICED £4.30 for a Vodka & Lemonade / £23 for a bottle of Wine OMG!!!! you are seriously not the RITZ

Thankfully the ABBA tribute group were brilliant they had ABBA off to a tee.

I will NEVER be going back to Mecure Hotel for ANY future Tributes or Meals or ANYTHING!!!!!

RUBISH RUBISH RUBISH WHAT A WASTE OF £26.00

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Stuart C, General Manager at Mercure Norwich Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2014

Thank you for bringing your concerns to my attention; your feedback has been very helpful. We have today contacted the lead organiser of your party and she will be in touch with you shortly. Thank you again for your time and please accept my sincere apologies.

Reviewed 8 June 2014

I booked a party of 14 for the latest ABBA tribute night. It really was a shambles and not professional at all.

The way the food was served was appalling. The waitresses and waiters were walking around with hot soup in their arms trying to find people who wanted soup. The prawn cocktail was delivered the same way. Before I go on any further when I booked the evening I wrote down allergies I have to food as I get severe reactions when I eat; tomato, vinegar, mushrooms, banana and strawberries. In the event the kitchen never received my list so I had prawns on a bed of lettuce. After a gap the main meal came out firstly the pork that came in drips and drabs so some of the table were eating before the rest had received their meal. I was informed the meat was cool and tasteless the vegetables were cold. Some ladies had turkey they said it was thin and dry. The vegetarians had roasted pepper and cuscus. I had goats’ cheese tart that had to be specially made due to my allergies. The lettuce was boring the potatoes left a lot to be desired. It arrived when everybody else had finished their meal this made me feel awkward. The dessert arrived a long time after the main had been finished. The waiting staffs were all very professional and friendly we could not fault them.

One of my party had some gravy spilt over her handbag as the waitress could not negotiate freely between the tables. The seating area was very tight a little more room would have been nicer for all.

We asked for jugs of water for the table to be told the jugs had all been broken by the last party! Then, out of nowhere, jugs of water arrived.

Teas and coffee arrived at the end of the meal. Sadly the milk had been on the table to our knowledge since 19.00 and by the time the drinks arrived the milk had curdled and had to ask for more.

Thankfully the ABBA tribute group were brilliant they had ABBA off to a tee.

I will go to the Holiday Inn for my next tribute night as they have everything done with precision.