“Paper thin walls and poor value food”

Holiday Inn Norwich
Ranked #19 of 50 Hotels in Norwich
Reviewed 4 March 2012

Stayed one night and from the word go was unimpressed by the officious attitude of one of the check in staff. Room was clean as I would certainly expect form Holiday Inn. The curtains if you can call them that were a bit odd. They are lightweight wood panels that have to be dragged across the floor; very effective at keeping out the light though.

The walls in the room were very thin and I could hear the person in the next room wheezing. By the same token he could probably hear me snoring and must have heard my alarm clock at 6 AM. If you want a quiet night without hearing other folks snoring this probably isn't the place for you.

Oddly the floor which I was staying on had photographs promoting a disabled rider for the paralympics. This was odd as there didn't appear to be a way for a disabled person to get to this particular floor. Just a thought.

I ate in the bar and was frankly appalled by the price and quality of what was on offer. The burgers start at £12 (plus £2 for extra toppings) for what turned out to be a cheap quality burger served with a lot of lettuce. I'm sorry but at £12 for a burger I expect something of decent quality. When I complained about it at reception the next day I was told that the pricing is standard across all Holiday Inns. Hopefully the pricing is standard but at other establishements the quality is better.

The saving grace of this hotel is breakfast which was included in my room rate. The quality and quantity of the food available at breakfast was very good.

If you choose to stay here and have a priority club account I recommend that you complain about anything not to your satisfaction when you check out. They are obviously used to complaints and straight away awarded me an extra 2000 points on my account as a gesture of goodwill. Fair enough I suppose.

The hotel gets breakfast right why can't it get the rest right.

Room Tip: Think carefully before booking here. Other hotels are available.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Norwich, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2012

Des_Gruntled,

Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to leave us a candid review.
I would like to offer a sincere apology. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Ben J
IHG Care

Reviewed 3 March 2012

I have stayed here on four previous occasions in the last six months and have not been dissappointed, in fact I prefer this Holiday Inn to the Airport Hotel as the overall experience is better and the staff are far more helpful.
I book early and get a discounted rate on an exectutive room, which is always a bonus providing of course you book in excess of 21 days.
The reception are always efficient, welcoming and friendly, it can at times be busy, but patience is a virtue, particulalry when they are busy.
The recreation facitlities are of a good standard and appear to be well maintained. The swimming pool/spas/sauna area are all clean and is well worth a visit as is the gym. Avoid the Blue Rinse Brigades aqua aerobics on a Tuesday night 18:30-19:30, unless of course you wish to make waves in the pool and participate.

I have only ate buffet breakfast in the main restaurant and certainly have no complaints there. The food is of decent quality, there is fresh fruit option along with croissant, danish pastries etc. During the evening I prefer to eat less formally and chose the option of the bar menu. Every time I chose a different Curry and every time I have been imprressed as in my honest opinion, their chefs porduce some of the best curries I have ever eaten in a Hotel, allbeit they are a little light on the meat side.
My only gripe is the cost of the Wi-Fi, this should be free as most all most Holiday Inns in the USA provide this free.
The Hotel has great access to/from the A47 ring road and is apporximately a 15 minute drive to the Airport. If you wish to visit the a supermarket, tescos is literally half a mile down the road jsut past The Marsh Harrier Pub/Restaurant which incidentally is also worth a visit.

Room Tip: Executive Room above 135 and facing the car park
Reviewed 28 February 2012

Stayed here for one night with my teenage son in a twin room. Beds very comfortable, I actually had the best nights sleep I have had in a long while. Nice large flat screen HD TV, and plenty of tea and coffee available. Reception actually had a table set up with hot drinks and wine to help yourself to.

We ate in the restaurant and the food was perfectly satisfactory but very expensive. Two mains and two drinks came to £46 and really wasn't worth that price. Breakfast was very nice, as it always is with this chain, so no complaints there.

Would not hesitate to stay here again, and all the staff we encountered were extremely helpful.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank quizbunny
Reviewed 21 February 2012

Business trip for two nights. Room was okay but the bathroom was beginning to get a little tired (decor / fittings etc). Reasonable facilities - nice to have a gym. Decent bar and Sky Tv (with sports) was a bonus.

However, the food was simply poor - particularly the evening meal - and worse still expensive for what it was. School dinners were much better and a lot, lot cheaper.

Reviewed 21 February 2012

Stayed at the hotel weekend of 10/11 February. Upgraded to an executive room which was a bonus. Room spacious - well stocked minibar! Breakfast excellent. Evening meals were chinese buffet one night and mexican the next. Not the most exapnsive of spreads but adequate. Pool and leisure facilities good. Easy access to the City and coast. Would recommend

Room Tip: Executive room a decent size
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 February 2012

I've stayed in this hotel a number of time on business and the front desk are always helpful and efficient.

The rooms are pleasant, clean and a good size, as well as being quiet. However, the air-conditioning in the rooms I have visited hasn't really worked, and often the rooms got too hot. I mentioned this on check-out on two visits, and on the second they told me that the aircon is off during the winter months. This would seem to make sense, however, the rooms get quite warm and opening the window isn't ideal with noise from traffic etc.

The gym is well-equipped with cool air flowing through, and despite being open to the members within the local area there are usually enough machines for use (I've visited between around 6pm and 9pm on Mon, Tues and Weds). Pool is a decent size though a lot of people tend to walk past it to get to the gym so not as private as it could be. Jacuzzi can also be seen from the gym.

My only other criticism is the price of wireless internet. On my last visit I opted for 3 nights wireless usage for which I was billed £30. For one hour, you pay £5, or I think it was £15 for 24 hours. Given that I am used to hotels in which wireless is either free or billed at around £10-£15 for a full week, this seemed incredibly expensive.

Due to the above, I feel that this is a great hotel for a business trip, but would not stay for leisure purposes.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank 138sp
Reviewed 18 February 2012

We booked early and got a great rate on our room and our breakfast. Room was very nice, clean with everything you could need. We ate in their restaurant and had a great meal with no waiting around. The breakfast offering was the best I have ever seen. The health club is a real bonus and I would love to return to this hotel again soon.

• Stayed: February 2012