“Not quite perfect”

Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 23 June 2014

We stayed at the Maidshead hotel and ate here on the first evening. The room is in a sort of cellar area - it's pretty, but we were put by the doors and it was quite drafty. We had an amuse bouche of carrot soup, which was nice, and some bread that was a bit tough and had an odd herby flavour! My starter was quails egg with a raisin puree - it didn't really go together, but the quail was nice. My boyfriend had the duck confit, which was really good. My main was pork belly with mashed potato and squid - it was HUGE! It was such good food but there was a mountain of it - I couldn't finish it at all, which always makes me feel bad! I didn't really care for the mushrooms with it but luckily they weren't too overpowering.
My boyfriend had lamb cooked two ways - he'd asked for it rare, but said it would actually be better medium.
Service was fine - not too much, not too little. Atmosphere in the restaurant was a bit stuffy, but that might've just been the clientele on that particular night. Certainly it wasn't overbearing.
Neither of us had room for dessert. Overall I would say serving sizes need looking at (my starter was too small, my main was too big...) and it's very slightly overpriced (although drinks are very reasonable). Apart from that - a nice place to eat.

1  Thank Cat C
Christine M, General Manager at Winepress@wensum, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2014

Dear Cat C,

Thank you for your comments regarding your dinner. I am glad that you found the service fine and I shall pass your comments on to the kitchen regarding portion sizes. I do hope you will visit us again soon.

Reviewed 16 June 2014

We had a very nice dinner here last night in pleasant surroundings. Our waitress Krystyna was knowledgeable and friendly and very courteous. The food was good and whilst we originally planned on having the tasting menu there were one or two items that we didn't really fancy so went a la carte instead. The crab starter was good and my wife enjoyed her lobster ravioli but thought there was a bit too much pasta. The Sea Trout was very good as was the Sea Bream. The best dishes of the night were the desserts, the house special "Fruit Salad" is a lot more than the name suggests and is heartily recommended. A nice and unexpected touch was the Amuse Bouche of carrot and cumin soup. All in all a very good dinner, with good fine dining food in a comfortable atmosphere.

1  Thank Trevor_L_Dorset
Christine M, General Manager at Winepress@wensum, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

Dear Trevor_L_Dorset,
I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your dinner in the WinePress and I shall pass on your kind words to Krystyna. The team will be disappointed not to get 5*s but we hope to do better on your next visit.

Reviewed 22 May 2014

I visited recently and can honestly say would absolutely return. The staff were very knowledgable, service was great, not to much or to little. Lots of choices of wines which I loved. Have already recommended to lots of my friends and family, keep it up!

Christine M, General Manager at Winepress@wensum, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2014

Dear FLBNorwich,
Thank you for your recommendations! We are always pleased to read that our guests enjoyed their visit and we hope you come back soon.

Reviewed 21 May 2014 via mobile

Got recommend this place from a friend to take my girlfriend for a meal and was instantly made to feel welcomed by the staff as soon as we arrived! We both ended up going for the A-la carte menu which included a large range of courses with wine (locally made) suited to accompany each course! Each course was amazing from start to finish! And the atmosphere matched the food! Highly recommend to anyone!

Dear Thomas R,
It is great to read that you both had such a pleasant evening at the Winepress. We hope to welcome you back soon!

Reviewed 21 May 2014

Had a lovey meal with the family of 4. We all had the taster menu which was excellent value and the wines were superb. Will definatley go again soon

Dear Wrighty1969,
I am pleased to read that you enjoyed our 5 course tasting menu. We change it every 3 months so there will be a new one for you to try soon.