Best Western Plus Oaklands Hotel
  • Pool
US$101
PremierInn.com
  • Restaurant
All reviewsblack fridayevening mealunderfloor heatingafternoon teasaturday nightfull englishvenuetoasterpubsnorfolk
Reviewed 21 July 2013

Myself and 2 work pals stayed for one night...a saturday. A wedding was in full swing until just after midnight. Not a problem. Excellent afternoon meal (carvery), very cheap too. Very nice room. Discount price (apparently) £44. Two small moans...toilet in the single room...(mens talk here) was a dick-trapper, it would not stay vertical. The bedside lamp was intermittent, so I fixed it. Major gripe....breakfast was very nice,, well organised, many choices of food...But..the coffee was appalling..a bitter dishwater dirge. certainly not real coffee. Why does a good hotel with medium prices, skimp on a small detail? In life & business..If you get the small things right.........etc...

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 July 2013

I stayed with a friend for three nights, mid-week, in separate double rooms.
This hotel clearly specialises in functions such as weddings, and as a result there is often music until midnight (as there was for us, on the Monday). This was not a problem for us, but several other things were:
-- my bed was very uncomfortable
-- my friend's shower did not work
-- my bathroom grimy the first day, with hairs etc. (though cleaned by the second day)
-- the bathroom is poorly designed, with the loo too close to the bath (so you have to sit with your legs together!)
-- there are lots of creaky floorboards and doors, so you can expect to be woken by other guests going to and from their rooms
-- breakfast was very poor: no service at all on one day, minimal service the others; cheap-quality sausages, cheap-quality orange juice, coffee too strong one day, too weak the others; hot food kept hot under heat lamps resulting in dried-out croissants, over-cooked eggs, etc.
-- piped music (and too loud) during breakfast -- first thing in the morning, what's wrong with silence or the sound of people talking to each other?!
-- not especially convenient for Norwich: if you don;t want to drive and deal with the one-way systems, car-parking, etc., it's a £7 taxi-ride or a bus at £2.50 each, each way. When I asked in Reception about the bus time-table they were clueless and gave me wrong information.
We each paid about £65 per night, and I now wish we'd paid more to stay somewhere else.
I think my photos make it look nicer than it really is!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank JdeP
Reviewed 15 July 2013

Many years ago, my partner stayed in the Oaklands with his parents and daughter. He described it as relaxed and pleasant with superb breakfasts. Things change, sadly.

Don't get me wrong, the hotel itself isn't terrible. Situated on the outskirts of Norwich with a pretty garden and near the river (and handy riverside pubs), it seems perfect for a relaxed, yet affordable weekend. The building itself looks to have been extensively extended (though not terribly sympathetically - the newer wings are clearly add ons) and has been reasonably well maintained.

We stayed in room 1 which was a four poster room. We didn't specifically book a four poster - I expect we got it because of the weddings taking place that weekend (which was a problem - more on that in a moment) According to the website, these rooms are more spacious - the room was certainly adequate and the bed very comfortable, but I wouldn't call it especially massive. I dread to think what the standard rooms are like.

Room 1 is immediately above reception in the old part of the building. And therein lay the problem. As I mentioned, the hotel was hosting weddings on both the Friday and Saturday nights. The first we knew of this was a sign at reception "There will be music playing until midnight. Sorry for the inconvenience." Yep, there was music, yep it was loud. The drunken wedding guests also contributed to the noise. The location of the room - above reception next to the fire door from reception meant we heard every coming and going throughout the night and morning. We could hear and feel the noise.

Breakfast was admittedly tasty and used quality ingredients. However, it was a buffet. Not only for the cereal, fruit and fried breakfast constituents, but also for the coffee, tea, toast - indeed, arriving at the breakfast room, we were just told to sit where we liked and help ourselves - no service at all. Since one needs to make several trips (juice, coffee - truly, truly awful coffee - toast, then eggs/bacon/sausage etc) nothing stayed hot. I am not a fan of buffets - I pay to be served - I would at least expect to be offered fresh coffee and perhaps toast.

On the upside, as mentioned, the room was reasonably nice. The bed was very comfortable, and the shower was superb. There were tea and coffee making facilities, though again, the coffee was truly disgusting (in all fairness, I think this may be partly due to the very soft water Norwich seems to have). The room also contained a fan (very loud), a hairdryer, a clock, a trouser press and a small television.

I wouldn't stay here again. The hotel itself wasn't in itself terrible. The staff were friendly. The bed comfortable. But truly, the noise...the noise. In the summer the hotel attracts, apparently, a lot of weddings. I would therefore not recommend this establishment unless you are a guest at one of these weddings and so participating in the noise, rather than suffering it.

Not recommended.

Room Tip: If you must stay, see if an upper floor room would be quieter.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 July 2013

My daughter got married there and the wedding was lovely, everything went well. But don't stay in one of their bedrooms overnight. The standard of these bedrooms is average, not as described by their website, the mattresses have seen better days and were extremely uncomfortable as was the pillows, we had a bedside lamp that didn't work, the toilet seat was broken, which could have been dangerous for someone elderly, my husband actually ended up repairing it. We were very disappointed. Wouldn't stay there again. Jan C

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 June 2013

Booked a twin for one night last weekend. We arrived at 3.10pm but was told that we could not go to our room as there had been a burst pipe in the corridor leading to our room. These things happen and I wasn't unhappy about the situation. I asked where we should go to get some food - meaning, where is your restaurant - we were told to go back onto the road, turn right and there is a lovely place to eat!! She was right, the food was fantastic!! After filling ourselves silly we headed back to the hotel. We were allowed to go to the room but there were no lights on in the corridor - not a problem I thought - the corridor was as dark as a country lane in a winters evening - I tripped over the wet towels!!! Finally got to the room, Room 37, where we found bed bugs!! I took one back to reception, where I was told they had never had them before. I wondered if the manager, Richard, thought I had taken it with me!!! I asked for my money back and will never return. I was offered an apology, but I didn't hang around to hear the rest! I was out of that place!!!

Room Tip: Go somewhere else!
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family