“Great genuine Chinese food”
Review of the mitre - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
the mitre
Cuisines: Chinese
Peterborough, United Kingdom
“Great genuine Chinese food”
Reviewed 19 April 2012

My wife is Chinese, so we won't be fooled by deep fried pretend Cantonese rubbish. This was the genuine thing. Best Chinese restaurant we have been to in UK, including London ChinaTown. Lots of Chinese there - always a good sign, Friendly and helpful staff too.
Try it!

Visited March 2012

“Food is excellent 好的菜”
Reviewed 9 April 2012

I went in here because I was bored with eating in my own Chinese restaurant .
I've been in the restaurant game for over 10 years now , I had wonton noodle soup followed by fillet beef and special chow mein . It was better than my own restaurant the only minor gripe was I thought they could have been better dressed and a little more enthusiastic .
The food was superb authentic and very good portions .
I looked a right state as I had been working outside all day . But they made me feel very comfortable .
I love going here this is my second time I will be back , when I was there there were two Chinese students eating and they seemed to likely too if the Chinese like it it says it all really .

Norwich, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent authentic Chinese food”
Reviewed 14 February 2012

This place is fantastic for really authentic Chinese food and the prices are pretty reasonable. If you are looking for what is typically sold as Chinese food in the UK you may well be disappointed, while if you are a Chinese student (a large number of customers) or want a tast of abroad you'll love it. I loved it.

• Visited January 2012
1 Thank Liam1932
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Dreadful. Really do go elsewhere.”
Reviewed 29 November 2011

This was an awfully rough pub, now converted into a Chinese. We were hopeful that this place could do a roaring trade and be similar to the Phoenix in Cambridge, where it is enjoyable to eat. Nothing could be further from the truth.

The food I would say is the worst Chinese food I have ever eaten in Norwich - really greasy and poorly presented - certainly sub-takeaway or market stall standard, and certainly not restaurant quality. It is nowhere near the same league as Baby Buddha, the Hong Kong takeaway on Unthank Road or the newish Chinese restaurant in the Earlham Road shopping centre.

The service was poor. A very rough chap indeed (very similar to the previous clientele of the Mitre when it was a pub) was acting as a kind of intermediary, with a young Chinese girl completely out of her depth trying to serve us and a couple of amateurish pensioners in the back doing the cooking. We were a large party of five adults, one of whom is Hong Kong chinese, and three children and we were the only paying customers (the rough chap, well, I don't know what he was doing), so you might have thought they would be pleased to see us. Well, they certainly didn't act that way. We asked for some extra pancakes for the children and they told us 'only if you pay extra'. I have never experienced that before.

Decor and surroundings are trashy. It was a cold day and the place was freezing.

I love Chinese food and walk past this 'restaurant' every day, and will continue to do so, as I cannot imagine circumstances in which I would return. I have also frequently seen the delivery of pre-cooked rice, carried in enormous laundry baskets, without any form covering, in the boots of passenger cars parked outside. Hardly hygenic or fresh in my opinion.

I really wanted this place to succeed, but it is dire. It is all a bit of a joke, even down to the phoentic transliteration of Mitre into Chinese, but it isn't so funny when you receive the bill. I note the other postive reviews appear to have been posted on the same day.

• Visited May 2011
2 Thank norwici
Harrogate
“Great Chinese food - friendly family environment”
Reviewed 23 September 2011

Had a really good Chinese buffet at the Mitre. Excellent food and value for money. very friendly atmosphere and children welcome.

• Visited September 2011