“Solo Short Break”

and 1 more site!
Best Western Plus Oaklands Hotel
Ranked #22 of 50 Hotels in Norwich
Reviewed 28 October 2013

Stayed here for one night before family weekend in North Norfolk. Room was decent size, quite basic but clean and plenty of storage space, wardrobe/draws. Bathroom could have done with revamp and shower wasn't the best.
Part of my package included 3 course carvery, with a bottle of wine, but could only have red or white, (could not have rose!)
Breakfast again was lovely, lots of choice, from fry-up, toast, fruit juices, fresh fruit, cereals etc.
All in all worth the money I paid, was on a special deal.
One thing that did disappoint me was I arrived on crutches with a wheelie suitcase, I was on 3rd floor and there's no lift and I actually had to ask for someone to carry my bag up for me, a minor thing but would have been nice if I had been asked if I needed help.

Room Tip: Just remember there's no lift.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for Best Western Plus Oaklands Hotel

Reviewed 20 October 2013

Stayed for two nights due to work. Room was reasonable with normal facilities. Decent restaurant with variety of options. Some staff can be rather offish, as I waited to be served for a drink at the bar, due to lack of staff or whatever there excuse because the bar-man doubled up as reception and was on the phone. I went to reception and was rather abruptly told " you will have to wait". Forgive me for thinking, if I am a paying guest, have the correct number of staff available to deliever what you are charging the general public for.....nearly forgot thought you were in the Hospitality Industry?

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank northumberlandlad
Reviewed 13 October 2013

The first bedroom we were allocated had a locked bathroom that the hotel staff could not unlock and was also rather chilly! So we were allocated a room at the opposite end of the 1st floor and this was both warmer and all functioning!

It is a bit of a 'rabbit warren' with many doors and it's easy to get a bit confused heading back to the room at first!

Breakfast could have done with more staff as there were lengthy waits to be seated and served.

Toaster was very efficient and set properly for good toast quickly.

Room Tip: Good on-site parking is very useful. Some rooms face the car park and some end rooms have double as...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 October 2013

Spent one evening here on business and glad I only booked for the 1 night - moved to the Holiday Inns the next day.
Total disregard from the staff towards their clients, a very slow checking-in process and it was as though we didn't exist. Had problems with the key and had to go back 3 times and no real sincerity in the apology....
Rooms were okay-ish, but not the smartest - they all seemed somewhat tired and needed some TLC.
Probably best thing was the contract painter who was friendly and actually interacted with us

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 October 2013

The apartments are excellent, everything and more that you could possibly need

The restaurant is good with a varied menu, but it has a small bar area. Evenings can get noisy hence I stay in the apartments

Easy to get to with a small car park

Costs are reasonable

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 October 2013

did you ever think it would be possible to go to a hotel where the shower was so weak it was like standing under a watering can and the loo took about 15 minutes to fill up after flushing? Neither did I until I visited the oaklands !! , but these things happen I suppose so I duly reported the problem to the receptionist who said she would have maintenance fix the problem. 12 hours later we come back from a day sightseeing only to discover the problem hadn't been fixed and the explanation was that maintenance didn't know what was wrong so they couldn't do anything about it !!!!!!!, so if you like rooms that are filthy ( there were cobwebs all over the ceiling when we got there ) and a room with no loo then this is the place for you. one other thing when we were there there was some sort of party going on and the noise was truly HORRENDOUS all night long. I truly hated the place.

Room Tip: don't use room 24 - it was the one we were in
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank russ a
Reviewed 5 October 2013

The carvery at the Oaklands is usually full, but not too full to get a table. Two good slices of meat, from a choice of 3 joints, or a pork steak, and in excess of 10 veg, and all for £3.79. It may not be plush, and it may not be posh, but for hungry people on a tight budget, this place is hard to beat.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends