“Simply Stunning!!”
Review of Catton Old Hall

Catton Old Hall
Ranked #20 of 80 Norwich B&B and Inns
Reviewed 16 February 2014

Having read previous reviews, I was somewhat sceptical about booking but my partner told me that he had been reliably informed that the B&B had been taken over by new owners. My first reaction when I walked through the door was one of amazement... This place has been completely refurbished and looks nothing like the photos below. It's fresh, clean and certainly has the WOW factor!! We were very warmly welcomed by Paula and shown to our room on the 1st floor. The room exceeded my expectations, very tastefully decorated and furnished to a high standard. The mini bar was well stocked and reasonably priced, there was a good choice of tea, coffee and hot chocolate. The bed was very comfortable with lovely, fresh white linen. I have taken photos but they really don't do justice. We will definitely be recommending Catton Old Hall to our friends and family and we've already booked our next visit!!

Room Tip: We stayed in the 'William Bussey' room - fabulous!!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jill C
There are newer reviews for Catton Old Hall

Reviewed 9 February 2014

Ok, the good stuff - hotel has new proprieter, Paula who made us very welcome. The reception area has been completely renovated and has a much fresher, lighter feel than the red in the previous photos online. New carpet up the stairs and in our 'upgraded on arrival' room. Our room was huge, its the one in the photos with the burgundy flower wall paper. The wooden ceiling beams and old style doors are just charming. Again the room has just been modernised with fresh colours and new furniture. Trouser press, iron and ironing board all in the room. The bed was lovely and comfortable. The snacks and mini bar in the room was a great idea, and reasonably priced. Again, like the bedroom, the bathroom is massive with lovely soft white towels. Plenty of off street parking, area felt nice and safe and certainly quiet, and not too far from the city centre (about 10 minutes drive)

The stuff that could niggle: we were told on arrival that the jacuzzi in our room wasn't working, that was fine as we hadn't expected to be upgraded to such a lovely room. Unfortunately the shower didn't work either! Hair dryer missing from room. Remember when you book this is an old house, we were on the first floor and the ceiling above creaked when people upstairs moved about, didn't bother us at all, in fact we found it rather charming, but I notice people in previous reviews have found this annoying. Breakfast was lovely, cereals, fruit, juice, tea and coffee plus full English breakfast, just note that the cooked breakfast comes as is, no choice of how you like you're eggs etc, but delicious anyway!

We paid £85 for our room, on a Saturday, we would certainly stay again.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sara T
Reviewed 9 October 2013

This is someone's house, it's a bed and breakfast, not a hotel. Like anyone else's house there are rules to abide by - and some might seem a bit over the top - but that is the owner's prerogative. We didn't have a problem with it. This is a nice comfortable old house with plenty of character and plenty of creaking floors. We felt safe, we slept well, we came and went as we pleased. There was a bell in reception to ring if we required service. The honesty bar highlights the trust that the owners put into their guests and we respected that. The sitting room was large and comfortable and perfect for a sundowner or post dinner drink. There is a sizable garden with a covered sitting area. We stayed in a large room at the top of the building - it was clean, well equipped and contained many nice touches. Mr Hobo wasn't pleased that the double bed was made up of two twins together that didn't seem to match and with one bedstead loosely fitted, but when he wanted to talk to Mrs Hobo about it - she was fast asleep. Mr Hobo still slept well. The cooked breakfast was excellent, and there were plenty of other choices to accompany the main dish. Service was good, toast was made for us which wasn't a problem. The hour window may inhibit some people but we were relaxed and indeed, sat there for some time afterwards, munching on more toast, drinking more tea and coffee, reading the complimentary paper and the quirky books placed upon the tables that contained quotations or wisdom on all subjects, while the owner was happy for us to do so and serve us so well. Yes, she may not be everyone's cup of tea and she may not be the conversationalist of the year, but she was polite, friendly and helpful. Above all, she allowed us into her lovely old house for a nice stay.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MrandMrsHobo
Reviewed 24 September 2013

We didn't get as far as booking...awkward and unhelpful on the phone when trying to book.
It is disappointing that the person answering the phone and arranging bookings found a potential client such a nuisance.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank HMCJJ
Reviewed 14 August 2013

My husband and I spent two nights here as a treat for our wedding anniversary. The four poster suite was delightful and comfortable, offering many small personal touches such as designer perfume in the his and hers bathroom, extensive choice of tea, coffee and hot drinks, bottled water and biscuits. Beautiful fluffy towels and robes and clean beautiful bedding. Trouser press, iron, hair dryer as you would expect from a good guesthouse. Breakfast was excellent and beautifully cooked. Wide choice of cereals, breads and fabulous freshly prepared fruit. Tea coffee and juices. I really cannot understand any criticism of the food and would challenge anyone to better it. The house is very old and historic, with creaky floor boards and steep stairs as anyone should expect. Modern soundproofing is not possible in an old property such as this. If guests were not asked to respect others by keeping noise to a minimum and not using the jacuzzi after midnight then the owner would receive complaints. Its difficult to please everyone. If you are not prepared to accept the quirkiness of a property of this type book into a travel lodge. I parked my Mazda in the car park and was not concerned that it would come to any harm in what I felt was a nice area. I would agree that the owner was a little distant and not very warm and friendly but was not rude. We felt it was good value and were pleased we made the choice.

Room Tip: Four poster room for romantic weekend overlooking garden.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 August 2013

Beautiful old house, spacious comfortable rooms, friendly owner, lovely sleep, hot shower, and great breakfast. What more can anyone ask for? Having spent a romantic evening in this establishment I felt that I simply had to write a review to say that we found nothing to fault (apart from a particularly irritating fellow guest who felt the need to share every detail of his trip with everyone in the breakfast room, whether they wanted to hear it or not)
The owner was welcoming and happy to tell us about the history of the building that she clearly loves. There were lots of personal touches sadly missing in many faceless hotels and unlike too many hotels we were shown to the room and helped with our luggage. Anyone who visits a building of this age and complains about the steep stairs and squeaky floorboards would be better off in a travel lodge. It is an historic building not a flat pack monstrosity. The hotel website clearly explains that this is the case. If you want to stay in a cosy comfortable home from home this is your place. Sadly I have seen the lack of respect and care with which some people treat hotels and frankly people like that need to be politely requested to observe common sense and consideration. The information book in the room was full of interesting information and a couple of perfectly reasonable requests regarding fire safety etc. Stay here and you can look forward to a real guesthouse experience and a taste of history. We would love to have stayed longer and made more use of the facilities, and would definitely return.

Room Tip: If steep stairs are an issue perhaps request a room with easier access.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 August 2013

The stairs were uneven and unstable i found myself tripping up them a great deal of times which became a huge discomfort for myself, i was then told in the morning that i needed to be careful with noise.
The floors creaked so i couldn't move about too much after 8.30pm as people below me were asleep and there are signs telling you not to move about as much for the respect for guests.
I didn't feel comfortable what so ever. I felt like a guest in someone's home than being treated like a guest in a hotel.
The beds weren't made properly and also was on uneven flooring.
My tap was leaking to and was dripping most of the night.
The food was really boring and wasn't what i had thought for the price of the b&b.
The area in which this place is located is not a very nice part as i heard loud exhausts and shouting and swearing late at night because it seems to be a hang around area for young youths nearby. I felt extremely uncomfortable and didn't get a good nights sleep, my concerns were also to my husbands mercedes parked which is in an unsecure parking location, although there is a gate it is low enough for people to jump over. When i spoke to staff the next day they didn't show a great deal of interest. I tried speaking to one lady because i had no toilet roll in my room and she couldn't speak a great deal of English and didn't understand a word i was saying. I was hoping for a lovely weekend away with my husband to explore the local area and from the website it looked very appealing.
Overall i don't think it is worth the price we paid and i wouldn't expect to be treated the way we were, especially as we had travelled far and wasn't welcomed in a nice professional manner everything was rushed and i felt i was being spoken down to. Its a real shame this b&b real potential unfortunately it seems its owners have become stuck in their ways and seem to lack signs of interest in their guests stay.

Room Tip: I would say use the 3rd floor as you won't have noise coming from above you, but then you can...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple