“My 1st choice now for business trips”

Holiday Inn Norwich
Ranked #18 of 50 Hotels in Norwich
Reviewed 20 May 2009

I have to stress that I stay in many holday inns for business. I stayed here in May for 2 nights & am a member of the priority group.

The first night, I had dinner in the bar, Italian chicken burger, this was really nice & served promptly, the second night I had the south indian Lamb curry and it was also really nice, (they had run out of mango chutney though)I think they must have a new chef as I am quite fussy about food and would be the first to complain if it was not up to standard. One small niggle, the diet coke on tap was not working and the barman could not offer me an alternative diet drink on tap so I had to buy 2 bottles of pepsi max and he would not sell them to me for the price of a pint of diet coke on tap.

The room was clean & comfortable & the reception staff were very helpful particularly Naomi. Thank you

This is now my first choice accomodation when I travel to Norfolk and the leisure club is a bonus, I had a massage in the spa, perfect way to end the day.

Beware of the ibahn internet & phone call charges though, they are high as you would expect from a corporate hotel.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled on business
2  Thank c4baker32

Reviewed 15 May 2009

Our third visit to this hotel over several years and our first choice for future visits to Norfolk. This last visit saw a great improvement to the restaurant menu and we enjoyed an excellent meal on our first evening with plenty of choice.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank Christine_Roger
Reviewed 5 May 2009

Stayed one night and have booked more for business, the hotel lokks like one of those many that used to be a Post House and has been rebranded, in this case the giveaway is the layout and the odd architecture which can best be described as Lego Hotel.
The hotel is about 2 miles from the lovely city of Norwich and is handy enough for drivers to get to the coast, the broads and the history that surrounds the area. It sits on a busy road but the soundbroofing means that the road doesn't wake you up, the doors do that! The hotel doors are set in such a way that they give a reassuring bang when they close, reassuring for you, irritating for anyone asleep within 5 rooms either side. They have these great wooden curtains too, I kid you not, they are huge wooden blinds on runners, so when the man next door wakes up, goes to bed, looks out of the window in the dead of night, we all wake up. It doesn't bother me, I slept through an earthquake once, but if you are a light sleeper, take your ear plugs.
The bathroom is tiny and as i am of the larger persuasion, as well as being fat, it is a challenge to get your backside onto the loo, doing the paperwork afterwards is another comedy waiting to be written.
So.. you may ask, why would I go back?
The staff are lovely, and the food is better than excellent, I sat in a restaurant with a coachful of elderly guests and ordered the special offer dinner of 3 courses for £20,
the starter came before i had picked up the paper to read and it was hot, fresh and delicious, same with the mains and the pudding, the staff were attentive and smiled throughout and every single one of the coach party were treated with the same consideration, it was something to behold in a european hotel!
The beds were comfortable and there was a good desk for working on, a 3 bar signal on my 3 mobile broadband is a bonus.
Breakfast was well plundered by the time I dragged myself up but again there was a full selection of fresh and appetising looking food from the fresh fruits right through to to the full english.
The car park seems a bit open but is monitored and best of all - free.

There are no lifts in the hotel so if this is a problem, call first and get a groundfloor room, do not ask for a downstairs one as the ground floor is one up from these.
Not the cheapest in the area but certainly worth the money.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled on business
2  Thank mervous
Reviewed 24 April 2009

Stayed here previously and returned as its handy for me (5 mins from town), I collect priority points and its quite reasonable advance purchase price for a hotel with a pool and gym. Ibahn hardline broadband is available in the rooms at a hefty cost though i roamed on my btopenzone account and i expect thats not much better. Its a no frills holiday inn, comfy spacious rooms, well maintained and clean. Its got a quite nice 15m pool (mite be wrong but its smallish but ok) with steam room, sauna and gym all included in the price.

The restaurant is ok it pretends to be a la carte but doesnt quite make it for me. Though the soufle starter is a delightful must. It was just a shame for me that my tuna steak was overcooked and the grapes accompanying my cheese and biscuits were looking a bit wisened and I expect better for £6.85!!. I have a personal dislike for discretionary 10% service charges which i withdrew as it took them longer to get me a glass of wine than my main course and the place was quiet.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled on business
2  Thank DADDYONTHEROAD
Reviewed 14 April 2009

Well what can you say? It's a Holiday Inn :)

I've not stayed in one for ages so I thought I'd review what they are like now.

The outside looked awful, flakey, mouldy and generally minging!

The front desk staff were very good, the room was nice, clean and the bed was very comfortable.

The issues were the noise from internal doors banging all night and the temperature the room reached in the morning - sweltering.

The worst bit by far was the breakfast though. The restaurant was hotter than the room and the full cooked English breakfast was a disaster. They can cook hash browns but that's it! The sausages swam in a bowl 2 inches deep in fat, the bacon was so salty it was inedible, the mushrooms were those vile hotel ones that taste like they must have been boiled in dishwater, the scrambled eggs were dry, the fried eggs undercooked (liquid whites!!) and the black pudding had been cooked so long it was crispy - no moisture left in it at all. It was like a piece of toast burnt to blackness and spread with lard. I had a good laugh when I went back to the room and they had a little card talking about their great, hearty cooked breakfasts! Never again will I be so lazy to not look for a nice, well run B&B on Tripadvisor near to a wedding venue...let this be a lesson to you all!

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 April 2009

If you stay here, be careful to hang the Do Not Disturb sign on your door. I was staying here over Easter bank holiday weekend, and was looking forward to a nice lie-in. At 8am I was woken by insistent banging on my door. It was the cleaner, saying she had to go around "checking to see who's left". "At 8 in the morning?!" "Yes, I'm sorry, that's what time they tell us to start." Unbelievable. Having said that, the hotel's decent and clean, if soulless, and the gym's OK.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 February 2009

On arrival check in was quick and efficient. The lady on reception was very helpful and we went straight to our room. The room itself was average in size and very clean and comfortable. We didn't eat at the restaurant in the evening as the menu didn't take our fancy although the breakfast in the morning was delicious and the staff very friendly and on hand. The swimming pool was excellent and the changing rooms and shower areas were very clean.
The location of the hotel is about 10-15 minutes from the city centre. About 2 minutes drive from the hotel was a park and ride facility which takes all the hassle out of parking in Norwich. Locally there was also a Tesco just up the road (ideal for drinks and snacks) and a pub was in walking distance. Overall I would definately stay there here again.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple