“Pleasant place”

Ranked #113 of 823 Restaurants in Norwich
Price range: US$17 - US$64
Cuisines: British, European
Good for: Groups, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Northumberland
“Pleasant place”
Reviewed 24 August 2014 via mobile

Had a really pleasant evening here on a recent visit to Norfolk. Staff were very attentive and friendly and the food was of a good standard. The dessert I had was very good indeed. Worth a visit if you are in the neighbourhood.

“A real treat”
Reviewed 18 August 2014 via mobile

Wow! Tucked away in newton flotman is this great little treasure. Didn't have the taster menu ordered a la carte. Truly great tasting food - the chef obviously has ambitions and in my opinion they are well founded. Scallops to start - perhaps on the smaller side but very fresh with a little crab and lime.
Main again succulent belly pork really crispy/crunchy skin. Melt in mouth cheek. Couldn't fault it. Desert - pane-cotta- little accompaniments - mine hadn't set properly but my partners was perfect. If in the locality give it a go you won't be let down.

Thank percyrd1 .
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Its Nice, pricey, and not much of it.”
Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

Have been here a few times before. Debs more often as she is size 8 and the small portions suit her better.
Don't get me wrong the food is lovely and very tasty and being well presented. However I do believe that when your main course comes you see more food than plate. I must admit first time I thought they had brought me a starter.
Anyway we decided on trying the pizza night this Sunday so we walked down and it wasn't too bad. Pizza £8 we arrived at 7.30 and they were sold out of all sides so only pizza available, tables were all pretty full but we did find one.
Tab was opened and the four of us had pizza each, a drink and dessert.
I agree with another review that drink prices are very steep £4.60 for a bacardi and coke.
£70 for 4 pizzas and 4 small desserts and 5 drinks.
All in all pizza is just ok. Dessert typical pub cheesecake etc and drinks over priced. Nice evening, value for money not really.
Debs loves this place but leaves this for special occasions.

Suffolk
“Top class!”
Reviewed 7 August 2014

Visited last Sunday at lunchtime, A warm welcome, excellent food, nice people, nice place, good service - was very relaxing and comfortable. Going back to try the pizza!

• Visited August 2014
“Tuesday evening”
Reviewed 6 August 2014

I have eaten at a variety of places from the Fat Duck to all you can eat places so I think I am pretty well rounded with all kinds of food and cooking expectations,.

First impressions: Nice place. Clean, pleasant, airy, lovely garden, has a pizza stove which I may go down on Sunday to try out

The service: As expected at a "gastro" pub and that is where I put this. There was a new girl who had been working for 2 weeks, lacked the knowledge as expected but all the same pleasant etc...

Drinks menu: Its wine and spirit place by all accounts and highly priced at that. There is beer - as expected the A typical Italian/Spanish variety - in this case Peroni and a dread to think how much they charge for that. The other option was local Woodfordes Once Bittern, I am a big fan so ordered a pint - £3.90...laughably expensive,. You would think they shipped it from China at those prices. To make matters worse towards the end of my pint stuff what floating in it. At £3.90 I expect it clean. I went bad and did not make a fuss, the bar maid was completely understanding (I have worked in a bar myself, it does happen - pipes is the normal culprit but it can just be the beer). I was offered my next drink free but I refused it as free and gave the change in my pocket which happened to be around £3. all very pleasantly dealt with.

The second drink also had floaters at the bottom. I didn't bother saying anything else.

The Food menu: Looks good, pricey for its location - I think its trying a bit too hard if I am being honest.

I ordered the hay baked lamb rump with some cos mustard leafs, garlic courgette and some harricott beans. I was not asked how I wanted the lamb - which I would expect at a place trying to achieve the kind of standard they are looking for. So I expected a it would come pinkish. Just past medium rare is the norm I believe for those who don't specify.

I was first presented with an amuse bouche, a small cup of broccoli and cheese soup - nice touch and nice, nothing amazing but had decent flavour. I was offered a choice of bread after the amuse bouche - not sure that was right (see new girl comment) but there were several choices and I opted for sweet onion and rosemary and i have to say it was as nice a bread roll as I can remember - which isn't many but it was still nice - no butter though...got a knife though....(see new girl comment)

The lamb arrived. Presentation was good. The lamb needed resting a bit more (juices and bloody bits on the plate) - it wasn't overly bad but detracted from a nice looking plate of food.

The lamb was unfortunately horrendously over cooked - brown. I was not impressed by that, certainly not for £19 worth of meal and the plate does not warrant that price tag in my opinion. Some of the beans were a little hard as well and tasteless - needed a good whack of pepper.

The best part of the meal were the courgettes, lovely flavour, the cos leaves were nice as well. But over all considering the standard set with in the bar and the atmosphere I have to say I felt quite disappointed and ripped off if I am honest. Decidedly average. It may just have been a bad night, it was Tuesday 5th August 2014. It was not busy, owners were out with the kids from what I hear.

However, I may let them off and try again as the pizza oven outside looks great but I would not expect to pay more than £8-10 for a pizza and I worry they are charging £15 - i did not find prices for them.

To sum up: It is a lovely pub, the garden is lovely. Unfortunately my first impression is pried high for no reason. I certainly did not feel I got value for money. The staff were lovely though.

• Visited August 2014