“Avoid, avoid, avoid at all costs, prison like with unacceptable noise levels!!!”
Review of Broadview Lodge

Broadview Lodge
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 16 February 2014

This B&B is situated over the main halls of residence at the University of East Anglia in Norwich.
I stayed here for over a month in January 2014 and found it to be extremely noisy and unruly, with students carrying on until all hours of the morning. Staff running the B&B had a very laisse faire attitude and were not terribly helpful, doing the bare minimum to kept their job.

Pros: Located on UEA campus, which is the only plus I can see. The breakfast provided was varied and ok.

Cons: Noise levels were completely unacceptable. Students coming and going all hours of the day and particularly night! I had to repeatedly call security at UEA and they were completely useless. The B&B is unstaffed overnight so there is no one to complain to even if they were capable of doing something to quell the noise levels. Overall, the B&B staff were helpful, but they did seem very lackadaisical and not particularly responsive to basic requests to reduce the noise levels. Also a very big negative is the fact that there are no kitchen facilities at all available to B&B guests. Something which would have been appreciated as I was there for well over a month. The noise levels in the rooms are terrible as well and I could easily hear conversations, TV,etc, between the rooms in the B&B and from the noisy and inconsiderate students living below you.

All in all, it was like being in prison!!! Avoid at all costs, if at all possible!!!

Room Tip: If you need to sleep get a room away from the main courtyard with its many noisy students.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank OttawaTravel2012
olwyn e, Manager at Broadview Lodge, responded to this review, 18 February 2014
Thank you for your comments. I am sorry to hear that you had such an unpleasant four week stay with us and compare us to a prison. Unfortunately, we have no possibility of providing kitchen facilities and so are able to market ourselves only as B&B accommodation rather than self catering. Regrettably the geographical situation of Broadview Lodge, whilst giving excellent access to campus facilities, also means that there is some student noise - it is most unusual that Security were not able to help with your concerns, and I shall follow this up with them. Reception staff are on duty to help with any concerns or queries and I am concerned that you felt that both they and myself were not helpful. Do please contact me direct at Broadview Lodge, so that I may personally take up any issues which you feel were not resolved whilst you were with us.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 February 2014

Lovely room. Everything you needed was in the room and the staff were lovely. Situated in the heart of the campus too.
Highly recommend!
I stayed there as I had a interview in the university grounds and it was perfect as i had a desk and an oportunity to access the internet.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo

olwyn e, Manager at Broadview Lodge, responded to this review, 10 February 2014
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feed back. We are so glad that you had a comfortable stay with us, Natalie. Broadview Lodge is indeed ideally situated for guests who have interviews on or around campus, and the recent introduction of free of charge internet usage has proved to be very popular. We hope your interview went well and hope to see you back studying or working at UEA.
Penzance, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 February 2014

The rooms are fine, with everything you need; a good student room. The main plus is that Broadview is right in the middle of the UEA campus, so you can visit the Sainsbury Centre (but note: not on Mondays), take your granddaughter to an interview or do whatever University-associated errand or visit and it will be extremnely convenient. Unless you have a car, transport into Norwich is by bus (very regular service and close by) or taxi.
Breakfast is provided across the campus in the student cafeteria and it is exactly what you would expect from that description.
A big plus is that the reception staff and extremely pleasant and helpful.
The only way of adjusting the temperature appears to be by opening the window a small slot or, in the summer, by using the little fan provided. I suspect this room will be very hot in summer; it was certainly rather hot and stuffy in the winter.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business

olwyn e, Manager at Broadview Lodge, responded to this review, 5 February 2014
Thank you for your review and for the very nice things you say about us. We are glad that you had a comfortable stay with us and hope to see you again should your grandaughter chose to study at UEA.
england
Reviewed 16 December 2013

I arrived at 9pm and collected my key to find the room was not made up. I went back downstairs and the lady was nice and apologetic but she was unsure of which rooms were free and clean. She eventually found me a room but the bedding smelt like someone elses purfume and the bathroom stank. When I reported this in the morning the lady brushed it aside. I would not recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
olwyn e, Manager at Broadview Lodge, responded to this review, 17 December 2013
Thank you for your comments and for taking the time to provide your valuable feed back. I am so sorry that you were initially shown to a room which had not been serviced. This mix up is both unusual and unacceptable and I have established how the error occurred and ensured that this will not happen in future. The room in which you did stay was fully serviced, and as discussed upon your departure, I will speak with the laundry service concerning the perfume smell upon the bed linen. I am so sorry that you felt I was dismissive - this is not the impression I wished to convey at all.
Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 December 2013

Stopped overnight as my daughter had an 8.15am (!) interview at UEA.
Room was clean and bed comfy. Good selection of tea/coffee/hot choc in the room, and also a fridge. It had the feel of a student room, but then it doesn't pretend to be anything fancy!
Reception staff were both lovely and helpful.
Would definitely recommend.

Room Tip: If you have an interview at UEA you can stay here at reduced rates! Just ask.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family

olwyn e, Manager at Broadview Lodge, responded to this review, 16 December 2013
Thank you for your very positive feedback - As you report, Broadview Lodge is ideally situated on UEA campus for anyone attending an interview or appointment here. Our staff are well versed to be able to help with any queries relating to campus geography or procedure. We hope that you will stay with us again should your daughter have had a successful interview.
Harrow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 December 2013

Thank you to the lovely staff you were so helpful and kind. We had a Chinese meal delivered thanks to them as we were so tired from our journey. Comfortable bedroom, spacious wet room, plenty of tea/coffee etc plus bathroom products and hair dryer. Yes it looks like student accommodation but what do you expect - The Hilton? Breakfast is provided in the student cafe which offers lovely food and good variety. Other cafe and shops a mins walk away, just what you need when visiting the campus for a couple of days.

If our daughter gets a place, we will be staying there again - I could stay for a week if she allows it lol.

Tip - if arriving by train - order a taxi to pick you up as a black cab is twice the price!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
olwyn e, Manager at Broadview Lodge, responded to this review, 16 December 2013
Thank you for your feedback - all guest comments are important to us. We are glad that Broadview Lodge helped to make your UEA visit such a positive one and we wish your daughter well in her application to study here. We hope to see you all again in the future!
St Andrews, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 December 2013

Although the room was basic, the bed was comfortable and the room was clean and fresh. The service was superb, with very friendly and helpful staff. There was a slight notice from the University halls, however I was expecting it to be much worse after reading the reviews.

• Stayed December 2013
olwyn e, Manager at Broadview Lodge, responded to this review, 16 December 2013
Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay at Broadview Lodge. I am glad that you had a good stay with us and found our staff to be so helpful. It is our aim to offer an excellent customer experience to all of our guests visiting UEA campus.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Norwich
Hotel Wroxham
Holiday Inn Express Norwich
Maids Head Hotel
Maids Head Hotel
#5 of 50 in Norwich

Been to Broadview Lodge? Share your experiences!