“wedding day”

Best Western Plus Oaklands Hotel
Ranked #22 of 50 Hotels in Norwich
Reviewed 2 August 2013

m daughter had her wedding there recently, the staff cant do enough for you ,but when we went up to her room to fresh up, myself thought it was a bit disappointing for a wedding night. the venue was very nice, but despite a boiling hot day they close the doors where the dj was as residents nearby complain about the noise(although the hotel is set back from the road and trees block the noise but that's my opinion)

Room Tip: only saw one so don't know what the rest was like room 18 very basic
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 30 July 2013

I went here for a wedding and stayed in a "lodge" which is basically a travel lodge style room. I paid an extra 20 pounds to have the room by 12 but when I arrived the room had not been cleaned but they refused to give the 20 pounds back due to them giving us the key and me having to leave my things in the room while they cleaned around us. the food was basic soggy veg and potatoes for the roast sit down meal but the breakfast was lovely. the place looks tired and needs better cleaning and upkeep. This is a wedding factory with up to 3 going on at the same time and not enough staff. The day was nice but I think you can have a better wedding venue for same price or less elsewhere

Room Tip: Be prepared for it to be very noisy due to several wedding services going on.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 July 2013

we have stayed at the Oaklands many times. We like it because it is a hotel for everybody. My husband and I like the Sunday night specials.
Parking the car is easy. The food is very good. My only complaint was a wedding on a Saturday night, we go to bed early, so we heard the music until 12, but I must say it stopped dead on the hour.I would have like to have been told there was a wedding when we booked. The staff are
very friendly and helpful. We booked for my birthday and they upgraded
us . Will stay again.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 July 2013

We arrived early but this was no problem for the staff but was disappointed that we were made to pay for the room before we got our key card as my mum was hot and a little hassled from the journey and just wanted to rest. explained this that she was also disabled and would drop back and pay when we had got her settled, too no avail please pay was the retort. POOR SERVICE. Other than that the hotel was nice we stayed in one of their lodges which are really good. We did not eat at the hotel so cant comment on the food except for breakfast which was nice. Had a drink in the bar in the evening but the service was very slow due to their being one barman and a wedding on. 20 mins wait for a pint and then he forgot my change. But all in all was a nice play t stay, may come again not sure yet

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank NorwichTubby
Reviewed 25 July 2013

Good location and easy to find - Good parking facilities. Excellent restaurant and great value at the carvery - only £3.49!!

But ...... Toilets in rooms 27 28 29 had trouble keeping the seat up - wouldn't stay up.
Also room 28, the lavatory itself was loose when sat on!
Breakfast was an excellent self serve buffet - but the coffee was very disappointing! Instead of a pot of fresh coffee or a cafetierre brought to the table, there was an urn with weak insipid brown liquid in it!

Room Tip: don't get a room at weekend overlooking the front - they have weddings on and loud disco til mid...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 July 2013

Myself and 2 work pals stayed for one night...a saturday. A wedding was in full swing until just after midnight. Not a problem. Excellent afternoon meal (carvery), very cheap too. Very nice room. Discount price (apparently) £44. Two small moans...toilet in the single room...(mens talk here) was a dick-trapper, it would not stay vertical. The bedside lamp was intermittent, so I fixed it. Major gripe....breakfast was very nice,, well organised, many choices of food...But..the coffee was appalling..a bitter dishwater dirge. certainly not real coffee. Why does a good hotel with medium prices, skimp on a small detail? In life & business..If you get the small things right.........etc...

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 July 2013

I stayed with a friend for three nights, mid-week, in separate double rooms.
This hotel clearly specialises in functions such as weddings, and as a result there is often music until midnight (as there was for us, on the Monday). This was not a problem for us, but several other things were:
-- my bed was very uncomfortable
-- my friend's shower did not work
-- my bathroom grimy the first day, with hairs etc. (though cleaned by the second day)
-- the bathroom is poorly designed, with the loo too close to the bath (so you have to sit with your legs together!)
-- there are lots of creaky floorboards and doors, so you can expect to be woken by other guests going to and from their rooms
-- breakfast was very poor: no service at all on one day, minimal service the others; cheap-quality sausages, cheap-quality orange juice, coffee too strong one day, too weak the others; hot food kept hot under heat lamps resulting in dried-out croissants, over-cooked eggs, etc.
-- piped music (and too loud) during breakfast -- first thing in the morning, what's wrong with silence or the sound of people talking to each other?!
-- not especially convenient for Norwich: if you don;t want to drive and deal with the one-way systems, car-parking, etc., it's a £7 taxi-ride or a bus at £2.50 each, each way. When I asked in Reception about the bus time-table they were clueless and gave me wrong information.
We each paid about £65 per night, and I now wish we'd paid more to stay somewhere else.
I think my photos make it look nicer than it really is!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends