“An Excellent Stay!”
Review of The William IV

The William IV
Ranked #41 of 80 Norwich B&B and Inns
Reviewed 5 November 2012

I was looking for a reasonably priced hotel near to all Norwich's amenities and sites. I certainly found everything I could possibly have wanted in The William IV.
The room was clean, spacious and had everything you'd expect. Free Wi-Fi, coffee and tea making facilities etc. etc.
The real advantages which set this hotel apart are the SUPERIOR Customer Service and home-cooked superb food available.
The breakfasts are excellent and served at the customer's leisure (no set times) I ate dinner there and couldn't believe the quality and value of the food. The staff are all superb - warm, welcoming and accommodating. The Landlady Lorraine worked tirelessly to ensure everything was perfect. I felt completely at home and will most definitely stay here again when I'm on business again in Norwich. A++++++++++

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Maria F

Reviewed 25 October 2012

We visited the William IV early September and like the previous reviews we too had a Groupon voucher, Our experience was very different.

When you enter the pub it is a little daunting. I would imagine that if you are a regular you would see past the decor etc. - we are not locals and did feel a little concerned. However we were there for the food not the pool or the TV !

For starters my husband ordered the chicken sticks and I the potato skins, with the intention of sharing both dishes. The chicken sticks were good but the potato skins were lovely - we wish we had ordered two of them.

Our steaks were served - my husband ordered his steak rare and this was one of the very few occasions that the steak actually came to the table as ordered ........rare........perfect ! The chips and onion rings were very good.

We each had a glass of wine and were so full that we did not wish for a dessert. A little bit more attention would have been good I think - if we had wanted a dessert nobody was about to take our order.

At the end of the meal we would have liked to say thank you but we waited quite a while for the plates to be taken from the table and as we had a appointment to keep, and had no bar bill, we just left.

I will certainly go the the William IV again, we had a lovely meal. We visited on a Thursday evening which was also 'All you can eat Curry nite' - this looked good and excellent value, will have to give it a try !

PS - On the strength of the above we purchased another Groupon voucher for two burger meals which we have not used yet. We look forward to it !

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 October 2012

Had a voucher to try the pub food. Service was prompt, wine fine and my husbands streak was thin but edible mine so tough and fatty it was totally unedible, it was generally pretty cheap quality poor pub grub. when asked if the meal was ok we said about the steak (which was still on the plate ) we did not complain just explained why it was un eaten, the waitress said she would tell the chef. We had expected at least an apology but non was offerred we were just given the bill for the extra coke and half of beer. No sign of owner or chef! We payed and left, very disappointed .
Its such a shame that if these places put out offers to get public in that they would at least serve good food and at least have the decency to acknowlede and appologise to customers who have had genuine cause to comment or leave their meal- which was pre paid for! .

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dee w
Reviewed 22 September 2012

Having received the groupon promotion for two steak meals for £16 or four for £30, I purchased the voucher for four people. The photos of big thick 12oz steaks looked delicious and as it included starters and wine seemed excellent value. We were taking two friends, who had also never been there. On arrival my husband went in to buy a couple of drinks(which took 20 minutes) so we could sit outside as it was a nice evening, to wait for our friends. When he came out I saw the expression on his face. He said it might be an idea to forget the money we had paid for the vouchers and go somewhere else to eat. He said that it was very scruffy and run down looking and had three big screens all round the pub showing a football match. I said as we were there and our friends had just arrived we might as well try it. As we walked in I saw what he meant. There was no designated dining area as such, just a couple of tables under one of the tv screens. We waited at the bar for ages waiting to be shown to our table, no one acknowledged us. In the end we called one of the people behind the bar (who wasn't serving anyone)if they could help us and was told they'd be with us in a minute, they then carried on chatting. After another ten minutes, just as we were getting ready to leave, a woman showed us a table and said "your sitting here" then went. We sat there for another ten minutes before she came back, to take the order for our starters. When they finally arrived fifteen minutes later, we all just stared at mine. I had ordered the potato skins, which were just a plate of greasy potato peelings topped with what looked like a slightly warm cheese slice! At this point in a normal pub/restaurant we would have complained, but in this establishment you got the distinct impression that you would have just got a mouthful and asked to leave. By this time we were so busy laughing, we thought it was worth staying for the experience. The other starters ordered were prawn cocktails, which although pretty tasteless prawns (most likely 10 kilos for a fiver from Lidl) were passable
After waiting ages for our plates to be cleared, someone finally came and asked how we wanted our steaks. When they arrived, I wish I had taken a picture on my phone, as it was the complete opposite of the picture on Groupon. Where their photo was a thick juicy steak, with fresh looking salad and crispy chips, ours looked like it had been driven over in the car park! It was no more than a quarter of an inch thick, old looking salad, soggy greasy chips and something that we think were onion rings? On trying to cut the steak, we found it was as tough as it looked. By now we needed a drink and had to ask if we could have our glasses of wine that were included in the voucher, as no one had offered them to us. We all tried to eat some of the food but my husband couldn't even cut any of his steak as it was so full of grissle, let alone eat it. When a girl came to clear the plates away and saw my husband hadn't eaten his she asked if it was ok, when he told her it was awful, she just laughed and said "oh"
After the terrible food and even worse service I emailed Groupon to complain, as what was being advertised and shown was completely false. They replied telling me that my complaint was being forwarded to the pub concerned. Suprise, suprise I never heard anything from them which just sums the place up. I contacted Groupon to let them know I had no reply from the pub.
I told them that I wasn't happy and that the least they could have done was refund my vouchers. They told me that my complaint would be forwarded to their management. Guess what.... three months later still heard nothing. Avoid this pub, and try some of the other great pubs and restaurants in Norwich. Should have remembered the old adage "If it seems to good to be true, it probably is"

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank karen w
Reviewed 18 August 2012

My boyfriend purchased an offer on Groupon for this place (any starter, a 12 oz steak and a glass of wine each for £16) We had never been here before and thought that it was going to be a really classy, elegant yet quaint little place for a quiet evening. That couldn't be further from the truth. When we arrived we were told where to sit by the woman behind the bar who just pointed to our seats rather than escort us. My boyfriend drove and didn't want the glass of wine so they replaced it with a glass of coke instead. For starters we ordered the 'ultimate nachos' and the 'potato skins' as they sounded like the nicest things on the menu. We had to wait at least 30 minutes for this order to arrive even though there were only four people in total in the restaurant (us being two of those people and the other couple were already eating their starters). When our order finally arrived we couldn't help but look at each other in disgust at what had been presented in front of us. The guacamole on the nachos genuinely looked like something that had been blown from a tramp's nose and splatted all over the bowl. What had been described as 'potato skins' had actually been confused with potato peelings, and that is not an exaggeration. They were actual potato peelings dumped in a bowl floating in oil and grease with some cheese melted over the top. Reluctantly yet politely we both tried to eat our way through the slop. We then had our mains brought out to us (one steak medium well-done with potato wedges and the other rare with fries) and once again what was actually presented to us looked like a microwave steak dinner from Iceland, 2 for £1 or something. The steaks were both very dull and grey in colour and both had every bit of the steak cooked completely differently; well done, medium well, rare etc. On top of our steaks they had placed what can only be described as a ring of grease, which they claimed to be an onion ring. I actually used my napkin to absorb the oil that floated on my steak. The batter was soggy and it looked extremely unappetising! We also ordered two portions of peppercorn sauce which was forgotten when we were served our meals, but when we received it, it was actually the preparation for the gravy that would be used for the carvery the following day with a few peppercorns thrown in for the ultimate disguise.
Despite being told when we booked there would be a party in the next room we didn't expect the words 'next room' to actually translate to right next to you. There wasn't a separate room for parties at all and we had the loud music, drunken shouting guests and people constantly disturbing us throughout our meal.
As we were driving up the hill we saw a little chip shop on the corner and jokingly said "oh shall we just stop and get chips instead?"...We both wished we had been more serious about those chips!
Whilst we were waiting for our food we had a look at the menu at what else they offered and it is extremely over priced for the quality and the service you actually receive! £16 for two as an offer for us was £16 too much. We also regretted dressing smartly as it felt very uncomfortable and like we were completely out of place.
We both didn't manage to finish our starters or main course because of the poor quality, and that is extremely unlike us to do so as we hate to see any food wasted!
Once we had finished and asked for the bill (my boyfriend ordered another coke and we had to pay for the gravy, i.e peppercorn sauce) the woman serving seemed to disappear for ten minutes. We then spotted her serving behind the bar where there were already bar staff and two customers max! My boyfriend actually had to approach her to remind her that we needed to pay for the extras, and despite her forgetting to bring out the 'peppercorn sauce', she was very quick to remind us that we also needed to pay for that too!
As we eventually managed to leave, we actually had to walk through the middle of the party going on and the finger food they had there looked a million times more appetising than the packet slop we had been served. The highlight of our evening was watching Mo Farrah win his second Olympic gold medal in the 5000m!
It's a good job that we have been together for two years because if that had have been a first date then we both would have been going home alone!

• Stayed: August 2012
3  Thank JenniferD1994
Reviewed 15 August 2012

Booked a table here some weeks ago. We clearly were the only couple anticipated as our was the only two places set for dinner. The pub is a bit shabby and basic, having said that the food was Ok. Not great but Ok.

My advice would be go somewhere else as there are many, many beter places to eat in and around Norwich/

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank alanNorwich
Reviewed 4 August 2012

Had a meal there recently. Bar maid nice but food very poor and over-priced. If hearty means too much poorly cooked pre-made/packet food piled high then not for me. Steak was no-where near rare and the chips were limp. Decor in the pub very dated and 3 pool tables made it feel like a youth club.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family