“Horrible”

Ranked #24 of 50 Hotels in Norwich
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Horrible”
Reviewed 27 July 2014

I was put in this hotel by my company as the Sprowston manor wad full and all I can is its awful.
I arrived in the evening and the room is like an oven, windown opens about 5 inches and its very uncomfortable. I have never had such a bad night like in this hotel. Housekeeping staff trying to get in my room even though the do not disturb on the door.

Overall very dissapointing, very hot and sticky couldnt wait to get out of it.

Would not recommend at all, they need to make huge improvements, to start they need to install aircon as this was disgusting to stay in a room that hot.

Room Tip: Unless it has aircon dont bother, rooms are small and old fashioned.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Stuart C, General Manager at Mercure Norwich Hotel, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
I am so sorry that you were visiting us on the hottest day of the year. 75% of our rooms are air-conditioned which probably doesn't make you feel much better so I apologise that you missed out. The competitor you mentioned does not have air-conditioned rooms and suffers similar issues in the heat of Summer.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
  • Polish first
Devonport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Our second visit to this Hotel. Plenty of parking. Staff again, very helpful and most pleasant. Lovely staff in the dining room. Breakfast and dinner great value for money.Luckily, this visit we had a room with air-con, which was brilliant. Next time we visit the area of Norwich without hesitation we will book in at this hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Mercure Hotels

Thank you for your most kind review especially your comments regarding my team here. There may always be facilities we wish we had or could improve on but our service levels are completely within our own control. Thank you once again for taking the time to post positive comments they are much appreciated.
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 July 2014

On checking in to the Mercure we were given a suite, so a good start.
Over the few days that we stayed we noted that the service was mediocre and definitely not what I would expect from a, not cheap, hotel.
The breakfasts were ok, but only just, also not as advertised with a definite lack of choice and poor service.
The overall appearance was a little shoddy considering the rating.
Most of my reviews have been on holidy hotels out of UK but having stayed in hotels all over the world for business then I would not rate this one very highly.

Room Tip: Make sure you get air conditioning as not all rooms have this
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for your review, it sounds like we just fell short of your expectations for which I apologise. Thank you for praising the room you were allocated, it was indeed one of our Superior bedrooms. Our staff receive a lot of praise from guests but it will do them no harm to learn that we need to try a little harder to delight every guest on every occasion. Star ratings are judged on facilities and service levels so authorities better qualified than me have confirmed our four star rating for several years now.
Ghent, Belgium
Reviewed 25 July 2014

In general I enjoyed my stay, but there were some aspects that I was not very happy about.

FYI: I was in room 23.

- The room was clean, the bed was very comfortable and the extra’s as soaps, coffee, full tv were good, and you have the extra's as a swimming pool, fitness, ...
- Also the bathroom was clean, but to my opinion not the bathtub and the shower. They would need some good cleaning.
- I had the privilege room that stated superfast internet, what I got was superslow internet.

Main complaints are to the restaurant, in regards to the food. Location and interior is nice, it’s cozy, so remarks about that, keep that.
Lunch in the bar:
I took the sandwiches with the chicken and bacon. It also stated that it had rocket salad and sundried tomatoes. They were not on my plate…
Diner in the restaurant:
I had the chicken chili skewers as a starter. Now, this is very easy to spice up, add some good herbs on the chicken, …. What I received was one piece of chicken on a stick, without anything else, not spiced, no vegetable, ....
Second, I wanted to take a burger, because the burgers of the guys next to my table were looking good, so I decided to take the assortment of 3 small different burgers to have a taste of everything.
What I received were not by far smaller versions of the 3 large burgers. I received 2 identical burgers: bread meat and a lot of mayo, without lettuce or tomato or anything else. The other burger was just the same, bread meat and mayo and a piece of bacon. That was not what was stated on the menu.

I would stay in the hotel another time, but would not have lunch in the restaurant.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank T0urist_il_
Thank you for your review, I appreciate the detail contained within it. I have shared the positives with my team, especially your kind comments on cleanliness and our leisure club. I apologise that we dropped our standards on the new menu because we have been receiving some great comments on it. I will ensure that standards are re-trained. Your comments are much appreciated thank you.
Swindon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 July 2014

I stayed for 3 nights as needed to be near a client but was also looking for someone with a Gym and Pool.

The staff are friendly and the rooms appear generally well equipped however, the 'Free Wifi' is virtually non existent so I spent time each day sat in the McDonalds Carpark (opposite) utilising theirs. Unfortunately, the TV system also appears to work via the internet so there is a real limit in channels available and anything other than the standard 5 are very intermittent.

I ate in the Bar on the first night of my stay and had the 'Half roast chicken, rosemary & sea salt rub, spicy slaw, skinny fries'. This was very disappointing and there was no seasoning at all on any of the food let alone those described on the Menu so it was all extremely bland and dull and at nearly £14 was not good value.

The final disappointment was that on the 3 day I returned to see that the cleaners had not done a sufficient job on the bathroom but after a long day I decided to cross the road and grab some food before an early night.

I always like to look for the positives so I will add that the pool and gym area, although not huge, are well looked after and a nice bonus. The staff are friendly but I think that the dated systems and approach of the hotel make their life hard work. Finally, there was a nice atmosphere in the bar with friendly bar staff sharing respectful banter with some regulars as well as looking after fellow visitors.

Room Tip: Ensure that you have all you need when working and are not relient on WiFi to download or send anyth...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Stuart C, General Manager at Mercure Norwich Hotel, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
Thank you so much for your review which has been most useful. The half roast chicken has been easily the most popular dish on our new menu but its success relies enormously on generous seasoning so I am very disappointed we failed you that nightm my apologies. Our house keeping team are usually close to faultless but I will certainly investigate your own issue. I am delighted to announce that BT have finally fixed our WIFI issue which is now free and fast. I am particularly grateful for the comments you made regarding my team who are often mentioned for their friendly approach to guests. Again my grateful thanks to you.

Travellers are raving about these Norwich hotels

Leicester, England
Reviewed 22 July 2014

We stayed here for two nights and as part of the package had a two course dinner on the first night. What we experienced was a very mixed picture some good points but a lot of bad.
First the good, the room was clean and had a good air conditioning, was quiet and had a comfortable bed although the toiletries provided were very basic. The staff were all very helpful and cheerful, but very few of them, only one to take orders in the restaurant and also serve all the meals and clear up, they also seemed very young and lacking experience.
The leisure facilities while small were good.
Now to the bad, it clearly states high speed wifi throughout the hotel, certainly not, a lot of the time it wasn't working at all and even when it did was so slow that you couldn't download even basic websites.
The worst part was the food, as I said earlier we had a two course meal as part of the deal. The starters were just about acceptable but the mains , priced between £12 and £15 were very poor. I had a Thai Green king prawn curry, the prawns were few in number and in terms of size were very small, it was accompanied by rice and prawn crackers which were covered in grease. My wife had the only vegetarian dish on the menu, roasted butternut squash served with egg fresh linguine. The pasta was certainly not linguine was more like thin spaghetti and covered in grease. The butternut squash was minimal in quantity and the whole thing was tasteless.
The breakfast the next day was not much better.
The following night we went to the weather spoons pub where for just over £6 we had far nicer meals.
We would stay the hotel again but would certainly not eat there.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank awizzbang
Thank you for your review and the kind comments you made regarding the rooms and staff here. We have had some great comments recently regarding our new menu but there were quite clearly some mistakes made regarding your own meals for which I apologise. You will be pleased to learn that our WIFI issue has now been fixed by BT so onward and upward; and it's still free! Thank again for your feedback.