“Comfort, friendly staff and honest pricing”

Holiday Inn Norwich
Ranked #18 of 50 Hotels in Norwich
Reviewed 23 February 2013

We spent two overnights at this hotel when attending a surprise birthday party. It was easy to find once we got to Norwich, and after a frustrating journey due to erratic signing on the A14 from Ipswich to Bury St Edmunds which warranted a 40 mins detour, Ben, the evening receptionist, gave us a friendly and sympathetic welcome was much appreciated, as was his kindness in carrying our suitcases to our room. Check in was quick and easy ... our prepayment receipt had already been prepared.

Our room was spotlessly clean, with a good bed, plenty of towels and hot water, and a shower and bath which benefitted from good water pressure. It was a novelty to have sliding wooden panels instead of curtains, but this system kept the room dark at night and soundproofed it well from the main road outside the hotel.

We were particularly pleased we had pre-paid for breakfast in our saver deal. Everything was very fresh - delicious fruit salad - and we were able to order porridge and alternative egg dishes from the fried eggs provided. I had poached eggs and my husband had an omelette. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff, who were particularly busy on the Sunday morning with a full hotel. Particular praise should be given to Jamie, who made sure that any item that was in danger of running out was topped up, and whose courtesy and enthusiasm - and sheer hard work - should go far in the hospitality industry. Our table was well served by Yahira, whose friendliness and radiant smile made our day even though it was a foggy morning outside. We were also well looked after by Chloe who was working in the daytime at reception.

Our stay was consistently good. It is rare to find a room set aside with board games for children, so that they can amuse themselves, and we treated ourselves to a couple of games of dominoes, and relived some simple pleasures that we'd forgotten about over the years!

Access to Norwich city centre was easy, and there was plenty of space in the car park even when the hotel was full.

It would be our pleasure to return to this hotel. Well done to all the staff, including those behind the scenes who cleaned the rooms and prepared the breakfast and our bar supper on the Sunday evening.

Room Tip: No lifts. Some corridors are long!
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Martin S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Norwich, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2013

Dear Alsacienne,

Firstly let me thank you for your positive feedback. It is feedback like this that gives myself and my team a real sense of achievement. It is lovely to hear that certain members of our team stood out to you. I will make sure Ben, Chloe, Yahira and Jamie receive your great feedback of which I am sure they will be very pleased.

I am happy to see you enjoyed being able to have alternative choices at breakfast. We strive to ensure that all of our guests are catered for and understand everyone has different tastes and likes!

It would be great to say hello to you again if you come back to stay with us at Norwich. Hopefully we can see you again soon.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 22 February 2013

I stayed on business earlier in the month. It was my first time at this Holiday Inn. The facilities were good, I used the sauna and the steam which were really good. My room was warm, clean and pleasant and the staff were all really helpful. My only gripe was the breakfast which was £10.95 and just was not worth the money. The bacon was overdone and the sausage was of really low quality, it was poor. Overall my stay was good but the food let the place down.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Mel01530

Thank you for taking a minute to feedback to us about your time at Holiday Inn Norwich.

I am very glad to see that you enjoyed the use of our Spirit Health Club and you found your room to be of a good standard.

I am disappointed to see that you think our breakfast let it down for you. This is not a normal occurrence at our hotel and our breakfast is normally of a very high standard. I will have a look into this to ensure all of our correct breakfast procedures are being carried out.

Hopefully we can see you again at our hotel in the future.

Reviewed 22 February 2013

This holiday Inn is much like any other and to a good standard of both staff, food and rooms.We found its position far enough from Norwich centre to avoid heavy traffic yet only a short 10 min drive if you require the city center shops, castle or museums.We were at the County Archives on this visit which only took 5 or 6 mins by car and were able to park inside the grounds free of charge. Holiday Inn have wi-fi available at all their hotels but at a cost at most. This seems to vary from one to another as we had free wi-fi at our previous Holiday Inn at Darlington.When one has need of this service on a regular basis it would seem sensible for them to be consistant and preferably free of charge as most chain hotels are now offering this.It puts Holiday Inn at a distinct disadvantage when adding up costs. We found a way round this particular hurdle as the pub restaurant 100 yards away(the Marsh Harrier) had free wi-fi and for this service they won our dinner order on the second night of our stay and we also enjoyed the meal as it seems did a good number of our fellow hotel visitors too.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business

Dear Guest,

I am glad you found the hotel to be in a suitable location for your needs during your stay.
You are correct in saying that some of our hotels do charge for wi-fi and some don't. At the moment our wi-fi service is chargeable but it is something which we are always discussing.

Thank you for your comments and feedback.

Reviewed 9 February 2013

Stayed here for the first time, it's a typical HI, clean, comfortable, convenient.

The food in the restaurant was a pleasant surprise, and the breakfast was good too.

I will use it again if I'm in the area

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
Martin S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Norwich, responded to this reviewResponded 11 February 2013

Dear Antonia H,

Thank you for your feedback, its great to know what our guests think.
It is also fantastic to hear that we beat your expectations within our restaurant.

We look forward too hopefully seeing you again soon!

Reviewed 3 February 2013

Just returned from a lovely weekend break to Norwich.

The Holiday Inn, Ipswich Road is a good base to explore Norwich being about £6/£7 in a cab to the city centre. The Hotel itself has a nice feel to it and is in good condition inside. We didn't use the bar but dinner was included the first night in our rate and it was very yummy. Being what looked like the only diners that night we asked if we could have the dinner in our room instead of the restaurant and they were more than happy to do this. The staff were very helpful at breakfast on both mornings with ample food available from full english, poached eggs made to order to croissants and fruit. It was all hot and very yummy. Plus the breakfast at weekends is till 11am!! which is brilliant!!

The rooms are decent sized rooms with good storage and clean bathrooms. My only niggle with the rooms was the noise. We were located near a staircase and could hear people going up and down the stairs. This wasn't too bad Friday night but Saturday the hotel was a lot busier and they had people coming home from their nights out at all hours and this did disturb us.

We used the swimming pool, sauna, steam room etc and all were of a good standard and clean. Changing rooms were clean also. My little gripe was the gym. I like running and went down Friday to have a run before going for a swim and the gym was busy. Three treadmills, three cross trainers, three bikes etc. A lot of the equipment was taken and not by residents of the hotel. The hotel offers deals for people who live in the surrounding area for a cut price gym membership which is annoying as your paying extra to have the facilities available for guest use.

Also as many people have said £16 for 24 hours of wifi is extortionate especially as a five minute walk away is a lovely pub called the Marsh Harrier which has free wifi.

All in all I would stay in the Holiday Inn and recommend it as an ideal base in Norwich. I think I would just request a room away from the stairs and go to the gym in maybe the off peak times.

Room Tip: If you want quiet ask for a room away from the stairs.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Martin S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Norwich, responded to this reviewResponded 5 February 2013

Dear Guest,

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your weekend away in Norwich and that you found our hotel in a suitable location to meet all of your needs.
The Guest Experience is very close to our hearts at our hotel and we strive to give our guests the best service possible. We also understand that all of our guests will have different needs and we will always do our best to cater for everyone.

Our Spirit Health Club is open to non-residents also. To avoid this situation happening regularly, our Spirit Team Members operate a system where in peak times, members and guests are asked to use the machines for a maximum of 15 minutes.

If you decide to stay at our hotel again, please call our Reservations Team directly on 01603 730300 and we can ensure that you are allocated a room which is away from the staircase.

Lastly let me finish by thanking you for taking your time to feedback to us. It really is very helpful to us.

Reviewed 1 February 2013

Stayed here before on yet another business trip.
Room was very clean and had been re furbished
Has a good gym swimming pool sauna and steam room
Had a late breakfast but appeared as though they were finishing
and the fresh fruit was depleted.However, the staff kindly made up a platter of fruit for us.
The only gripe is the cost of the internet which is £15 whereas most hotels its free.
Friendly staff

1  Thank Bozzy54LondonEngland
Martin S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Norwich, responded to this reviewResponded 3 February 2013

Dear Guest,

It is excellent to hear your kind feedback, thank you very much. It is also great to know that you have stayed with us several times and hopefully you will again in the future!

I would like to inform you that we have now changed our breakfast times slightly so that this problem doesn't happen. This way it enables all of our breakfast items to keep at a perfect temperature and freshness so that it is more enjoyable for you, our guests.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 30 January 2013

Work took me to Norwich so booked in here. Easy to find with large car park. Good quick check in. Room was an executive. V clean, well maintained. A fridge that the guest can use instead of these stupid auto charge fridges! Brilliant. Good shower and comfy bed. It is by a main road but there was no excessive noise in the room. Ate in the restaurant in the evening, There was a deal on where there was a three course buffet including a beer for about £16 - good chilli and starters. Good concept because I don't want to eat a served meal by myself. Food was good. Breakfast was the usual HI fare, not brilliant but OK. Staff were all V good and V friendly. Nothing to fault it really, did exactly what I needed for an overnight stay while working. Would use again when in Norwich. The fridge was a definite plus. Only downside was the expensive internet access - £16 may be standard across HI but it is still extortionate. £5 is plenty and what I pay in other places - that's the only complaint about my stay but this is not just this hotel and more a gripe at HI generally

Room Tip: Executive ones are well equipped

Dear Guest Peter51964,

Firstly let me begin by thanking you for your kind comments. I will ensure your feedback is passed onto my team.

All of our executive rooms are equipped with mini fridges and in the future we are looking to install them into all rooms. I am also glad you enjoyed the buffet we held in our Junction Restaurant. We do this on various occasions so that some of our regular guests can experience a different menu and so far our guests have seemed to love it!

With regards to the internet, unfortunately yes it is chargeable for our WI-FI but you are right in saying that it is a company charge, not us personally as a hotel.

Hope to see you at Holiday Inn Norwich again soon,