“Fantastic place for afternoon tea.”
Review of Biddy's Tea Room

Biddy's Tea Room
Ranked #1 of 49 Coffee & Tea in Norwich
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Eccentric British Empire inspired tearoom. Serving traditional afternoon teas in a quirky setting on Norwich's independent Lanes. All cakes baked in house in our North Norfolk bakery. Friendly laid back dining experience serving over 50 blends of loose tea. All food made to order and fresh. Bookings not required but can be made space permitting to avoid disappointment.
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Fantastic place for afternoon tea.”
Reviewed 27 June 2014

This is a heavenly place. I received a voucher for afternoon tea there for Christmas and have been back to visit three times since. It is a really sweet little place. The choice of teas and sandwiches were excellent, we then had a fruit scone with jam and cream, and also a piece of Victoria sponge which came with cream and fruits. The staff were faultless, nothing was took much trouble. I have introduced several people since I first went and it has become a great family favourite with us. Very highly recommended.

2 Thank Linda A

“Tea for Two.”
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Went with a friend today at 1.30.Got a table upstairs ,no problem.Service was very slow ,we waited over 15 minutes to be asked if ready to order as Staff in prep room talking.The sandwiches were nice,my Lavender scone very nice,my friends fruit one very hard she left most of it.I had a pot of tea my friend had a coffee served in a chipped mug with a cracked handle.Not the coffee pot or cafetiere she expected.
The crockery was a mismatched collection of odd china and pyrex The chairs and tables also a very odd assortment of shapes and sizes.(My daughter tells me this in the in thing.)Noticed the cruet set needed a wash as did the stand that held the plates.The cakes on display were not covered either.Perhaps I and my friend were expecting to much as our idea of afternoon tea is china crockery and table cloths as well as good food,not what looks like stuff a charity shop would bin.We went because we heard it was good,but sadly cannot recommend Biddys.

2 Thank RKA250
“What a disappointment”
Reviewed 18 June 2014

I visited Biddy's a year ago and it was an amazing experience. Since then I have been meaning to go back but due to their strange way of booking a table I haven't managed it. You can't make a phone reservation as they only take bookings online.

Yesterday a couple of friends and myself decided to try our luck and popped in to see if there were any cancellations for afternoon tea.. I have been telling them how lovely it was so they really wanted to try it. We were told there was indeed a table free, so we booked a table for 3.

When we arrived we were shown to our table which was a bit tight for 3 of us.I noticed a larger table was occupied by only 2 but no matter. We each ordered afternoon tea, after all you can't go to Biddy's and not have afternoon tea. I had fennel tea which was lovely, my friend asked if she could have coffee. They only do filter which was fine, but when she asked for cream we were told they had 'run out'. Better to say you don't serve cream with coffee than to say you have run out when there is a Tesco Express round the corner.

The tiered cake stand arrived which was a bit of a squeeze what with the plates, tea pots, etc

We ordered smoked salmon and cream cheese with horseradish on granary. This was to be served with a side of salad, 'homemade' coleslaw and crisps. Because they had put all three sandwiches on the bottom tier this left hardly any room for the salad and coleslaw. Firstly the bread was not granary, it reminded me of a supermarket own brand seeded batch loaf, thin slices of pappy shop bought bread. The salmon was dry, scant smear of cheese and non existent horse radish. The salad consisted of a few dried up leaves of lettuce and the coleslaw was a joke. A small desert spoonful between 3 is not enough. However I wasn't bothered as it seemed to consist mainly of carrot. I also passed on the pringles, they allow you 3 each !

I would love to say that the cake saved the day, but I can't. I had cherry almond sponge. The cake was as dry as dust, tasted faintly of almond. Topped with an odd tasting butter cream. There was a smear of jam as the filling and a squirt of canned cream with a solitary raspberry. Not a cherry to be found. One friend had the chocolate cake, she left most of it as although it looked the part she said it tasted shop bought, too sweet and not at all chocolaty.
The third member of our group had the scone with jam and clotted cream. Can't go wrong with that you may say. Wrong.. the scone again was dry, the jam was raspberry. I though it was strawberry jam that was served with clotted cream. However perhaps they got something right as whatever the cream was it certainly didn't seem to be clotted cream. Served in a very small pot it was more of a yellow spread.. Not nice.

Biddy's has certainly changed and not for the better. Last time I came they served proper granary bread, generous and tasty homemade coleslaw and 'posh' crisps. The cakes were scrummy. If the food is really good then you may overlook the cracked and stained crockery.

I would not eat here again nor would I recommend it.

3 Thank jellycat11
Norwich
“They haven't got it quite right.”
Reviewed 18 June 2014

My boyfriend and I went on a Saturday. We were showed up stairs for the afternoon tea. We we're put on a tiny table facing a wall. Great start. Came to ordering and I asked about the cupcakes / cakes they had. The waitress just said : the ones we have over there ( as in the other side of the room ( which I couldn't see) on the counter.) she didn't make any attempt to tell me what they were. She was just abit rude- which I just feel isn't acceptable. I love shabby chic decor but it's all abit dark- as u said before they haven't got it quite right. The pot of tea was nice though! But disappointed. Willing to give it another go but u would rush back in a hurry.

• Visited May 2014
2 Thank jwhyte92
“Mixed feelings...”
Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

We visited Biddys for an afternoon tea. The booking system is strange that you can only contact them by email as they have no phone number. We had to wait quite a while to order, but the food did arrive fairly quickly. The service felt awkward as a waitress arrived at the table but didn't really ask what we wanted. They were very slow too at coming back to the table, they didn't even clear our plates when we'd finished. The sandwiches were delicious and they have a great selection to chose from. Not too sure on the Pringles... The cakes however weren't as good. The flavours sound very tempting and they are huge! But because of the size they are over baked and have a thick crust. The icing has a strange taste and also not all of the flavours come through. You get lovely big pots of tea with a great choice of varieties. So in summary, it looks amazing but needs to sharpen up on their service and cake quality.